Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beams not working...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beams not working...

Hi,

I have a 2007 XC90 (3.2L) and the high beams are not working. I thought it had to be the switch (stalk), but I replaced it with a used one I bought on eBay and no luck. I have no idea what to try next. It's worth noting that while the car was a local shop getting new tires the owner hooked up his "Volvo Computer" that was able to control all sorts of things in the car and he was able to turn the high beams on using his laptop. I was hoping to figure this out on my own before giving up and bringing it back to him. Any suggestions are appreciated. A few notes below.

• The high beam indicator on the dash does not come on.
  • All other lights work including the driving lights.
  • The blinkers work.
  • The bulbs have been tested and are good.
Thank you.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into something similar. It may or may not be your issue but here goes...

I noticed that my high beams don't stay on unless I have the switch in the 12 o'clock position. They flash but don't actually stay on. See the below link for more info.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...engaged-29093/

If that's not the issue, not sure. Maybe a fuse? Not sure if there is such a thing but that's where my mind goes next. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 PM

Also, under the drive side steering wheel, there is a panel you need to open up with two torx screws. Under the panel are a bunch of fuses. There are two specific fuses for the highs.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 AM

Have you look at the motor?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...r-xc90-8678121
I am sure I have seen it less expensive than this link has it advertised

This was hard to double check, but, here is my double check link.
2007 Volvo XC90 Parts - Niello Volvo Parts

Old 06-16-2020, 06:18 AM
Default No hi beams

I have the same problem as below and no it’s not the dial on the dash, the hi beams won’t come on at all. I’m planning to replace the 2 fuses that control the driver and passenger hi beams and I will check the motor behind each light, but I find it hard to believe this is the problem when both went out at the same time. The stalk otherwise works fine for blinkers and messages. Is there a relay that I need to check?

Originally Posted by starcomp
Hi,

I have a 2007 XC90 (3.2L) and the high beams are not working. I thought it had to be the switch (stalk), but I replaced it with a used one I bought on eBay and no luck. I have no idea what to try next. It's worth noting that while the car was a local shop getting new tires the owner hooked up his "Volvo Computer" that was able to control all sorts of things in the car and he was able to turn the high beams on using his laptop. I was hoping to figure this out on my own before giving up and bringing it back to him. Any suggestions are appreciated. A few notes below.
  • The high beam indicator on the dash does not come on.
  • All other lights work including the driving lights.
  • The blinkers work.
  • The bulbs have been tested and are good.
Thank you.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:00 AM

I never did follow up and report what fixed my issue. It was the switch (stalk). The used one that I bought on ebay must have been bad as well. After putting a brand new one on from Volvo the issue was resolved...

Old 06-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Default Update

Thank you so much starcomp for the update. Will try that next!

Originally Posted by starcomp
I never did follow up and report what fixed my issue. It was the switch (stalk). The used one that I bought on ebay must have been bad as well. After putting a brand new one on from Volvo the issue was resolved...

Old 07-08-2020, 08:36 PM

This is my first Volvo. So for the high beams to stay on (light switch at 12o'clock) do I push my signal switch forward like most American cars, or pull it back past FTP and expect a click for them to stay on?

Old 07-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Did you not say the tech could turn them on using vida? well that would assume from the controller to lights is working this would include fuses and wiring. for me i would be looking at switch on stock or actual headlight switch first. lol never mind day late dollar short