Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Safety lock and Gas Cap door

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child Safety lock and Gas Cap door

Hey guys I have a 2005 XC 90 5 cylinder. It has 78,000 miles on the clock and recently I noticed that the drivers back door will not open unless opened from the outside like the child safety lock is on. The child safety lock switch is not engaged so I'm not sure why it won't open from the inside. Hoping you guys might know something I could check.

Also the little bar that comes in and locks the gas cap door will not engage, so the door can just be opened anytime. Hope these little minor problems are not precursors that something is going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm having the same issue with the child safety locks in my 05 S60. Did you have any luck correcting the problem?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:40 PM

I've got the same issue with the child safety locks on the back door. There has to be a solution.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM

This sounds like a safety issue and Volvo should cover this under warranty. I would ask! it won't cost anything to ask. I used to work for GM and anything safety related was cover along time. We fixed seat belt issues for free for up to 10 years. Good Luck, Bill

Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a recall on the gas door if I remember right. I would call and check up on that and have your VIN# ready. As far as the rear door goes, I would say something is wrong with the latch.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM

if you have the autolock activated ie once you start driving, all door lock, the rear doors will not open from the inside.
2 options
1 - open from outside
2- when you want to let people out from the back, hit the lock/unlock button on the driver or passenger door and they can be opened from the inside

Old 07-15-2009, 05:26 PM

The gas door lock has a 10 min delay from locking, check the gas door after 10 from locking.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Default resolution to door not opening?

I've owned a 2005 X90 for 4 weeks now. Just today, same rear door on driver's side stopped opening from the inside. Has anyone determined a fix to this? Are there some simple things I can check? The passenger's side door appears to work just fine from the inside.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:35 PM

I've found the solution to the safety lock on the passenger side door. If you open the door and look at the the inside of the door where the latch is there is a switch to utilize the safety lock or not.

Boy do I feel dumb for never having looked there. Duh!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Ok, this is going to sound strange. But on my 2005 XC90 I don't see the Child Safety Lock manual control. It's in the diagram in my owner's manual. But it is not on the door. There are a couple of allen key bolts but nothing else. On the rear gate hatch there is a Child Safety Lock control. But not on either of the rear doors. Has anyone else ever seen this? Am concerned because I just bought this car used a few weeks ago...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Default 2006 XC90 rear door won't open

I have a 2006 XC90. Both rear doors would not open with the inside handle. Not a child safety lock issue as they were not engaged. Not a central locking issue either, I did not have the optional electronic activation for safety locks, The issue was cheap Volvo plastic parts. On both sides the black plastic clip that holds the cable into the door release handle had broken,leaving the cable flapping around inside the door doing nothing. To "repair", you have to pop off the silver plastic cover over the door closing handle--lift it up and then out, I used a putty knife to get it loose. Then take out the two TORX screws that hold the door panel to the door. Then use the putty knife to pop the upper portion of the door panel away from the base of the window about 5 inches, you don't have to release the lower portion of the panel or loosen the handle plastic covering or loosen the window switch.You can see when you look down into the door where the cable is loose and place it back into the notch in the door handle. Make sure it is in right by flipping the door latch with your finger and pulling the inside handle to see it release the latch. If you have it in correctly. take a hot glue gun and glue all the edges of the plastic end of the cable to the handle mechanism. I then put pieces of thin cardboard onto the glued areas with more hot glue to make sure it doesn't pop out again. Then pop the upper portion of the panel back on and replace the TORX screws in the panel to the door. Snap your silver door handle back on and you are fixed.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old post but wanted to add the same issue. Our '05 shows the Child Safety Lock control in the manual, but they are absent from the door.

Originally Posted by crockerdt
Ok, this is going to sound strange. But on my 2005 XC90 I don't see the Child Safety Lock manual control. It's in the diagram in my owner's manual. But it is not on the door. There are a couple of allen key bolts but nothing else. On the rear gate hatch there is a Child Safety Lock control. But not on either of the rear doors. Has anyone else ever seen this? Am concerned because I just bought this car used a few weeks ago...

The following users liked this post:
berend.vd.molen (05-31-2024)