Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts re: 2005 XC90 2.5T ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts re: 2005 XC90 2.5T ?

Hi,

I'm looking at a 2005 2.5T w/ 99K (clean title & two owners) for $4,600. Due to its age, it'll need a a new timing belt and water pump for $1,000. It seems to tick a lot of boxes on paper: it's safe, has good space, AWD, and not the worst gas mileage for that size SUV. It appears to be well-maintained, and mechanic is inspecting it -- just to be sure it's in good shape.

But I have friends who've own XC90s, and they've cautioned me that in they ultimately sold theirs because of reliability / expense of ownership issues.

I'm curious to hear what the general take is on this XC90's year / configuration, other users' experiences with it, what kinds of repairs / expense I ought to consider (and how I might mitigate them) -- and generally if I should avoid this vehicle or go for it (i.e., considering model, mileage and cost).

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Its a 17 year old car... It will have reliability issues and cost of ownership concerns. Even my wife's 2004 Highlander (most reliable car ever made per surveys) has had some big ticket repairs in the past few years - engine seals, brake calipers etc. I guess the buy decision is what you intend to use it for - daily driver? (do you have a back up plan) short haul driving vs long trips? towing? The timing belt is supposed to be done every 10 years or 120K miles (whichever comes first) so it should already be on its second belt with the next one due within a year or two. As to the water pump, is it leaking? Volvo water pumps are very stout so you shouldn't assume it needs to be done but doing when the belt is being done is a reasonable choice for the second go round. Are you able to do the work yourself or do you have a trusty indy shop? Dealer maintenance for these old boats can really be a deal breaker IMHO.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you go to the expense of a timing belt/water pump check around the interior of the engine space to see if there is a sticker that tells if the belt has been changed. The recommended mileage for changing the belt is 80-90K and it might have already been done. If there is no sticker, pull off the top of the timing belt cover and visually inspect the belt. If you see any sign of wear, fraying, or oil it needs changing. You can use the key to bump and rotate the engine and inspect the entire belt. I bought my 2005 XC90 at 140K and there was no sticker but when I inspected the belt it was in excellent condition indicating a recent belt change.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Since the topic of timing belt replacement intervals comes up regularly, here's a link to Volvo's service bulletin with recommended intervals by engine models through 2015:

https://cdn.volvotechinfo.com/upload...ltInterval.pdf

probably should drop this on a sticky...

Old 07-25-2022, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine is grest

Originally Posted by Vvrmbrain
Hi,

I'm looking at a 2005 2.5T w/ 99K (clean title & two owners) for $4,600. Due to its age, it'll need a a new timing belt and water pump for $1,000. It seems to tick a lot of boxes on paper: it's safe, has good space, AWD, and not the worst gas mileage for that size SUV. It appears to be well-maintained, and mechanic is inspecting it -- just to be sure it's in good shape.

But I have friends who've own XC90s, and they've cautioned me that in they ultimately sold theirs because of reliability / expense of ownership issues.

I'm curious to hear what the general take is on this XC90's year / configuration, other users' experiences with it, what kinds of repairs / expense I ought to consider (and how I might mitigate them) -- and generally if I should avoid this vehicle or go for it (i.e., considering model, mileage and cost).

Thanks!
j

I purchased the same model 4 years ago for $3500 ,Cdn up here in Prince Edward Island. At that time it had 280000 km - now has 350000. The only work I've done is replace last part of exhaust system, timing belt/water-pump, and an intermittent fuel pressure sensor. (and.. of course, the usual oil changes). It's been completely reliable in the harsh climate; - with constant salt in the air from the sea. - Mike