Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD BAM! When driving off after disengaging the e-brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD BAM! When driving off after disengaging the e-brake

I changed my rear brakes this past weekend and noticed that since then I have an odd sound when I drive off.

So I will park the car and engage the ebrake. I will then return to the car after a while (overnight etc) and disengage the ebrake, then put it in reverse / drive and when i give it gas to drive off, BAAAM - it sounds like you hit something or ran over something. I can stop the car fully and drive off - nothing. If I dont use the ebrake - nothing.

What in the world could this be??? It is quite loud and really scared that crap out of me - like you hit another car or something.

Any ideas?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the parking brake uses brake shoes (like old style drum brakes) contacting the inside of the rear brake disc. did you change the discs? the shoes are adjustable (so they don't drag when e brake is off and to adjust them as they wear down). on most Euro cars (not sure about volvo) this is done by removing a lug nut, and using a flashlight to turn wheel until you can see the star adjuster, and using a long screwdriver to turn star adjuster to tigten or loosen shoes. it is hard if you haven't done it before because you do it blind. I would try adjusting first if that doesn't work you will have to take off disc and see what is going on. I replaced the e brake shoes on my 911 and it was a huge pain to get the little springs on and off (especially w/o correct tools).

Last edited by schumicat; 11-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to get time this weekend to address this but one last question.

If I press the parking brake and then release it and drive off, i get no sound at all. Only when it sits overnight or for an extended period of time does this make noise.

Do you think an adjustment of the parking brake (it was ABSOLUTELY loose to the point that it would not hold the car before I changed my rear brakes and still is equally as loose now) could resolve this or do we feel it is more likely to be separated parking brake shoes