Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/)
-   -   2005 XC 90 Parking/Emergency Brake Problem (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/2005-xc-90-parking-emergency-brake-problem-5564/)

jonathan1280 04-29-2006 02:09 AM

2005 XC 90 Parking/Emergency Brake Problem

Hello All!

I have a reoccuring issue with the emergency/parking brake on my 2005 T5 AWD. It seems that what ever the mechanism that holds the cable to the ratcheting system of the pedal keeps coming loose and renders the brake useless. The first time it happened I took it to my dealership and after 3 hours or so they "fixed" it. About 2 months later, same thing happened again. I have called the dealership and talked at length with their service manager and asked him to please call Volvo and find out whats up. There have been no service bulletins regarding this problem. After 2 weeks of so of calling, they still don't have a word from Volvo what to do. Ideally, I want all new parts installed and tested by a competant mechanic. I don't think it is too much to ask.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Whatever the mechanical issue with the parking brake system is one thing. Not getting good service is another. Can anyone be of some help? Does anyone have some information that can show me how their parking brake cables are attached to the pedal so I can educate myself for the next time I talk to their service manager?

Thanks in advance

Best

Jonathan

tech 04-29-2006 02:24 AM

RE: 2005 XC 90 Parking/Emergency Brake Problem

It is a pain of a setup.
I have seen this before and had to replace the pedal setup.

If you can try to unbolt the pedal assembly from inside and look at it. This way you can figure out how it works. That would be the best way so you know exactly how it works.

jonathan1280 04-29-2006 01:11 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a try and post the results.

Best

Jonathan

Ihatespeedbumps 05-01-2006 12:14 AM

If you remove the 2 hex screws that hold the base of the parking brake cable in, you can remove the latch and look at the cable assembly and where it is routed under the dash. See if it is binding anywhere there. If no visible problems are there, follow the cable back and look for any problem areas. If I remember correctly, the spring mechanism that attatches to the hand release, dosen't have many parts to it.

jonathan1280 05-04-2006 03:02 AM

I'll be taking my XC90 to the dealership on Monday for work in the emergency/parking brake. I will have a loaner for a few days while they look into the problem. I'll post the results when I find out.

Best

Jonathan

jonathan1280 05-13-2006 02:45 PM

Update of the parking/emergency brake issues!

On Monday 5/8 I took my XC 90 to my dealership in GLenwood Springs Colorado, about 120 miles, a bit over 2 hour drive for me. They provided a loaner no problem. I thought this would be a simple overnite or one day repair. They also did my 15000 mile service, abit earlier then scheduled, no problem.
Then their top mechanic needed to go to Volvo school for some type of extra training, and they couldn't get to it. They called their regional rep as this is the first time they have encountered this type of issue withe the parking/emergency brake. They then got a brand new XC 90 off the lot and took the parking/ emergency brake pedal system apart to see what a new one would be like. (huh?difference between mine,2005, and a 2006?) They ordered new parts that of course did not come in overnite, as they scheduled. So The parts came in Friday 5/12 and then then proceeded to start rebuilding the system and of course did not finish on Friday. I hope it will be ready on Monday 5/15. So the question is should I look for a new Volvo dealership? Should they have known how to do this from the get go? What are Volvo trained mechanics trained with and for? Do I have unreal expectations for service? The loaner is a 2006 V50 and while a speedy fun vehicle, is sure does not seem like a Volvo, but that's a bit OT.
Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations from this dealership and their service. Although the service manager is very professional and has called every step of the way, but should I have to wait a week for this type of repair?

Best

Jonathan

tech 05-13-2006 06:27 PM

Sometimes it just ends up like that.
The reason I can say that is because I had been through the same thing working on a Customers car.

Ihatespeedbumps 05-16-2006 01:30 AM

I have been through the same thing as well. Sometimes the parts guys order the wrong thing. Sometimes you run into unexpected problems when you start on something like this. This sounds like a bit of an unusual problem, I'd be a little patient with them. I'm sure they'll get it right :)

jonathan1280 05-16-2006 02:56 AM

I'm off to Glenwood Springs tomorrow early to pick up my XC90 witht the repaired parking/emergency brake. The service manaager called today and said they are satisfied with the work. Replaced a bunch of parts with new parts, rebuilt the entire foot pedal unit with the newer "updated" parts. He said it had to do with a spring. I'll see what's up tomorrow and post what's up.

