Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xc90 Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xc90 Windshield

I have a 2016 XC90. In past year, I have had two windshields crack and require replacement. Is there any known issues with the new model's windshield? Is there a design flaw?

Old 01-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Default ​​​​​​​Windshield crack and chips

Originally Posted by Gbailly
I have a 2016 XC90. In past year, I have had two windshields crack and require replacement. Is there any known issues with the new model's windshield? Is there a design flaw?
I have had three in less than a year. I never heard two of them happen and the third I heard something (small rock) hit windshield but just barely.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 PM
Angry Windshield seems super fragile

I had a stone chip couple of months ago at highway speed and it cracked the windshield right away. I had similar chips before in other cars and none of them cracked like this. Ok, it could be the angle or the location where the winshield was hit so I blame this one on bad luck. However just last week I heard a small ding while drivig on freeway and yesterday a big crack developed across the windshield. There is no way a small chip can crack a windshield like this. I'm convinced the XC90 windshield is super fragile. Would be interested to see if anyone else has issue with their XC90 windshields.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 AM

I have a 2018, and I have had two serious cracks in less than 6 months. Both occurred from hits at the edge of the windshield where there doesn't appear to be a rubber border. It looks good, but seems like a bad idea.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Default What an independent glass shop say

Originally Posted by Susan D
I have a 2018, and I have had two serious cracks in less than 6 months. Both occurred from hits at the edge of the windshield where there doesn't appear to be a rubber border. It looks good, but seems like a bad idea.
if
The independent glass shop I went to said 1) all modern car wind shield are like that. It's not specific to Volvo. Not sure if he meant windshields nowadays are thinner for weight saving purpose, 2) it was my bad luck to have a newly replaced windshield cracked in less than a month after replacement.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:44 AM

I’ve got 20k miles on my 2020 xc90 and have cracked the windshield twice (both replaced by Volvo dealer $2100) and now I have a small chip no spider cracks. I’m questioning the windshield material or design.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:52 PM

My XC90 windshield cracked at the base of the passenger side window. Admittedly we were in Canyonlands National Park and the temp was 117. Problem is it cracked again within 6 months of being replaced at the exact place. This time it was like 40 degrees outside. I feel like it has to be a structural issue where too much stress is put on the windshield that is causing it to crack at the exact same place starting at the edge.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:23 PM

We too have had two windshields with cracks within a year.
We have an XC90 2021 Volvo. We bought it in April 2021. The windshield cracked March 2021. It was not covered by the warranty but I could find no scratches or chips in the windshield. The dealer refused to accept any responsibility. My auto insurance paid for the replacement. As we were sitting at a traffic light last month (February 2023) we watched as another crack spread across the windshield. There is no history of anything hitting the windshield except for a tumble weed while driving through Kansas.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by stymied1
My XC90 windshield cracked at the base of the passenger side window. Admittedly we were in Canyonlands National Park and the temp was 117. Problem is it cracked again within 6 months of being replaced at the exact place. This time it was like 40 degrees outside. I feel like it has to be a structural issue where too much stress is put on the windshield that is causing it to crack at the exact same place starting at the edge.
We have an XC90 2021 Volvo. We bought it in April 2021. The windshield cracked March 2021. It was not covered by the warranty but I could find no scratches or chips in the windshield. The dealer refused to accept any responsibility. My auto insurance paid for the replacement. As we were sitting at a traffic light last month (February 2023) we watched as another crack spread across the windshield. There is no history of anything hitting the windshield except for a tumble weed while driving through Kansas. Both cracks originated at the control center at the top of the windshield and spread down at a slight angle to the left.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kerry O'Leary
I have had three in less than a year. I never heard two of them happen and the third I heard something (small rock) hit windshield but just barely.
We have an XC90 2021 Volvo. We bought it in April 2021. The windshield cracked March 2021. It was not covered by the warranty but I could find no scratches or chips in the windshield. The dealer refused to accept any responsibility. My auto insurance paid for the replacement. As we were sitting at a traffic light last month (February 2023) we watched as another crack spread across the windshield. There is no history of anything hitting the windshield except for a tumble weed while driving through Kansas. Both cracks originated at the control center at the top of the windshield and spread down at a slight angle to the left.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by VantageV8
I had a stone chip couple of months ago at highway speed and it cracked the windshield right away. I had similar chips before in other cars and none of them cracked like this. Ok, it could be the angle or the location where the winshield was hit so I blame this one on bad luck. However just last week I heard a small ding while drivig on freeway and yesterday a big crack developed across the windshield. There is no way a small chip can crack a windshield like this. I'm convinced the XC90 windshield is super fragile. Would be interested to see if anyone else has issue with their XC90 windshields.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jcordogan
I’ve got 20k miles on my 2020 xc90 and have cracked the windshield twice (both replaced by Volvo dealer $2100) and now I have a small chip no spider cracks. I’m questioning the windshield material or design.