Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question

This question may seem totally unrelated to my last one, but it's something I would sure appreciate clarification on. That automatic re-lock feature...... according to my owners manual, it is standard on all XC90's (as opposed to the optional auto-lock while car is moving). According to my dealership, this feature is designed to work this way: if the vehicle is locked, and someone hits the unlock button on their remote, the vehicle will re-lock itself in 2 minutes IF no door has been opened within those 2 minutes. If a door IS opened and then shut, no auto re-locking will occur.
Is this correct?? If so, what is the point of this feature? Say I park my car in some mall parking lot, get out, and forget to lock the doors...... too bad - no auto lock going to happen. But, say I am in my house, hit unlock on my car so one of my kids can go get their junk in or out of the car...... they have two minutes to get out there and open a door before the car re-locks itself?! Or - let's go back to the mall parking lot..... somebody gets a hold of my keys somehow - finds my car, hits unlock....... they have 2 minutes to enter the car? And if they decide to walk around and inspect the car first, even if the thing does re-lock, all they have to do is hit unlock again to get in.
SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS AUTO-RELOCK FEATURE???
I'd also love to know if this is something new, or how long Volvo has been putting it into their vehicles.
Thanks for whatever info you can provide. Owner's manual is vague on this. It states something like "unless a door has been opened"........ does that mean opened and left opened, or does it include opened and then shut?? Hard to tell from the manual.