Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/)
-   -   2016 xc90 engine overheat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/2016-xc90-engine-overheat-99008/)

Allison Keppinger 01-31-2019 09:37 AM

2016 xc90 engine overheat

I purchased a 2016 Volvo XC90 May of 2018. In November 2018 my engine light came on and it was time for annual maintenance. I brought my car in to the Volvo dealership and they did the usual maintenance and replaced a coolant tube that was recalled. After I got my Volvo back the engine light began to come on again. I brought my car back to the dealership and they declared nothing was wrong. Then I began to get an alert that my engine was over heating and to stop driving. I brought the car back to the shop and they declared the temperature gauge was broken. They replaced this but the overheating message still appeared when they would attempt to drive the car, at idle it ran fine. They communicated with Volvo Headquarters and after weeks declared the problem was the water pump. After removing the water pump they could see it was damaged. They then replaced it, however the engine light was still appearing. They did more tests and found a clogged tube, which they replaced. My car is now seemingly running fine. However, with Volvo’s reputation this did not seem like problems a 2 year old car should have. Weeks of being car-less and thousands of dollars later. Still love my Volvo XC90, hope this message helps someone.

Steven 12199 02-25-2023 06:21 AM

Same problem

Originally Posted by Allison Keppinger (Post 470040)
I purchased a 2016 Volvo XC90 May of 2018. In November 2018 my engine light came on and it was time for annual maintenance. I brought my car in to the Volvo dealership and they did the usual maintenance and replaced a coolant tube that was recalled. After I got my Volvo back the engine light began to come on again. I brought my car back to the dealership and they declared nothing was wrong. Then I began to get an alert that my engine was over heating and to stop driving. I brought the car back to the shop and they declared the temperature gauge was broken. They replaced this but the overheating message still appeared when they would attempt to drive the car, at idle it ran fine. They communicated with Volvo Headquarters and after weeks declared the problem was the water pump. After removing the water pump they could see it was damaged. They then replaced it, however the engine light was still appearing. They did more tests and found a clogged tube, which they replaced. My car is now seemingly running fine. However, with Volvo’s reputation this did not seem like problems a 2 year old car should have. Weeks of being car-less and thousands of dollars later. Still love my Volvo XC90, hope this message helps someone.

Hello, I am having the same problem. Would
you have a part number of the hose they changed so that I can have them have a look at it. That would be very helpful.

vickh 02-26-2023 04:49 PM

is this a common problem, 2020 year too?

mt6127 02-27-2023 10:02 AM

best way to check is to google for volvo service bulletins or to contact a dealer for any model specific advisories. 2020 is too new to have any historical data.

Chris_D 02-28-2023 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 12199 (Post 521582)
Hello, I am having the same problem. Would
you have a part number of the hose they changed so that I can have them have a look at it. That would be very helpful.

I can almost guarantee the shop that replaced @Allison Keppinger 's coolant hose didn't 'burp' the system and air got trapped, causing the water pump to not work properly. Can't be sure that's your issue, but if you have the hose replaced make sure they 'burp' (get air out of) the system. Could just be a bad thermostat. Also - given that you posted at this time of year, it's also possible that the thermostat has frozen shut. Don't ignore overheating - get a competent mechanic to look at it soon; overheating can cause cylinder heads to warp/crack, then you're screwed.