Best

Jonathan

jonathan1280 05-16-2006 11:43 PM

I picked up my XC90 today from the dealership.

They replaced/rebuilt the entire unit with newer parts. The only part that was reused was the foot pedal itself. It works fine! Finally I thihnk I have received a good repair.

Jonathan

tech 05-17-2006 01:08 AM

Congrats glad all is good.

chrisd111 09-15-2018 11:06 AM

The correct part numbers for the parking brake adjuster are: 30793437, 30793438. For a fix for many older Volvos when the cables are fine and the emergency brake just doesn't work.

ES6T 09-16-2018 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by chrisd111 (Post 465532)
The correct part numbers for the parking brake adjuster are: 30793437, 30793438. For a fix for many older Volvos when the cables are fine and the emergency brake just doesn't work.

If adjusting the parking brake the proper way doesn't work and the shoes are fine, then that means the cables are not fine- they are stretched and need replacement.

chrisd111 09-16-2018 04:46 PM

Cables

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 465560)
If adjusting the parking brake the proper way doesn't work and the shoes are fine, then that means the cables are not fine- they are stretched and need replacement.

I'm gonna say it again for the hearing impaired,... it's NOT the cables, it's the whole system, mostly the shoes are too loose, the 2 part numbers I have already mentioned need to be installed, the parking brakes used like at 20 mph till their clean, and then most likely adjusted tight again. You can play with the cables all day. AND for those of us that have replaced cables thinking that would fix this issue,....well that's how we know that changing the cables don't work. And this idea of cable stretch,...nonsense. These cables just don't stretch. Remember to loosen the adjuster in the tunnel before you start and remember to expand the adjuster in the tunnel when your done. It's best to remove the 4 seat bolts and slide the seat back slightly for access. Hopes this helps those that are actually having this issue.

Toneloc 04-09-2019 10:05 AM

Parking brake pedal mechanism

Folks, great to see I'm not the only one with the cable disconnecting problem.

My parking brake works fine, or did until the cable came off.

Pulled footwell up, pulled passenger seat out, loosened cable and reconnected and retightened. At the time I questioned myself and thought surely no one designed the cable to be held on by tension in the cable!!!!

After about three uses of parking brake, cable came back off.

I got into the footwell again and found a strange little bent paper clip type object. Wow! Is this actually some sort of cable retaining pin that connects to the pedal mechanism.

My problem now is that for the life of me, I can't see how the heck this connects to the mechanism to prevent the cable disconnecting.

Looking for some help if anyone has been here. Perhaps a picture of the pedal with cable connected and the retaining pin in place!

I've done lal the hard bits, just need a picture to work off to get retaining spring on.

Please help.
Thanks loads.
Tone

Originally Posted by chrisd111 (Post 465584)
I'm gonna say it again for the hearing impaired,... it's NOT the cables, it's the whole system, mostly the shoes are too loose, the 2 part numbers I have already mentioned need to be installed, the parking brakes used like at 20 mph till their clean, and then most likely adjusted tight again. You can play with the cables all day. AND for those of us that have replaced cables thinking that would fix this issue,....well that's how we know that changing the cables don't work. And this idea of cable stretch,...nonsense. These cables just don't stretch. Remember to loosen the adjuster in the tunnel before you start and remember to expand the adjuster in the tunnel when your done. It's best to remove the 4 seat bolts and slide the seat back slightly for access. Hopes this helps those that are actually having this issue.

chrisd111 04-09-2019 10:42 AM

Procedure is in Vida

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Toneloc (Post 472465)
Folks, great to see I'm not the only one with the cable disconnecting problem.

My parking brake works fine, or did until the cable came off.

Pulled footwell up, pulled passenger seat out, loosened cable and reconnected and retightened. At the time I questioned myself and thought surely no one designed the cable to be held on by tension in the cable!!!!

After about three uses of parking brake, cable came back off.

I got into the footwell again and found a strange little bent paper clip type object. Wow! Is this actually some sort of cable retaining pin that connects to the pedal mechanism.

My problem now is that for the life of me, I can't see how the heck this connects to the mechanism to prevent the cable disconnecting.

Looking for some help if anyone has been here. Perhaps a picture of the pedal with cable connected and the retaining pin in place!

I've done lal the hard bits, just need a picture to work off to get retaining spring on.

