General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Diesel and Rubbing Alcohol in my 740 :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel and Rubbing Alcohol in my 740 :(

Hello All!

I had a sad thing happen to my 1991 Volvo 740 wagon. A person was trying to fix it while I was away, and thinking that it was a diesel engine, put diesel fuel in the engine. Then realizing his mistake, put isopropyl in the engine because he said it would flush out the system. Kind of frightening in my opinion, but he insists it is fine. Anyone have any insight that they would like to share? My plan is to take it to the mechanic and have the engine flushed, but wanted some advice first. Thank you very much.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

It is very difficult to get a gasoline engine started on diesel fuel, but it's not particularly harmful if you do so. I am a little disturbed that you wrote "put diesel fuel in the engine". I would have thought they put it in the fuel tank.

Assuming it's in the fuel tank, if you get the fuel system flushed out with gasoline, and replace with a full tank of gasoline, and then if you get it started, it would not worry me.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
It is very difficult to get a gasoline engine started on diesel fuel, but it's not particularly harmful if you do so. I am a little disturbed that you wrote "put diesel fuel in the engine". I would have thought they put it in the fuel tank.

Assuming it's in the fuel tank, if you get the fuel system flushed out with gasoline, and replace with a full tank of gasoline, and then if you get it started, it would not worry me.

Hah, Lol. Yes, the fuel tank...not the engine. I am not the smartest car person out there. So, it may end up being fine? That is a relief to hear. Thank you

Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on likely no damage done. Get the fuel out of the tank, fuel pump, etc. Replace the fuel filter and flush out the fuel lines then you should be good to go.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Molly Sheehan
Hello All!

I had a sad thing happen to my 1991 Volvo 740 wagon. A person was trying to fix it while I was away, and thinking that it was a diesel engine, put diesel fuel in the engine. Then realizing his mistake, put isopropyl in the engine because he said it would flush out the system. Kind of frightening in my opinion, but he insists it is fine. Anyone have any insight that they would like to share? My plan is to take it to the mechanic and have the engine flushed, but wanted some advice first. Thank you very much.

I hope you made them pay the cost of any work done to your car to " fix the fix."

Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There really isn't any need to flush anything. Diesel is fuel it just doesn't burn well in an engine not designed for it.

Siphon out all you can, add as much gas as the tank will hold and drive it. The gas will easily "flush" out all the diesel. Don't really need to change the filter either.
Might give it a shot of starting fluid at first to get the diesel pushed out of the injectors but that shouldn't take more then 5-15 seconds of cranking.

If you don't have a way to get rig of the mixed diesel you have you can always toss a .5 gallon in with each tank. Might get just a little smoke but it's not much different than adding marvel mystery oil or some other "upper engine lubricant" additive to your fuel.

The rubbing alcohol is just like gas line deicer used in North America. As long as it isn't a large amount (gallons) it will absorb moisture and burn very cleanly. No harm, no foul.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-05-2016 at 10:46 AM.