Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/)
-   -   Cannot Engage Key to Position III, Won't Start (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/cannot-engage-key-position-iii-wont-start-41510/)

dbak29 05-09-2010 09:11 AM

Cannot Engage Key to Position III, Won't Start

I am out of town, the key will not turn past position I/II. I can turn on accessories, radio, etc, but that is it. It will not turn to Position III to start engine. I have checked every fuse, re-set car battery and key battery. The locks work from key. Any help would be appreciated before I have a 100 mile tow. I do not have a second key with me. It also could be something more serious such as switch or security communication between key and car?

rob40cal 05-11-2010 08:31 PM

Did you try rocking the steering wheel back and forth. the steering wheel lock will prevent you from starting

KC1234 05-12-2010 11:55 PM

You need to take it to the dealer. The fault may be with the ignition. It happened to my XC90, and they had to get the part ordered from the factory in Sweden. Sorry.

dbak29 05-17-2010 07:37 PM

You were right. It was the ignition switch. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. But a hassle with 2 hour tow, unreliable tow company and an all day wait to find out issue. And it took 5 days to get part shipped from Germany. Amazing that this isn't stocked in the US. Thanks for the help.

Blownby 05-19-2010 09:03 AM

unfortunately when we order a Column lock for Volvo Vehicles,they still get shipped from Sweden directly.I dont even have a provision in my regular ordering system to order one.Its a special process for the column locks.And as of right now,I cant even have one overnight or anything.Im at the mercy of Volvo in Sweden.5-7 day wait.

KC1234 05-19-2010 10:36 AM

Good it was covered under warranty. They do have an alternate fix at the dealer. But it will be a inconvenience to the driver. They could do all the work in half a day by replacing ignition and giving you a new set to keys for starting the car. You will have to use the original factory keys for doors and alarm. The reason they have to order from the factory is because some codes are programmed to the ignition cylinder head or something which is associated with your VIN number. So every time they order, it gets programmed and you could still use the original factory keys....

Blownby 05-20-2010 08:52 AM

Very true.I can get a regular lock cylinder overnight from my warehouse,it just wont be the same key as the one you currently use in the ignition.

XCfella 09-06-2014 08:23 PM

Force it!

Same problem with our 2011 XC90. The dash lights up "on" but key won't rotate past "on" (to start position). Dealership said the car had to be repaired (under warranty).

Waited 3 hours for towtruck. Towtruck driver squirted lube in there, fiddled with it. Then asked "do you have a spare key?" Answer yes, 2 miles from here.

Tow Driver said "I'm going to force your key. Volvo has a design error in the key, we see it all the time. It gets stuck. Volvo dealer will replace the lock cylinder and charge either you or the warranty dept. $700. But I'm going to force it, and break the pin. If the key doesn't break first then your problem is solved, forever. I have done this many times on Volvos"

Tow truck driver forced the key, it popped, and then was perfectly normal again. Drove the car home, it seems fine. Quite mad at my dealer for not telling me and saving the 3 hours wait.

damien360 09-06-2014 09:02 PM

Xc fella. How does the tow truck driver know that they don't ever have the problem. I don't that he is checking in on the cars every now and then

ES6T 09-07-2014 07:11 AM

Yeah you're mad for now, until it binds again and you're stuck waiting for a tow. Its easy to be happy with someone who tells you what you want to hear, even if it's wrong.

XCfella 09-07-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by damien360 (Post 395623)
Xc fella. How does the tow truck driver know that they don't ever have the problem. I don't that he is checking in on the cars every now and then

Agreed. Maybe he learned it on the internet. Maybe he "just knows", some folks know their stuff but certainly I agree it's a risk. If members post their experiences the forum will "know" too someday (one way or the other).

He could have hooked up the car got a few hundred bucks by towing it to the dealer. But he elected to 'fix it' in 3 minutes and send us on our way.

JamesG 09-07-2014 09:26 AM

This fault is presumably the one discussed here: https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2...-switch-65553/.

Tholland1 07-19-2018 10:03 AM

Hi guys, my 2005 XC90 is experiencing a variant of this problem, actually 2 problems. A) the key is stuck in the out position (will not close back into the fob) and B) the ignition will not turn at all to position I, II or III...just locked up tight (sometimes). After some fiddling with the key and wheel it usually frees up but we have got to get this fixed. The plastic cover just to the rear of the steering wheel on the top and bottom is also loose, this was the way it was when we bought the car. I am not sure how to remove these plastic parts to get a look at the steering column and the ignition, not sure if these are snapped together or screwed in place? If they are screwed in place then something is broken as they are pretty loose. Anyway, my main priority is to fix the ignition switch and then move onto getting the key fixed (and getting a spare key as this is the only one we got with the car!). I see the
  • 05 XC70 Ignition Key Won't Turn In Switch
thread and am isfting thru that - just do not know how much of what I am reading is specific to the the XC70? Appreciate any guidance. Thanks!