Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/)
-   -   2005 XC90 T6 - Shuddering and clunking noise during acceleration (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/2005-xc90-t6-shuddering-clunking-noise-during-acceleration-69359/)

miki425 03-02-2013 07:04 PM

2005 XC90 T6 - Removing Transmission

(Today 5/15/13 - Further down this thread, I start my transmission drop project with pictures.)

(Below originally posted - 3/2/13)
I have a 2005 XC90 T6 with ~90K miles. I bought it used 8 months ago.

Problem:

1) Loud clunking/loud rattling noise (shuddering and perhaps slipping) coming from driver side lower engine compartment during acceleration such as going up hill, or trying to pass someone.
2) Noise comes with acceleration while going straight, and both left and right acceleration turns.
3) NO noise if gradual slow press of gas (slow and easy acceleration) from 0 to 65mph freeway speeds on flat surface - no issues with smooth shifting.
4) Clunking noise is less (but still there) when I step on gas pedal going backwards.
5) I was sitting on open hood engine area while my wife was driving up hill and I can hear noise coming from lower driver side of engine area.
6) Finaly, I jacked up the car (all wheels on air) and can hear the clunking noise likely coming from where the CV axle coming out of the transmission.

Here are the following things I have checked and done:

1) New plugs. No change. 95% certain not an engine problem (fuel, spark, coils... all ok) - however, I could be wrong.
2) No troublecode found (no Check engine light)
3) I changed out left CV axle (drive line). NO change.
4) Wheel bearings and bushings are good (no play). Again with car in the air, this would have elminated this factor.
5) Upper motor mount looks OK (no noise coming from top). Could use top rubber mount replacement though.
6) Transmission fluid looks ok. Fluid level is a tad on the low side (with engine running on level surface).

Next steps?

1) I want to eliminate any other factors before simply narrowing this down to a transmission issue. I want to start with easy stuff first.
2) Would transmission fluid change have positive impact? I am tired of simply throwing parts/money at it.
3) Not looking forward to a transmission change; however, is there instructions somewhere for DIY transmission change?

Thanks for any feedback.

schumicat 03-06-2013 12:08 PM

maybe record a sound clip of the noise and post on youtube and link. clunking sounds more like a suspension part or mounts than transmission, but that's just a guess. get a mechanic's stethescope (or use a broom handle or rubber tube) to try isolate exactly where the sound is coming from.

steph 03-08-2013 04:47 PM

Front driveshaft maybe ?!?

miki425 03-12-2013 03:58 PM

So yesterday I did further testing to narrow down the sound and confirmed that I have now joined the XC90 T6 Transmission failure club :-(. During the test drive and listening/feeling carefully, the clunking seems to be gear-related(like some gear-teeth were missing…pure speculation). Then with one last acceleration, the whole transmission slipped - F%$%&*K%^**. Will not go forwards nor backwards, only park works (thank god). I was able to coast to the side where I got my wife to come with our Expedition to pull it home. Good news is that I don’t have to chase where the problem is now. Bad news is Ih ave one of the most expensive problems this car can have.

So I spoke to a local Volvo dealer here and they told me that Volvo might beable to cover anywhere from 100% to substantially less than that, but that I would have to get it towed in, and pay for $135 inspection and there is no guarantee on quote.Or another option which I am contemplating is dropping the transmission myself and getting it rebuilt locally for $1500 (could be much less than what Volvo might be able to cover). Thanks again for reading. For education, I will search for methods on dropping the XC90 transmission myself.

steph 03-12-2013 06:59 PM

Oh man, that sucks...... I wish that for one, Volvo would have stepped to the plate and recall all those T6... for two, that the word would spread enough for people to steer clear from those T6 lemons.......

Could be wrong, but here is one thing worth researching before you spend a dime on that thing...... I read somewhere that the problem is not in the transmission itself, but more where it connects to the engine..... like uncompatibility or something.... Apparently, rebuilding the transmission alone, is just a rebuilt bomb waiting to explode again..... This would explain why Volvo never recalled the T6, cause they would have had to change the whole engine/transmission combo, which would have sent them directly to bankrupty...

But hey, as said, I just read that and I'm sure that someone will soon clarify..

anyways,

Good luck !

schumicat 03-12-2013 07:37 PM

that sucks. $1500 sounds pretty reasonable for a transmission rebuild if it a reputable builder. isn't it a GM or Ford trans? But I would take a shot and see if Volvo will give you a "goodwill" discount. if I had one of those trans I would buy an extended warranty.

xc90run 03-15-2013 05:39 AM

Please take it to Your local dealer. There is a lawsuit going on for the FAILURE of transmission on the T6 i own one and i know the hassle it is to deal with that. Mine was done for FREE!!! all cost of volvo

miki425 05-15-2013 11:20 PM

Dropping 2005 XC90 Transmission project

5 Attachment(s)
So after struggling with my local Volvo dealer to see if they would cover my transmission, they said NO. Since it has a REBUILT title, they will not cover the repair and quoted me something like $5K :mad:. Screw that! Lets see what I can do ;).

