Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Key

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Key

Hi All,
I recently lost my remote/fob key for my 2005 Volvo XC90. The dealership cost is upwards of $300 for replacement and programing. I've found sites that will sell me a replacement key that needs programming. Can I bring in an aftermarket key and have Volvo program it? Will they do this? Has anyone tried? Are there any other work arounds to avoiding the crazy dealership costs?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 AM

same here...need to find out if a dealership elsewhere in the country sells them for cheaper, like some Lexus, Mercedes dealerships, etc., and then what the programming fee is or if they can be programmed through a set of easy procedures at home?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 AM

apparently there some on ebay for $30 but i'm suspicious of that...and not programmed...

Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Default Replacement key

Hello, did you ever find out if the dealership will program a key purchased from ebay? How did your situation work out?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,the skinny on Volvo keys.

XC90 after 03 comes with what is called a KIR(Key integrated remote).
There are two parts of this KIR. The actual ignition key,and the remote.

The Key and remote BOTH require software and the vehicle has to be present at a volvo dealer for it to be downloaded.

The Key. It has to be cut to your vehicle,if it is ordered online this would be difficult since hardly anyone would be able to decipher the Volvo keycode and turn it into a cutting program to have a key cut. On top of having the correct key program the correct key also has to be cut.This specific key Bolts to the remote.

The Remote. Is specific in its design to be able to have the key bolted to it.Now,these can be found online,probly all over the place and for fairly good price. BUT,IT HAS TO COME IN THE ORIGINAL VOLVO PACKAGING!!! Not just a ziplock plastic bag with a volvo sticker on it.
The original packaging has a specific serial number and code sequence the service department needs to correctly download the remote. Each remote has a different number.

I hope I have cleared some of this up.If you have any questions,please feel free to PM me.

The following users liked this post:
scoob1 (04-12-2022)
Old 06-27-2020, 05:49 AM

For what it's worth, I had slightly different experience than @Blownby . Mine is a 2010 XC70. I bought an aftermarket key on Amazon for $59 from USAREMOTE. The key looks just like the original, but does not have a Volvo logo on it. I called two dealerships -- the first said they wouldn't try it, the second said they would, but if it didn't work, I'd still have to pay for the software download (which is fine bc if it didn't work, I'd have to buy a new key from them anyways. The packaging was not from Volvo, but did have a bar code and serial number that the dealer was able to use to program it. It worked! They charged $148, so about $210 all together. Much better than the $375 they said it would be for a new Volvo key and $450-600 that independent auto locksmiths quoted me. Short take -- it's worth buying aftermarket and shopping around for a dealer that will try to program it. If it doesn't work, return the $59 and get your money back.

jaimster (09-01-2022)
Old 06-27-2020, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Another option is to shop a dealer web store like Tasca Parts and buy a genuine volvo part at a discount then pay for the programming only at the local dealer. Not sure how the independent locksmith would get your key programmed short of having their own VIDA DICE - theyd probably drive it over to the dealer for you LOL

Old 08-04-2020, 02:48 PM

I wish I would have known this before, I just bought a 2009 Volvo XC90 yesterday and it only has one key. The dealer quoted me $500 for a replacement key! Anyone else know how to get one cheaper? Local locksmith stated they couldn’t do a Volvo key...
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Theomedic
quoted me $500 for a replacement key!
What kind of key do you want? Offered are -
The switchblade key, which is a key and remote in two parts bolted together
A rubber handled key and separate triangular remote
A rubber handled key only
A plastic handled key only

All of those require a subscription to VIDA, volvos service program for a download to tell the car to accept the signal from the new key and the new remote if purchased. The stolen/hacked 2014D Vida that everyone talks about and uses Cannot do downloads. Some independents, (or even you can) have a subscription, the dealers have a full time subscription. Subscriptions range from ~$70 for a three day to ~$7000 for a year. The download is maybe $20 each for both a key and a remote, then a labor charge is added for the techs time. It takes maybe 1/2 hour if you are lucky and competent to perform all the steps to program for a new key.

