Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beige Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beige Leather Care

Hello all,

The leather in my XC90 really takes on stains from denim that my family typically wears. I have not begun any leather cleaning or care and was wondering what the consensus is on a product to take care of the leather?

I've heard that a two part solution is preferred over a single product or wipe. I also know that Volvo offers a leather care kit for $50.

What do y'all use?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 AM

We get many many enquiries every week about dye transfer on pale coloured leathers.

Dye Transfer is the dyestuff transferred to leather from clothing or newsprint. It is more usually seen on light coloured, protected, leathers but it can occur on any leather, though not as noticeably.

As the title explains the dyes that are leached from jeans, clothing, newspapers etc. 'recolour' the leather. The longer or more aggressive the dyes are the harder it will be to remove as it will have moved further and deeper into the leather finish.

Dye transfer is not dirt and is not damaging to the leather finish, as dirt is, but it can look very unsightly.

[IMG][/IMG]

and give the appearance of being very dirty.

Each case of dye transfer is different as each finish type on the leather will vary slightly as will the dyes from whatever has caused the problem.

If treated quickly enough any good quality leather cleaner should remove the offending dye as it will still be on the surface of the leather. If a leather protector has been used this will also help as the dye will be held on the surface for longer and be cleaned easier.

Once the dyes have moved into the finish they will become more and more difficult to remove. No 'one' product can guarantee to remove the dye in these circumstances without damaging the finish.

Cleaning aggressively should be avoided as this may lead to damage of the finish as will the use of such things as Magic Sponges. Scrubbing at the leather will not help and may damage the finish which would then need replacing.

If cleaning has not resolved the problem and dye remains it is recommended that you use a jean & dye transfer remover kit which will contain specifically formulated products that can be safely tried without damaging the finish on the leather. If this cleaning process does not resolve the problem it is not necessarily becuase the products do not work but simply because the dye is very aggressive and has penetrated too deep into the finish for 'cleaning' processes to work. It will then be necessary to recolour/refinish the leather to completely resolve the problem.

Owners of pale and off-white leathers are recommended to adopt a gentle regular cleaning and protecting regime which will help inhibit this problem.

It is crucial to use a good quality leather protector on pale coloured car interiors to help keep the leather clean and avoid dye transfer issues. Regular cleaning is also important to help stop damage from dirt and abrasion. Avoid the use of 'conditioners' that contain oils and waxes as these will only attract more dirt which is counter productive.

Best regime:
Protect from new
Clean with a regualar maintenance cleaner
Deep clean once or twice a year

Hope this helps
Judyb
Leather Consultant

Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Judyb, which brand of leather cream do you recommend? I have cream leather in my C70, and right now it looks great, but I want to prevent it drying out, and I want to keep it supple and beautiful. What product do you recommend for cleaning and what product for maintaining the leather?

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexol products are very good and widely available at pep boys etc. grilot's garage interior cleaner is very effective at removing stains.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Should I use the Lexol neatsfoot? Lexol Neatsfoot Leather Dressing
(there are a lot of Lexol products!)
What about hide food? I've heard it is good. I just need something to moisturize the leather, as I would my own skin so that it stays supple. I don't want it to get shiny. Also, is there a certain product I should use on the dashboard?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 AM

Lexol products are designed for saddles which are very different to car interiors. Using neatsfoot oil on your leather interior can potentially damage the finish over time.
The only thing that will hydrate your leather and keep it supple is moisture which can be got from using water based products. Oils and wax based products should be avoided as they simply attract more dirt to the surface which us what we are trying to avoid in the first place!!
Hope this helps
Judyb

Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I use the Lexol leather conditioner that comes in a spray bottle. I spray it on and wipe it in like lotion. Have used it for years.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I use the Lexol leather conditioner that comes in a spray bottle. I spray it on and wipe it in like lotion. Have used it for years.
Thanks! Do you have a link to the particular leather conditioner you use? is this it? Lexol Leather Conditioner Has it kept your cream leather soft without darkening the color?

Thanks!

& Judyb, is there a particular brand/product you recommend? (I had thought of hide food b/c I know my dad used to use it on his old early 90's Volvo 240, but that car had black leather.)