Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incorrect air filters listed at online website

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incorrect air filters listed at online website

I ran into a problem ordering a replacement air filter for our 2005 XC90 V-8 that I want to share with everyone, hopefully to avoid the 3 trips to the parts store scenario. I wrote the following email to Advance Auto this morning identifying the part numbers in question and what was wrong with the various filters I ordered. I'll post whatever information I get back from Advance Auto. Note they have some connection with Parts America, so I expect this will also be a problematMurray's and other parts stores...

Hi,

I’m writing to let you know about a part number issue I found while trying to buy an air filter for my 2005 Volvo XC90, with the 4.4L V-8 engine. For contact purposes, my name is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and can be reached at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

For my Volvo, your website calls out a Purolator filter, part number A35645. The Advance Auto store in my areaordered this part for me and it arrived a few days later. On receipt, it turned out this filter is not correct, as it is too long. The Purolator A35645 filter was about 3 inches too long when compared to the existing Volvo filter.

I returned the Purolator filter, and the store ordered the FRAM filter also listed on your website for me, specifically Fram part number CA9636. When it arrived I measured the filter before leaving the store and this filter is also incorrect, the length is about one inch too long at 13 inches. The store told me they could not help me any further (other than to sell me the K&N that I can’t afford, see next), so I was refunded the price of the filter and still need to find one.

Note that your website calls out the K&N Filter part number 332328. The description goes on to say it’s a unique filter and that the size is 11.875 inches long by 9 inches wide and height is 1.188 inches. I believe this should be the correct filter, because these dimensions match the measurements I took on the old Volvo air filter that’s currently still installed and in need of replacement. I didn’t order the K&N filter however, as it’s $51.99.

While working through this issue with the store I was surprised when they said they could not access the company website from within the store to see the K&N dimensions listed there, nor could they help me with finding a suitable equivalent filter in a Fram or Purolator by looking up dimensions. I think it’s pretty rotten that they (the store personnel) can’t see what I was looking up online before going to make my purchases as it created a lot of questions that weren’t necessary.

Please update your website with the correct part number filters, or at the least, remove the Fram and Purolator numbers above, as they are definitely incorrect for the 2005 Volvo XC90, with the 4.4L (269 c.i.d.) engine. I believe you will have this problem with all the Parts America member companies, including Advance Auto.

I will share the above with the membership of the online Volvo Forums website, so they can avoid this same issue when they look for the replacement air filter. I’ll be pleased to share your response and resolution path with the Volvo forum membership as well.

Thanks,

Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Incorrect air filters listed at online website

Hey all,

I got a response from Advance Auto regarding the air filters listed for the XC90 V-8. Here's the info they sent mefrom each company. I X'd outthenames and suchto protect the innocent. I looked up FCP Groton and they do not list an air filter for the V-8 XC90 either, leastways not for the 2005 when I checked yesterday and today....

Fram Response
Vendor response: XXXXX: It appears the consumer’s information is correct. I reviewed my findings with XXXXX and he updated the catalog database information to reflect the change. Unfortunately we do not at this time have a replacement filter for the Volvo filter #30636551. I have documented this complaint as file C0808126 and plan no further action. Please contact me if you have questions, comments, or concerns. Thank you, XXXXXXXXXX

Purolator response
Vendor Response: Engineering determined the A35645 is incorrect application/fit for the Volvo 4.4L and should not have been listed for this vehicle.
Final Resolution: Brentwood Catalog Department to correct E-Catalog application callout. XXXX XXXXXXXXXX Quality Manager 09/03/08

Guess the Volvo dealerships are going to be the best place to get the air filter until other manufacturers start to carry a replacement.

Hope this information helps,

bluemagicbus