Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Could Use Some Insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Could Use Some Insight

I have a 2006 Volvo XC90 and over the course of the last four months I’ve had to replace the crankshaft position sensor three different times. I’ll get it replaced and it lasts about a month before it goes out again (check engine light comes on and usually a week or two later it doesn’t start)…. But the crankshaft position sensor code causes it. Whenever it’s at the shop generally the mechanic (seen three different ones at this point) will say everything is fine and the engine sounds really good. I don’t want to have to have a bag of sensors to replace every month or so. What could be the cause of this? The only thing all the mechanics agree on is my fuel rate is low when it’s idling, but other than that, they say it’s fine.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Let me guess- you have a 2.5T?

Replace the starter.

A code from a sensor does not mean the sensor is bad.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:33 AM

Yeah it’s a 2.5. I replaced the starter about a month and a half ago - a brand new starter. I’ve replaced the starter, the ECM, air flow sensor, throttlebody cleaned out (but not replaced), an intake hose, spark plugs, and the crankshaft position sensor (that thing three times). I need help!!!

Old 12-16-2021, 06:37 AM

The other thing is: when it’s warm outside it starts right up with no problem, but when it’s chilly or cold it does a long crank before it starts. In the mornings it sorta does a long crank thing, but in the afternoons or having driven around to do errands it starts like a dream.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:29 AM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

I've had a couple of cars with damaged flexplates cause engine speed sensor codes - has any one checked for damage? Sometimes you can get cam or crank sensor codes because the cam timing is off. How many miles, when was the cam belt replaced?

As far as replacement speed sensors - 240/740/940 speed sensors failed frequently. So always had many in stock and replaced many. My techs would think they were bad on the 1992+ aluminum block cars given the history of the earlier cars. So I purchase, they install, then take back out and find the real problem - I don't think I've ever sold a later style engine speed sensor because it was "bad". Other than ones that were physically, visibly damaged by a foreign object in the bell housing or rodent damaged wiring. In fact I had 2 in stock that had been on the shelf for over 15 years when I sold.

Don't replace parts by code - or don't let your service provider replace parts by code. If they do and it's not fixed - have them put the old part back in, refund you the part cost, and either trust that they can find the real problem or find someone who can.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm,,,, I had a truck with similar symptoms... Starting problems were a mystery and sounded similar to what you describe above.

Garages and others could not figure it out.

Well.... It ended up being a faulty/weak battery but you would not know it. After the battery was replaced, I had no more problems.

A crankshaft position sensor code was the indicator after trying to start it.

Last edited by Batman-777; 12-16-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:30 PM

Thanks for all of your responses so far… I absolutely do appreciate it. I forgot to mention that I had the battery replaced along with all of the other things… AAA said I was due up for a new battery anyway so they swapped out the old one for one of theirs. And from what I’m reading a crankshaft sensor code is common or at least could mean a host of things wrong. The only thing that blows my mind about it is whenever I get a new sensor installed, it works properly. The only thing I can think of is I haven’t have the timing redone, and so I assume that possibly could be the problem. I unfortunately don’t have the dough to have the timing done.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:33 PM

I forgot to mention the vehicle has over 171,000 miles on it. Whenever it starts it sounds perfectly fine and it’s so quiet. It seems that whenever it’s chilly outside it acts really weird, otherwise it has zero issues.

I have only had the car for a short time… About a year and change, and don’t know when the cam was last serviced.