Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was thinking of a used XC90: are they really that unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was thinking of a used XC90: are they really that unreliable?

My wife and are looking for a tow vehicle. We thought we'd finally found the perfect mix of comfort (the seats, the legroom in front passenger), towing capability, etc. Then, we start looking online about the XC90. First the T6 transmission issue and then reports of stay away in general. Are people having that many problems with the XC90? Should we stay away and just break down and find a "truck" SUV?

Thanks in advance for any advice. This is the first time either of us had thought of looking at a Volvo. We were hoping that since the Ford Freestyle was based on it (and we love the comfort & utility of the Freestyle) and Volvo having a much better historical track record that it would be a good bet, but, well...

Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Your mind set was very similar to my own when I purchased my XC V8. Do I really want a Volvo? Do I want the V8 or the six? How is it going to be in relation to what else is out there? ...and so on.

After a year and 17K miles this vehicle is turning out to be the best vehicle I've ever owned and over my long life I've owned a lot of cars/SUVs/pickups. It's not the fastest nor the best handling, but is the best OVER-ALL vehicles I've owned. I do all routine things and so far it's the only vehicle I've ever owned that has never been back to the dealer because its never needed to go back.

I just posted on the question titled "Help" so look there for a different answer, but you could do a lot worse than a Volvo XC. If you are going to buy used stick to the later models and I'd suggest one coming off lease with some warranty remaining.

If you have the opportunity I'd also suggest the V8 over the I6. I drove them both before ordering my V8. The V8 is a more relaxed cruiser where the I6 has to work harder to move the mass around. It just seemed "busier" that the V8. It's my belief that MAY be of importance as the vehicle gets older (i.e. transmission issues), if you are one that typically keeps your vehicle a long time. The economy seems to be about the same for both.

I tow about 10% of the miles of the last several vehicles I've owned and have towed about 1,300 miles on this one so far. About 3,500 pounds. 16 MPG on mostly flat towing. I've towed the same, and in a couple of instances, heavier loads with an F150 (97), Explorer V6 (92), and Explorer V8 (00). this is the only time I've towed something and didn't know it was back there (the F150 was a close second). For the first time its been a joy to tow. Don't know how it will tow a heavier load, but up to 3,500 pounds it was a pleasure. Note: Install an after market hitch yourself and buy Volvo's wiring. The dealer wants your first born to install a hitch (45 minutes yourself). My dealer wanted $1,100. Told him to call me when he quit the recreational drugs. Myself: $300 total.

Need, but have not had a use for the 4x4 system yet so can't comment on that. Others are impressed.

I'm 6'2" and my son is 6'5" and it's REALLY nice to have a vehicle we can both fit comfortably.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM

My wife picked up an off lease 2005 XC90 V8 last month and she loves it. I put a tow bar and lights on it for under $250 which included the 7 prong RV light/wire plug to use all my truck adapters. My wife loves the car. While I still do most of my towing with my '97 Ford F250 PowerStroke Diesel, it is nice to have the leg room and comfortable seating for 7 and still be able to tow lighter loads - such as rafts & bikes. It is not a workhorse tow machine by any means, but up to around 4000 lbs I think it is fine.

Snowed last weekend, so I took it up high into the mountains where they had not plowed. The 4X4 worked well enough, once again not the 8800 lb truck mine is, but safe and sturdy. The XC90 is spacious, comfortable, seems safe and has a very nice ride. Fun to drive, more a sports car than a truck and we picked it up for 1/3 the new sticker price with a 25,000 mile power train warranty.

My wife is happy, which makes me happy. I find it fun to drive and we have been averaging around 23 mpg rural mountain driving. I know Volvo's have a reputation for being expensive to fix but since I do all my own mechanic work and have found cheep sources for parts I do not think that will be an issue. So far I am extremely happy with the purchase.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BackCountry
My wife is happy, which makes me happy.
Happy wife; Happy life !

BTW-where do you get your parts from? Online?
Thanks,
John.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM

If you want to haul things or TOW things, XC90 regular is not the way to go, I just bought a 2010 xc90 I6 AWD and it's mainly for the space and 7 seater purpose, unless you get the V8, you won't have enough power. So if you want one, get the V8 version. But overall, I love this SUV and give it 5 stars for it's comfy~