Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

i want to get window tints for my '93 850 but....

Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i want to get window tints for my '93 850 but....

i have no idea on how to get them, what the price range is, ect. Does anyone have some advice for me as to where to start out with my project. Thanks in advance

Old 12-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: i want to get window tints for my '93 850 but....

1. What is your price range?

2. Do you know if cops in your area are strict about window tint?

3. How dark do you want to go?

For starters I am running 35% front and 15% rear tint on my 1999 s70 awd. I personally have had no problems with the cops for my tint.

Now onto your issue. I suggest that you don't do this yourself. Most store bought window tint sucks and will bubble and turn purple after awhile. I suggest you look around town and look for a local tint shop. I am sure there is one aroudn your area somewhere.

I paid $186 abouts for my window tint and it is wonderful. No bubbles and it isn't fading either. However I will tell you to expect to pay anywhere from $100-$400 for window tinting. Why such a big range, depends on what type of tint you get, hoe dark of tint you get, and who is installing the tint.

Now here are some pictures of my car...

Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 AM

i like the tints on your windows, those are nice and look to be that right shade that i want. Also those match your car very well by the way. I'm probably going to need a lighter shade because the police in my neck of the woods seem to be very **** whenever it comes to things like this. Also since you said that a pretty decent tint will cost me a couple hundred, ill just wait it out for maybe a couple of months and start saving all over again due to the fact that i am already trying to save 300-400 for an amp and subwoofers. So in the future i will take your advice and find a tint shop instead of the do it yourself kits. I personally dont really like the way that those home tint kits come out on windows, they look fake and cheesy.

Thank you for the helpful advice and sooner or later if i do get the tints in the near future, ill post some pics of my tints up as well.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetsfever4ever

i like the tints on your windows, those are nice and look to be that right shade that i want. Also those match your car very well by the way. I'm probably going to need a lighter shade because the police in my neck of the woods seem to be very **** whenever it comes to things like this. Also since you said that a pretty decent tint will cost me a couple hundred, ill just wait it out for maybe a couple of months and start saving all over again due to the fact that i am already trying to save 300-400 for an amp and subwoofers. So in the future i will take your advice and find a tint shop instead of the do it yourself kits. I personally dont really like the way that those home tint kits come out on windows, they look fake and cheesy.

Thank you for the helpful advice and sooner or later if i do get the tints in the near future, ill post some pics of my tints up as well.
No problem. I would suggest getting 35% all the way around. That is what my front windows are.

Remember that the lower the % tint the darker it gets. 5% tint is really really really dark.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:49 PM

I have 5% on all windows and a strip on the windshield! It cost about $225 to have it done and not every tint shop will do it for you!
Had it about 2-3 months and no problems with the cops so far (knock on wood) : )
Just wanted to give you an Idea of what 5% looked like!

Later
Cotton

Name:  volvo2.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  51.5 KB

Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 PM

now those are some DARK tints haha. thanks for giving me an idea of what 5% looks like

Old 06-28-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Catchincotton
I have 5% on all windows and a strip on the windshield! It cost about $225 to have it done and not every tint shop will do it for you!
Had it about 2-3 months and no problems with the cops so far (knock on wood) : )
Just wanted to give you an Idea of what 5% looked like!

Later
Cotton

This web page lists the laws by state for window tinting.
I know people who violate the laws and I just decided I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on Volvos not the state police retirement fund.

Automotive Window Film State Law Charts - International Window Film Association | IWFA.com

Old 08-21-2016, 05:53 PM

Go to google, type in your zip code and the word "tint". You'll find shops that do your tint locally. You want to ask what the warranty is, what brand of tint they use, then you ask for pricing. You want to a few year warranty and 3m brand of tint.