So it took a few months of researching and collecting some tools. I started to take on the task of dropping the transmission out myself. After a few days of free time after work, I was finally able to drop the lower sub frame. I secured the engine on top using an engine brace from Harbor Freight Tools. In the next few days, I will remove a few other parts (angle drive...) to get to the transmission. I will take more pictures along the way to share!

Feel free to ask questions and of course, please give me any tips or advice to consider along the way. I am learning as I go so bear with me.

miki425 05-19-2013 08:00 PM

Dropping sterring rack and angle drive

4 Attachment(s)
Today's activity...

miki425 07-19-2013 10:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I took some time off but was finally able to drop the transmission last week. Here are the pictures of the transmission being dropped slowly from below. Now I will bring it into the shop to have them split it apart and tell me what happened and to rebuild it again.

miki425 07-19-2013 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the transmission on the ground :)... ready to go to shop for rebuild.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/member...35-45-6769.jpg

ES6T 07-19-2013 12:31 PM

I don't even like replacing those on a lift, I couldn't imagine doing it on jack stands!

When going together, be sure the passenger axle goes in perfectly straight. It's very easy to damage the seals in the chain gear. Take a look inside it now to make sure they aren't already damaged. Much better to replace the seals now than to have to pull it out again.

miki425 07-20-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 359825)
I don't even like replacing those on a lift, I couldn't imagine doing it on jack stands!

When going together, be sure the passenger axle goes in perfectly straight. It's very easy to damage the seals in the chain gear. Take a look inside it now to make sure they aren't already damaged. Much better to replace the seals now than to have to pull it out again.

My first time dropping a transmission so i don't know any better :o, but the jack stands and some good tools made the process not so bad. Oh yes, the inner seal was busted up when I pulled out the passenger side axle, so that angle gear is being rebuilt also. Thanks for the tip in putting the axle back in straight.

ES6T 07-20-2013 05:16 PM

Might also be a good idea to replace the turbo return line gaskets and o-rings. They commonly leak and are much easier to do now with all that stuff removed.

miki425 07-28-2013 01:57 AM

Root Cause of failed 2005 T6 transmission: two broken internal chain

My rebuilt transmission came back yesterday. The root cause of my transmission failure was two broken internal chains:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/member...broke-6784.jpg

You can see the video and hear the rattling (50 sec in) in of the old broken transmission here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qwzp30vqy...2016.52.01.mp4

https://volvoforums.com/forum/member...44-17-6786.jpg

https://volvoforums.com/forum/member...44-06-6785.jpg

https://volvoforums.com/forum/member...44-42-6787.jpg

And here is a box of the old internal parts in the rebuild process:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/member...ssion-6783.jpg

creativeluf 07-29-2013 06:26 AM

Not sure, but mine might have the same problem but I can't dream of taking the transmission down like you are doing. You seem to be a genius to be able to do that DIY. I hope it doesn't get that tedious and expensive.
I would like to check if Volvo can cover it first.

miki425 08-06-2013 03:16 AM

SUCCESS! This weekend I was able to find some time and place the transmission back up into the engine. Yes, it was a pain, but reversal was easier than taking out. I spent nearly all day on Sunday, took my time and double checked everything. Then after work today, I spent some more time reinstalling the stuff on top of the engine.

Then I fired her up and let things run and warm up a bit. Checked all fluids. Took a few small reverse and forwards in the driveway (in case something went wrong and didn't want to be far from garage). All looks good. Then took a few mile run and all gears shift smoothly. So far so good.

xerojedi 09-25-2013 09:44 PM

if you dont mind me asking how much was your rebuild? sad to say bought mine in feb 2013 and it has 100,000 now has 109,000 miles and all i here is that noise... i was so happy to get this car and now i am regretting it... thanks for the vid helped me solve my delima thinking it was my left drive axel...

miki425 09-25-2013 10:57 PM

My rebuild ended up being $3500 (drop the transmission off at transmission shop and pick-up a week later). I shopped around in the Seattle area and overall I selected a solid shop with good reputation. With $3500 it came with 3-year warranty. If I had to do it all over again, I could drop the transmission in half the time. But as with anything new (virgin), I had to take it low and slow ;).

Its been nearly 2 months now I think, and all is good (as it should :D).

grimmeute 10-03-2013 08:10 PM

My 04 XC made noise and vibration at acceleration. Ended up being the center drive shaft. Thought it was tranny too. Volvo dealer said they would cover it free if it was and with 140k miles on it. That was few months ago.
Something you might look into on some of you.