Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Tires and other Exterior (https://volvoforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-other-exterior-27/)
-   -   XC60 20" Winter Tire Question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-other-exterior-27/xc60-20-winter-tire-question-82466/)

APx 02-10-2015 03:02 AM

XC60 20" Winter Tire Question

Hi all,

I have a question (might be a silly one though) about tires on my new XC60, that I was hoping for some help on.

I just purchased a new XC60 (D5 AWD) 2014 model from our local Volvo dealership here in Zurich (who by the way can't seem to answer this questions).

The car came with 20" Volvo rims and summer tires (Pirelli Scorpion Zero). As we've had some terrible weather here recently (snow and low temps), we've not risked taking the XC60 out on those tires yet.

I've spent some time looking at what new winter tires to fit and finally decided to go with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreame S XL's.

As I'm ordering them online (as local prices are ridiculous) to be delivered to a local garage, The question I have is: Does the size of the sidewall matter?

Currently the car has: 255/45 R20. The one's I've seen are 255/50 R20 (but also available in 255/45 R20)

If I buy the 255/50 R20's: a) will they fit?, b) would you recommend that size?, and c) what are the problems I might face? or am I better off sticking to the 45's?

Please let me know if you need more details, I've tried to cover as much as I can think of above.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated in advance.

PS: The new winter tires will be mounted on the current rims for now, but I will be buying separate rims for them in the summer.

spoker 05-24-2015 09:05 PM

Recently I bought a set of nitto tires Motivo. The size is the same as you mentioned; 255/50 R20. Compared with 255/45 R20, I find it more comfortable and a bit taller.

Volvobabe227 01-10-2017 10:41 AM

my Pirelli tires are awefull in CT/MA.
i got 35k out of them, but buying tires tomorrow.
think im going to get continental DWS Extreme06
255/45r20

APx 01-11-2017 04:11 AM

I have the 45's and they've worked perfectly well over the past two years on 20" rims. The 50's will fit!

Originally Posted by APx (Post 405760)
Hi all,

I have a question (might be a silly one though) about tires on my new XC60, that I was hoping for some help on.

I just purchased a new XC60 (D5 AWD) 2014 model from our local Volvo dealership here in Zurich (who by the way can't seem to answer this questions).

The car came with 20" Volvo rims and summer tires (Pirelli Scorpion Zero). As we've had some terrible weather here recently (snow and low temps), we've not risked taking the XC60 out on those tires yet.

I've spent some time looking at what new winter tires to fit and finally decided to go with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreame S XL's.

As I'm ordering them online (as local prices are ridiculous) to be delivered to a local garage, The question I have is: Does the size of the sidewall matter?

Currently the car has: 255/45 R20. The one's I've seen are 255/50 R20 (but also available in 255/45 R20)

If I buy the 255/50 R20's: a) will they fit?, b) would you recommend that size?, and c) what are the problems I might face? or am I better off sticking to the 45's?

Please let me know if you need more details, I've tried to cover as much as I can think of above.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated in advance.

PS: The new winter tires will be mounted on the current rims for now, but I will be buying separate rims for them in the summer.