Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 & newer Windshield Replacement - Insist on OEM glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 & newer Windshield Replacement - Insist on OEM glass

Has anyone had a confusing experience with a windshield replacement on a 2016 or newer XC90? I just had a strange encounter with Safelite.

My windshield got a damaged from one of the careless dump truck drivers not using his tarp. He dropped a rock, and it chipped my windshield, which is very common in Texas. I had it plugged, and it lasted about a year; then it started to crack and would not pass inspection.

I went to replace the windshield; my deductible is $1,000. Safelite stated to me on the phone " you can get an Aftermarket Windshield for only $699 and it is the same exact quality as the windshield from Volvo for $1,500. However, I would need to pay to have the cameras recalibrated at $300. I decided to buy the aftermarket windshield, made an appointment, and hung up. Then I got a great installer that called asking me, "why are you not going with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer ) glass?" I told him that Safelite said there was no difference. He said, "Trust me, you want OEM glass in your car. The aftermarket windshield does not fit properly, and Safelite tells us to put cardboard between the cameras above the review mirror and windshield to make it fit."

I called Safelite back and told them I decided to go with my insurance, but I wanted OEM glass. They try to discourage me from requesting OEM glass but finally agreed, and I made the proper claim online. However, they have no option for OEM glass on the website you have to call and have them change it in the system.

The next day a manager called me and tried to talk me out of the OEM glass, he stated, "the aftermarket glass was just as good", and he doubted my insurance would pay for it. He was just rude enough I almost canceled the entire order.

Today, I had a great installer from Safelite. He was super professional, and he agreed with all the technology in the XC90 you should only use OEM glass.

Why did Safelite want me to buy the aftermarket windshield? Money! They make more money on the aftermarket windshields then they do OEM glass from Volvo.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 09-22-2021, 02:23 PM

Thank you for posting this. I'm in this same quandry right now. Insurance won't cover OEM, but Volvo is adamant that I need it. Aftermarket glass places say their stuff is just fine, but they wouldn't know a computer if it fell on them. I'm trying to get the insurance company to pay for the calibration costs, then all I need to do is cover the difference in glass pricing.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:12 PM

As a follow up to this, I was advised by my insurance company to fix the glass, and then remit the receipt for payment. It worked like a charm and they paid for OEM. Apparently the insurance companies still live in the stone age when it comes to these new windshields and you just need to force their hand.