Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Skid Service Required

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Skid Service Required

2004 XC90 T6 115k miles, I Have Anti-Skid Service Required warning on continuously for 2 months, the AWD does not work only FWD now.

Bringing it to mechanic please let me know if you have any experience with this were best to look for problem.

Thanks

Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Default Yaw Control Sensor

It is most likely the Yaw Control Sensor that is located under the front passenger side seat. Do you have a sunroof? If so, it may be from clogged drains leaking down into the carpet and settling under the seat creating the opportunity for condensate to collect in the YCS leading to corrosion, etc and failure. Mine is doing the same thing.

I'm going to look at my local Volvo shop to see if they have a spare they can part from the XC90 they have in the back.

I would assume a dealer replacement would be around $3-500.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 AM

could also be a bad angle gear sleeve stripped out

Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM

It could be so many things, I would first eliminate the angle gear sleeve. with the car in park. get underneith it and see if you can turn the driveshaft going to the rear dif. If it doesn't spin then its electrical. If it does spin freely then your sleeve has stripped out. My sleeve stripped out, so I replaced it. I actually still had the anti skid light come on. Brought it to the dealer and they said the Stearing angle sensor in the steering wheel needs replaced.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM

I just came back from my dealer and was told it was the driver information module, and it would cost 2300 to replace. YIKES.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by radude_83
I just came back from my dealer and was told it was the driver information module, and it would cost 2300 to replace. YIKES.
you need a second opinion from another dealer

Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 PM

I second the second opinion. Even if it is the DEM I read there are companies out there that can rebuild them for a couple hundred dollars.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM

No new postings on the anti-skid? I was also told it is the DEM by the dealer. Was anyone able to get it done cheaper. Or any other opinions, on the "anti-skid service requested" message on the XC90?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by upsidedown
It could be so many things, I would first eliminate the angle gear sleeve. with the car in park. get underneith it and see if you can turn the driveshaft going to the rear dif. If it doesn't spin then its electrical. If it does spin freely then your sleeve has stripped out. My sleeve stripped out, so I replaced it. I actually still had the anti skid light come on. Brought it to the dealer and they said the Stearing angle sensor in the steering wheel needs replaced.
Either what this guy said or its your DEM.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 AM

this thread is full of fail. the OP never came back. others post wanting to know what happened, and incomplete info is given for possible solutions. We still dont know what the heck is wrong with OP car except the light is on and no further info is given.

Let this thread die, the OP never bother to update. this is a problem with allowing newly created account to post right away. Hit and run and never come back.

Guys wait till the OP posts a reply then offer more help,

Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by gshadow325
this thread is full of fail. the OP never came back. others post wanting to know what happened, and incomplete info is given for possible solutions. We still dont know what the heck is wrong with OP car except the light is on and no further info is given.

Let this thread die, the OP never bother to update. this is a problem with allowing newly created account to post right away. Hit and run and never come back.

Wow, you get mad easily.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM

For me, it was the steering angle sensor.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 AM

Where is the steering angle sensor located and where can it be sourced?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 PM
Default Anti skid service

My 04 xc90 AWD T6 has been showing that anti skid message so I took it to the dealer and they said it's the YAW SENSOR.
Now I think the transmission is slipping when I get to 55mph.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reynold Gayahpersad
My 04 xc90 AWD T6 has been showing that anti skid message so I took it to the dealer and they said it's the YAW SENSOR.
Now I think the transmission is slipping when I get to 55mph.
Sounds to me, you need more than a yaw sensor. Yaw hear.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Default Anti-Skid needs service - did the dealer s... me here?

Apologies if I am posting the wrong place as I am new here. I did see some discussions about anti skid but felt there a bunch of issues here and also was seeking some general advice about what to do now with the car and whether the Volvo dealer is taking me for a ride.

Bought a 2005 XC90T5 last year for $8,500 for my wife now with 93K miles (the car not my wife). Had a bunch of problems to start with but a month ago we get the anti skid needs service light. This was intermittent about 50-50% on and off. My local mechanic (not Volvo dealer) saw a bunch of faults and put it down to a new battery. I still had the warning and he said he did not have the high tech stuff to diagnose go to Volvo Service which I did. They said it was the Contact Reel so I agreed the fix at $734.03. The light came on again the next day so took it back and now they tell me the BCM needs replacing for around $1,500. They said there was a code indicating a BCM fault when I first brought it in but the thought the Contact Reel fix would clear it. There was also a PCV System Clogged cost $766 and Turbo Hose Oiled $202 estimated. This one visit had a total potential fix price of $734+$968 (PCV) +$1,500 (BCM) and I argued that had they told ne all the problem on the phone including the potential BCM issue as they had the code I would have taken the car to a dealer to CarMax to trade it or sell it as I was not about to throw over $3K at it and I was not about to sell it to a member of the public which might have been easy as anti skid light is off half the time and the PCV issue is not obvious.

As I am now thinking of selling the car I feel justified din asking for some or all of the $734.03 back from the dealer for a repair I would never have paid for had he told me the issues that might be occurring with the car. I know the BCM was a potential issue but I had a bad feeling about this car and anything that might go wrong seems to. Am I justified. Dealer says it is safe to drive in Southern California as there is no ice and little rain so maybe I never will skid. Dealer has some terrible review son YELP. Thoughts?

I called Volvo USA because I felt this dealer was in the wrong. I also said and it's true my last three Volvos have been dreadful (I have had 8) with a C70 transmission failures with 75K miles and an S60 "computer module" where I spent $1,500 and it has about 80K so thought Volvo USA might offers some help to a beleaguered loyal Volvo consumer. So far they have offered about $200 and so has the dealer. I have all the Volvo contacts, emails direct numbers but so far all ignored. Not sure I can post them here. Thoughts on that?

Shall I get rid of the car? Pay $3K less $400? Thanks for any help - Ron

Old 05-21-2017, 06:06 PM

I have a 2004 T6 AWD XC90....Getting the 'ANTI Skid, Service Required' msg.. took it to a dealer could not find the problem... Appears only front wheel is only working... Any ideas for the fix or an approach...

Old 05-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Default Anti Skid

I did get a code 023 displated...

Old 03-17-2020, 10:25 AM
a.k

Originally Posted by gshadow325

Why wait until the op replies? It's helpful to other people doing a search for the same problems so it would save the forum from redundant posts.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Three year old thread shows these don't die :-) Good advise on using the "Search forums" tool in the upper right corner to find related posts on a given topic. I'm sure there's quite a few to read up on the "anti-skid service required" message... You can also google and find the related threads on this board and others.

The following users liked this post:
a.k (03-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Anti-Skid Service Required