Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken CD changer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken CD changer replacement

Hi all. I'm new here and I've found a lot of useful info for the my wife's '04 XC90 on this forum, so I just wanted to try to return the favor. The XC90's in-dash cd changer spit out 2 cds at once and quit working a week ago. We are putting the car up for sale so I need to fix it because Iintend to represent this car as a very pristine example that has been babied and dealer maintainedto the letter of the service schedule(which is true) - I'm not going to just sell it and hope whoever looks at it doesn't try the CD player. So I've been scouring the internet for info on the radio and cd unit and I found a lot of information here. Heres what I've learned that may be useful to others:

The Volvo sound system is a propietary unit, so if you need replacement parts/components, they must be from Volvo. I was quite unhappy to find that the CD changer alone was going to cost $640 new from Volvo, but I was determined to fix it. I found a deal on line for $581 and decided it was probably my least expensive choice. After reading this forum I came to believe that a lot of people have trouble with the in-dash CD changer, so on a lark (desperation really)I called my local dealer, Sesi Volvo, back and asked if there were any remanufactured units available. It's a good thing I wason the phone because I could have hugged the parts guy when he said that he had reman units in stock and for $319 which seems like an incredible bargain when you've alreadyresigned yourself to parting with a six-hundred dollar bill. Anyhow, the point is that he would have never mentioned the reman if I didn't specifically ask.Hope this helps save someone a few bucks.

Also I learned that it's easy to take the center stack apart bypopping offthe shifter bezel and taking out the 2 screws at the bottom of the center stack. The whole stack comes out as one unit. It can literally be removed in less than five minutes if you know how.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called my Dealer and they quoted me $490.00 for a reman. I found a company called BBA-Reman, they quoted me $300.00 to remanufactured my CD changer.