Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/)
-   -   RADIO Not Working Blank (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/radio-not-working-blank-64067/)

mcd0minguez 07-06-2012 05:04 PM

RADIO Not Working Blank

Ok so I unplugged my factory radio yesterday and when I plugged it back in the screen is now blank.

I can press the knob in twice and it will say "volvo premium sound" only for a few seconds and goes blank again.

I can get into the settings menu but thats all.... I NEED HELP

What I have done soo far to try to fix it

- I unhooked the car battery for a couple of hours

- I cycled the remote lock/unlock buttons

- I made sure all connections were in their proper places

- I checked fuses

- I left the car on overnight in acc.

mcd0minguez 07-09-2012 01:41 PM

re: radio

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of what I am getting...

nsheffer 07-10-2012 12:29 PM

why did you unplug the radio in the first place?

I'm just guessing here but there may be some sort of security on the radio itself to prevent theft. BMW does that and you have to enter a special code for your radio to enable everything again after it's been unplugged from the car.

Be careful unplugging electronics... I've seen youtube videos about disassembling the factory radio and if you unplug a specific wire harness, you'll end up getting the airbag light turned on and have to get it reset by the dealer. Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzECToCF6M

Hollys3 11-18-2017 03:02 PM

Following up

My car is doing that after unplugging the stereo today to remove a disc. Were you ever able to get a diagnosis? Much appreciated feed back!

cecilmeyer 12-16-2017 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hollys3 (Post 453462)
My car is doing that after unplugging the stereo today to remove a disc. Were you ever able to get a diagnosis? Much appreciated feed back!

If you get an airbag code you can buy a scanner for about $125 and re set yourself.Other than that you have to go to a shop.Maybe somebody else can give a tip on not using a scan tool but I have had no luck otherwise.

S. N 08-09-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcd0minguez (Post 321550)
Ok so I unplugged my factory radio yesterday and when I plugged it back in the screen is now blank.

I can press the knob in twice and it will say "volvo premium sound" only for a few seconds and goes blank again.

- I checked fuses

I have some problem. What I wall do..?

S. N 08-09-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mcd0minguez (Post 321550)

- I checked fuses

I have some problem.. What I wall do .?

Not Sure 09-11-2019 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mcd0minguez (Post 321839)
Here is a picture of what I am getting...

Did anyone ever figure this out? i have the same problem with my 2007 XC90 since i disconnected and reconnected the battery.

Megan Elizabeth 02-14-2021 04:29 PM

Same problem

Originally Posted by Not Sure (Post 477566)
Did anyone ever figure this out? i have the same problem with my 2007 XC90 since i disconnected and reconnected the battery.

I'm having this too

hoonk 02-14-2021 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Megan Elizabeth (Post 495046)
I'm having this too

Your first step would be scanning the car with an appropriate scan tool, VIDA would be best. And checking the wiring diagrams to make sure all fuses are good. The Sound system in a xc90 uses a fiber optic bus - so it's not as simple to diagnose as others.

Could need one of these, check the common failures near the bottom of the page

https://xemodex.com/us/product/infot...epair-service/

Not Sure 02-17-2021 02:48 PM

Easy Solution, no charge

Originally Posted by Megan Elizabeth (Post 495046)
I'm having this too

The problem was solved for me thusly: I brought the car in for another issue which at some point must have entailed disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the CORRECT way by the mechanic. When I got the car back the radio worked. Since there was no charge or mention on the bill of fixing the radio my suspicion is that it would take a competent mechanic (not me) 15 seconds of work to disconnect and reconnect the battery the right way while doing other repairs. My advice to you is wait until you need to service the vehicle for another issue and have the mechanics do the battery at that time.

Good luck!

Robert Pugliese 03-08-2021 07:13 PM

Battery disconnect

Originally Posted by Not Sure (Post 495176)
The problem was solved for me thusly: I brought the car in for another issue which at some point must have entailed disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the CORRECT way by the mechanic. When I got the car back the radio worked. Since there was no charge or mention on the bill of fixing the radio my suspicion is that it would take a competent mechanic (not me) 15 seconds of work to disconnect and reconnect the battery the right way while doing other repairs. My advice to you is wait until you need to service the vehicle for another issue and have the mechanics do the battery at that time.

Good luck!

So what IS the proper way to disconnect a battery?