Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 '04 T6 Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 '04 T6 Engine Replacement

Hello all.

Writing from Costa Rica in Central America.

I am living a 8 months nightmare so far, and after all that time trying to fix a T6 engine for my 2004 XC90, and we finally gave up and decided to replace the engine.

I have looked at several options, but I am still worried that changing the engine will continue this nightmare, because those many computers, sensors and lots of stuff that Volvo had included in this car to make life easier (sarcasm).

Is there any guide or tips or information that I can get to make this process easier?

For instance, what special tools additional to those that usually are already in shops are we going to need. What scanners, software or whatever special requirements do we need to do this. Any special detail when buying this engine at used parts stores? etc.

The volvo dealer here in Costa Rica is the worst dealer around the world (pretty sure of that), and won't give me any support because the car was imported directly from USA and was not sold by them. Beside that, their technicians are just part replacers and they ignore anything that is not stated in the service manual, so they are not helpful at all.

I appreciate all help that you experts can give us. I love this car, but I'd prefer to have it rolling on the streets.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Charlie from Costa Rica