Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 Rear Wheel Bearing DIY Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XC90 Rear Wheel Bearing DIY Replacement

Just thought I'd share my experience replacing rear wheel bearings in an XC90. I've linked a video that does a much better job than I could ever do showing how it's done. I've thrown in some supplemental info from my experience specifically that might be helpful.

Car
2005 XC90 2.5T FWD

Issue
Loud "wha, wha, wha" noise at highway speeds. The issue was made worse when turning which loaded weight to one side of the car.

As a side note, I love these AutoDoc videos. They're strangely soothing, lol.

Here's another good tutorial with pics from another site.

After watching the video here are a few things I ran into. Keep in mind the bolt sizes varied from the video to what was actually on my car.

1. The brake caliper bolts were 13mm on the drivers side and 14mm on the passenger side. Similarly, the bearing assembly bolts were 15mm on the drivers side and 17mm on the passenger side. Why? I have no idea.

2. My XC90 is only FWD so I didn't have an axle to deal with. My bearing assemblies just had a small piece of spline that filled and sealed the back of the bearing assembly. Just like the axle, this piece of spline screwed into the center bearing assembly bolt.

3. The bolt in the center of the bearing assembly wasn't 13mm as in the video but rather 14mm. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

4. My bearing assembly was WELDED to the knuckle by rust. The video is great. "Tap, tap" and it falls out. In real life it took an 8lb sledge hammer to get the job done. Both assemblies looked like something chewed on them by the time I was done.

5. I didn't need to remove the bolt holding the stay bar to the knuckle. I was able to get all 4 bearing assembly bolts out without messing with that.

6. Unlike the video my center bolt came with a thick rubber grommet and metal sleeve. It's designed to seal the outside end of the bearing assembly. The metal sleeve fits into the rubber grommet. The order is bolt head, large washer, rubber grommet, metal sleeve, rest of bolt. Pretty much just reassemble like it came out.

That's pretty much it. It's not a hard job but because you're working on an area of the car that sees the elements rust might be your biggest issue.