A ebay key needing programming won't do you much good - it will need to be cut also. And there's a possibility of it being copied wrong (I used to have a nice collection of improperly cut keys from the dealer in my top desk drawer at work)

I would order a rubber handled key only from the dealer, using the VIN. (hoping that all the locks have not been changed) That way if it does not turn or is notchy in the ignition or door you won't have to pay for it. Then take the car into the Vida subscription holder of your choice and have the car programmed to accept the new key. The key and the car have to be in the same place as VIDA, it cannot be done (as far as I know) any other way. Cheapest I heard a few years ago was ~$160 from one of my local dealers for a rubber handled key with no remote.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:07 AM

just got quoted 510 cad from a dealer here so ima figure out different way.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:12 AM

I have never seen a situation where keys have been bought from ebay and the dealer is programming it. Those who got keys from ebay prefer to have locksmith service for key programming.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:13 AM

I have never seen a situation where keys have been bought from ebay and the dealer is programming it. Those who got keys from ebay prefer to have locksmith service for key programming.

Last edited by Mauricewhite; 08-15-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:52 AM

You can figure it out in other ways also if you know the procedure of doing the replacement. You can do it without spending money on hiring a locksmith.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:47 AM

Instead of hiring a dealer, you can call a local locksmith. They can make a duplicate key for you by cutting a blank key and then programs it properly with the help of special equipment and tools. A locksmith close to your home will give you the best service at an affordable price.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jamila oda
They can make a duplicate key for you by cutting a blank key and then programs it properly with the help of special equipment and tools.
Yes that is true, a locksmith with the appropriate machine can copy your existing key - and it MIGHT actually turn in the door and the ignition lock. Then they would need a subscription to VIDA and the appropriate interface to program the car to accept the new key.

If you order a key from Volvo using the VIN, it's a more exact cut - and you don't have to pay for the key if it does not work.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by etttel6
Hello, did you ever find out if the dealership will program a key purchased from ebay? How did your situation work out?
They have systems and devices to cut and program those keys. But i contacted locksmith camden for car key programming.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:31 PM
Default alternative to buying a new fob and key

Hope you get this. I own a volvo c30 2011
I am a compulsive key looser and so far have lost 2 keys in 5 years even with a lanyard and large coin purse tied on.
So I am looking for an alternative and I would like you opinion on whether you think it would work.
1. Use only the actual key to open the door manually
2. Keep a key and programmed fob inside the car secured by a lanyard. It would stay in the car permanently.
3. If I lose the actual metal key then I could have it replaced at I assume, less than 200 dollars.
4. I am not concerned about security issues.

Last edited by laurawilliams-may; 06-12-2021 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add info
earcuffs (07-15-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by laurawilliams-may
I am a compulsive key looser and so far have lost 2 keys in 5 years even with a lanyard and large coin purse tied on.
Attach a apple air tag or tile to your keys, - as long as you don't misplace your phone -

laurawilliams-may (06-13-2021)
Old 04-05-2022, 04:53 PM
Default Getting a key cut

Hi,
I have two working keys but the blades does not stay in the shut position in either. I have two blanks and need them cutting using my existing as a pattern.
Where can this be done in the UK?
Thanks
Colin.

scoob1 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Blownby
Ok,the skinny on Volvo keys.

XC90 after 03 comes with what is called a KIR(Key integrated remote).
There are two parts of this KIR. The actual ignition key,and the remote.

The Key and remote BOTH require software and the vehicle has to be present at a volvo dealer for it to be downloaded.

The Key. It has to be cut to your vehicle,if it is ordered online this would be difficult since hardly anyone would be able to decipher the Volvo keycode and turn it into a cutting program to have a key cut. On top of having the correct key program the correct key also has to be cut.This specific key Bolts to the remote.

The Remote. Is specific in its design to be able to have the key bolted to it.Now,these can be found online,probly all over the place and for fairly good price. BUT,IT HAS TO COME IN THE ORIGINAL VOLVO PACKAGING!!! Not just a ziplock plastic bag with a volvo sticker on it.
The original packaging has a specific serial number and code sequence the service department needs to correctly download the remote. Each remote has a different number.

I hope I have cleared some of this up.If you have any questions,please feel free to PM me.

Mercedes has the ability to cut keys--based on the customer providing the VIN. I'd think that the Volvo dealer should be able to do the same (if they are as much of a group of control freaks as MB) -but I'd be worried if a 3rd party could do this...

Quick Reply: Replacement Key