Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Throttle body install. How do I program it

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Throttle body install. How do I program it

I have a 2006 XC90, 2.5 turbo. Just ordered a Volvo brand Throttle body 30711554. Will the car self program the throttle body?

Old 08-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mickdaddy
I have a 2006 XC90, 2.5 turbo. Just ordered a Volvo brand Throttle body 30711554. Will the car self program the throttle body?
your Volvo uses a ETA (electronic throttle actuator) - not an ETM (electronic throttle module) - so it will not require programming. Their might be a ECM (engine control module) software upgrade that might be a good idea to get from a shop that has the VIDA subscription. Than should be enough acronyms for today - whew!

Old 08-07-2016, 10:52 PM

Thanks Smith! My throttle body arrives in a few days ... Wish me luck

Last edited by Mickdaddy; 08-08-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 PM

After I installed by throttle body, the car did NOT seem to reprogram. XC90 ran horrible; barley moved.
Had it towed to dealer. Dealer just informed me that the throttle body won't take programming because it seems to have been installed on a previous vehicle, that it is not new (although part from Amazon was supposed to be new and genuine volvo; btw it appeared to be new when I opened) Further, that the throttle body would have to be cleared and that can only be done once installed back on that previous vehicle (so that isnt going to happen), Then reinstall back on my car and program. This sounds crazy to me. Really?

Now Im being asked to pay for a diagnostic fee. to see what problem is. I don't know what to believe.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mickdaddy
After I installed by throttle body, the car did NOT seem to reprogram. XC90 ran horrible; barley moved.
Had it towed to dealer. Dealer just informed me that the throttle body won't take programming because it seems to have been installed on a previous vehicle, that it is not new (although part from Amazon was supposed to be new and genuine volvo; btw it appeared to be new when I opened) Further, that the throttle body would have to be cleared and that can only be done once installed back on that previous vehicle (so that isnt going to happen), Then reinstall back on my car and program. This sounds crazy to me. Really?

Now Im being asked to pay for a diagnostic fee. to see what problem is. I don't know what to believe.
here is the installation instructions (Volvo still calls it a ETM even though it does not require software)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VIDA Print.pdf (957.6 KB, 11556 views)
Old 08-16-2016, 06:35 PM

just got off phone with service writer and I tried to remind him that what i have is an ETA not ETM. he seemed to understand the difference but was insistent that new throttle bodies need to be programmend. I asked if that was different to re calibrating. he said it is same thing.
I discussed the PDF you sent. Anyway, he held firm that they need to run a diagnosis and see why it wont take codes.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It won't "take codes" because there is no programming for it. Smith Volvo is correct. There is an adaption that is reset, as stated in the instructions, but that's it. That is not the same as the software needed on the ETMs.

As for cleaning it on the original car... That makes no sense. I have no idea what they are talking about.

A used one will work fine, provided it was working fine on the original car of course.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 AM

After 3 days at dealer service. They tell me i need new ECM. $2200 installed. I cant help but feel im being punished for installing my own throttle body. I dont know what else to do. They are the only dealer in Utah. And they know it.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Banned

OUCH - it's possible I guess, but I do not recall ever having to replace a ECM in any XC90

Old 08-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty rare. Try xemodex.com

Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM

They did admit they were wrong about trying to download software... I cant help but wonder if all my ECM needs is an update... ECM quoted at $1500 for part...

Last edited by Mickdaddy; 08-19-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:21 AM

ES6T... Even if I try xemodex, wouldnt i have to take back to dealer for programming?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

What codes are stored?

I thought xemodex had a program where you can send your ECM in to be rebuilt. You will need an ECM removal tool, but last I checked they were like $40 or $50. You'd still come out well ahead of $2200.

And if its $1500 for the part, they are ripping you off on programming. Unless they are charging multiple hours of diagnosis or something.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:48 AM

I ordered a Bosch E throttle from Rock Auto, and it went in with no issues. (a month ago) My old one is still fine, if you want it. I believe I incorrectly diagnosed my weird stutter engine problem as the throttle body, turned out to be the #1 coil. As long as my 05 is still compatible with your 06. My car did have 163k miles on it. Let me know what you think.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:05 PM

have car back from dealer...finally; but, there's a "but".
after dealer installed new ECM and wiring harness for throttle body I installed...$2200
I did get them to finally admit that the 2006 xc90 ETA throttle body does NOT need to be programed. They claimed to fully inspect the ECM and find it was faulty. After a week and a half I have my car back..
but, abt 50 miles out and check engine light is on again. code is p0089... OMG!
so, is it PEM, fuel filter, or another bad ECM? car seems to run ok, no performance issues...I DO NOT want to take this to dealer again, obviously.
I'm one frustrated dude!

Old 08-27-2016, 07:17 PM

thanks for offer arfstrom turns i'll need to keep the ETA i purchased. If you have any suggestions for fixing p0089... that would be great. fuel filter is less than 2 years old. replaced PEM with a used one last year.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:56 PM

So, car is running great... But have that p0089 code. Service manager knows i had a bad experience while they worked on throttle body and ECM. I guess i need to try and trust that i needed new ECM; its just been hard to do that. Anyway, manager gave me red carpet and did free diagnostic on p0089... They say its fuel pump. Pretty much makes sense. I have abt 1 year old fuel filter, pretty new fuel pressure senson (gen volvo) .
Any thoughts? Again car runs and performs great. No hesitations ...

Old 09-09-2016, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Diag should be free anyway, so not exactly red carpet. I would agree it's the pump if the filter and sensor have been replaced. Pretty easy diagnosis. They just read out the fuel pump duty cycle and compare to specs

Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 AM

I was being somewhat sarcastic with red carpet comment... Im doing the fuel pump myself. Is it best to purchase genuine volvo pump? I found a tutorial here for pump, but i have xc90 with third row of seats. Changing pump seams easy enough, however getting to it looks troublesome.
Thanks for all your input ES6T ... I really appreciate it.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Also thanks to you as well Smith Volvo. Im in the market for a fuel pump. Can you help with that? I will message you my VIN

Quick Reply: New Throttle body install. How do I program it