Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turtle Mode in brand new XC90 Recharge

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turtle Mode in brand new XC90 Recharge

Hi all. Just purchased my first Volvo, a 2021 XC90 Recharge. It's been running beautifully for the 1 month that I have had it. On Sunday, however, we had the car all packed up to go on a small road trip, kids and all, and when we started the engine we got the dreaded Turtle Mode icon. I had no idea what that was and had to google it, and we ended up having to have the vehicle towed to the service center. Has anyone experienced this with a brand new one? I'm so worried it will happen again. It's still being worked on, and they will contact me after they have talked with factory people to figure out why it happened, but I just can't believe a 1 month old luxury car literally could not function. I'd appreciate any thoughts about why this happens and if it is doomed to repeat itself.

The following users liked this post:
Asb20 (06-29-2022)
Old 07-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turtle mode

My 2 year old xc90 T8 hybrid has done it twice in one month. First time in May it suddenly lost power and came up with" parking brake temporarily unavailable" and the car came to a halt. I could switch off and on again and gears engaged on drive but went on turtle mode. I was towed to garage. Marshall volvo could not find the fault for 3 weeks and finally in consultation with Sweden they replaced the gear stick. Ran fine for 3 weeks and done it again today. Very disappointed. Today I cannot restart. It says not in P mode.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:11 PM
Default Turtle mode

My 2 year old xc90 T8 hybrid has done it twice in one month. First time in May it suddenly lost power and came up with" parking brake temporarily unavailable" and the car came to a halt. I could switch off and on again and gears engaged on drive but went on turtle mode. I was towed to garage. Marshall volvo could not find the fault for 3 weeks and finally in consultation with Sweden they replaced the gear stick. Ran fine for 3 weeks and done it again today. Very disappointed. Today I cannot restart. It says not in P mode.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Samdutta
At my dealership, they updated software and ran a bunch of tests. After a week, they talked to someone at the factory who said they should look at some a/c sensor that was "hard to access." When they got to it, they said the sensor was slightly disconnected which likely caused the error code that came up for my turtle mode. I am hopeful that was the issue and it never ever happens again!

Old 06-21-2022, 08:48 AM
Default Turtle mode

I have a 2016 volvo xc90 hybrid t8 and the same icon pop out recently I was in the freeway going 60 mxh and I heard a clinch then the turtle icon together whit check engine light the car starts to shake and a bunch of cars almost crash in to us a was whit my hole family really scary I can't believe that volvo haven't find a solution for this problem since 2016