Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/)
-   -   XC90 Brakes-how difficult to change? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/xc90-brakes-how-difficult-change-4777/)

m1964 03-05-2006 01:35 AM

XC90 Brakes-how difficult to change?

I have been changing brakes on my '95 850, and wonder if set-up is any different on XC90. Also, what tools needed to replace front brakes?

Thanks

'05 V8

tech 03-05-2006 03:11 AM

RE: XC90 Brakes-how difficult to change?

The tools are the Same but it is a little different.
It is kind of hard to explain. The pain is with the springs on the pads. Once you try and figure it out you will see what I mean.

dmelvi007 03-11-2006 05:34 AM

Use a screw driver to pop out the spring. Pry it out from the middle and make sure it doesn't it you in the face or something. In my opnion the easiest front brakes other than the new R's.

m1964 03-14-2006 02:57 AM

Thanks to all - I will be rotating tires this/ next weekend, will look closely at the brakes.

Tech-I did not get to Cruise control switch yet-was working 6 days a week.

white98z 06-10-2006 06:53 PM

Just stick a flat blade screw driver in between the spring and caliper pop it off then compress the pads with the same screw driver then the 2 7mm allens on the back of the caliper. Pop the old pads out. Before you put the new pads in use some of the volvo pink brake grease for the back of the pads. Install the new pads bolt on the caliper. Then reinstall the clip slide one side under with the center started old the center with one hand and pull the other side down get if a tap with the end of the screw driver to make sure it is seated bolt up the brake and you are done. Clean the center of the hub when the wheel is off to make sure it seats when you reinstall it .

m1964 06-11-2006 07:11 PM

Thanks- I did the job a while ago, but I am sure your instructons will help someone else too.

What do you mean saying

compress the pads with the same screw driver
- I usually pull the old pads out, then compress cylinder back into the caliper.

tech 06-11-2006 10:12 PM

Alot of the time it is easy to compress most of the way before you remove the caliper by using a screw driver.

m1964 06-13-2006 12:19 AM

Alot of the time it is easy to compress most of the way before you remove the caliper by using a screw driver.
Could I damage the rotor by doing that?

tech 06-13-2006 07:22 PM

Depends on how much pressure and where you press against.

If you do it easy the worse that will happen is a little scratch that will come out the first time you hit the brakes to slow down.