Please help.
Thanks loads.
Tone

TRY: How To - volvoXC.com

Also Howards Volvo site and a few others

Or search for XC90 parking brake adjusting, the clip keeps the expansion adjuster from rotating and is mostly necessary It's easy once you have done it once or twice.

Keep in mind Volvo issued a replacement assembly / cable assembly for those inline adjusters in the tunnel. If the clip falls in to the big hole in the floor generally a little searching with a extension magnet will find it.

also keep in mind that if your vehicle fails the MOT or inspection the adjustable parking brake shoe adjusters will most likely be necessary they are listed as 2 separate parts which means 4 parts for the rear parking brake shoes to get the assembly to the right tension and there is also a break in procedure to get the right tension the parking brakes actually will drag for a bit.

Or this: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...er-replacement

Or this: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...p?f=10&t=31716

:)

Toneloc 04-09-2019 10:53 AM

Thanks for getting back so quickly.
I may not have explained myself well enough. It is the pedal mechanism and the cable attachment to it, not the cable tensioner barrel.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tone

Originally Posted by chrisd111 (Post 472468)
TRY: How To - volvoXC.com

Also Howards Volvo site and a few others

Or search for XC90 parking brake adjusting, the clip keeps the expansion adjuster from rotating and is mostly necessary It's easy once you have done it once or twice.

Keep in mind Volvo issued a replacement assembly / cable assembly for those inline adjusters in the tunnel. If the clip falls in to the big hole in the floor generally a little searching with a extension magnet will find it.

also keep in mind that if your vehicle fails the MOT or inspection the adjustable parking brake shoe adjusters will most likely be necessary they are listed as 2 separate parts which means 4 parts for the rear parking brake shoes to get the assembly to the right tension and there is also a break in procedure to get the right tension the parking brakes actually will drag for a bit.

Or this: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...er-replacement

Or this: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...p?f=10&t=31716

:)

Toneloc 04-10-2019 05:18 AM

Apologies if I did not explain myself fully. I have no issues with the barrel mechanism under the armrest.

The problem is the cable and where it attaches to the pedal mechanism. I reconnected it to the ratchet, tightened the cable and hey presto after a few uses the cable popped back off the pedal.

I since found a little object in the footwell that looks like a bent paper clip. I believe this is what actaullly keeps the cable attached to the pedal and prevents it dropping off when releasing emergency brake.

I cannot see an obvious way to attach this clip to the pedal mechanics in order to keep the cable in place, even with the pedal mechanism removed and in my hand.

If someone had a good picture of the pedal mechanism with this cable retaining clip in place it would be a great help.

Thanks,
Tone

chrisd111 04-10-2019 08:40 AM

Foot Pedal parking brake

Originally Posted by Toneloc (Post 472502)
Apologies if I did not explain myself fully. I have no issues with the barrel mechanism under the armrest.

The problem is the cable and where it attaches to the pedal mechanism. I reconnected it to the ratchet, tightened the cable and hey presto after a few uses the cable popped back off the pedal.

I since found a little object in the footwell that looks like a bent paper clip. I believe this is what actaullly keeps the cable attached to the pedal and prevents it dropping off when releasing emergency brake.

I cannot see an obvious way to attach this clip to the pedal mechanics in order to keep the cable in place, even with the pedal mechanism removed and in my hand.

If someone had a good picture of the pedal mechanism with this cable retaining clip in place it would be a great help.

Thanks,
Tone

MAKE AND MODEL OF YOUR VOLVO?

There is a full explanation of how to adjust the foot pedal somewhere, do a search. There is also a replacement/ updated part for many of these foot pedals, Volvo changed a few things. If I can find time later I'll look for you but the procedure and updated part numbers are on many of these sites, most have detailed pictures as well as your local Volvo dealer could and should run off a copy of the relevant section. I gotta get back to wok. Good luck.

Toneloc 04-10-2019 08:47 AM

Thanks Chris.

Volvo Xc90 D5 2009.

I did look around this and other sites through 00's of posts and struggled to find anything on this.

My parking brake holds good when the cable stays on, which is a great start.

I'm reluctant to go down the new pedal route until I have at least managed to get the cable retaining clip back on to see if it holds.

I'll have another dig around the site to see what I can uncover picture wise.

Anythingbyou also come up with would be great.

Thanks again
Tone