General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo vs Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo vs Toyota

I've been looking at the new C30 and the entry level Volvo wagon. I've also been looking at the Toyota Matrix. I know VERY little about Volvo, but I know Toyota makes excellent vehicles.I own a 2006 Corolla and it has not given me any problems. How do the two vehicle makes compare with one another? What makes Volvo a desirable choice?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Volvo vs Toyota

I think everyone would agree with you that toyota makes very, very good cars.

The C30 is a nice little car. It is pretty light weight and has good amount of power. It is suppose to handle very well, and there is already some companies making Aftermarket parts for the C30. I guess the C30 is Volvos way of getting their namesout inthe aftermarket world, and getting the youth into Volvo. The V50 is a nice car aswell. Both of the cars use a 5 cylinder motor, most of them have a turbo, and most of them are FWD. Both cars offer great safty features that compete with toyota, so you will be safe in either one you pick. Volvos are pretty good cars for the most part, and you might like the ride quailtyover the toyota, but it all depends on how you will be using the cars. The only bad thing I can think of, is if you dont work on your own car, the parts (aftermarket or OEM) will cost you.
Take them all out for a test drive and see what suits you best!

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 PM

TIP, thanks for the reply. You know Toyota and Nissan parts are also expensive. I also own a 2000 Nissan pickup. The good thing about my Toyota and Nissan is that I hardly ever have to work on them. I've had the Corolla for over 3 years and have not done anything except regular maintenance. If I purchase a new or almost new Volvo, I would hope that it wouldn't require much mechanical work for several years. What is your experience with Volvo and mechanical problems?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience is only limited by my age (umm..19), and there is a lotmore smarter people on this site.
I have a 91 740 turbo wagon (745T),with 256,000miles,and the only problem that I have ever had with her is a blown headgasket in our 11 years of ownership. I like the older volvos, for I feel they are made pretty well, and are very, very esay to work on. I antisapate that the next major problem I could have is my transmission, for I am modifing my car . My dad bought a 07 V70R in the middle of 07 (car now has ~25,000miles), and we have had zero problems with her also.
The biggest thing to consider is maintenance. If you do regular maintenance, and regular oil changes, Like you said you already do, then any of these cars should last you till something major happens (like an accident) or you need to sell it for some reason.

Search around the forum for other peoples opinions, and ask questions when they come to you.

Good luck mate, and hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

I think everyone would agree with you that toyota makes very, very good cars.

I actually disagree. I did a lot of research in the last 6 month or so since I had to buy two new/used vehicles. Toyota makes good cars but from what I read the quality is not as superior as it used to be. That being said, it is very difficult to find good data that shows unbiased information.

To the OP, I would expect any modern vehicle to run without (major) problems for the first three years. FWIW I have a 7 year old Ford Ranger. The only thing that was ever wrong with the car was an ignition coil.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM

Minimalist, I think Consumer Report is at least fairly good information when dealing with reliability and catagorical problems / issues. Can you please share some of the research you have performed in the last 6 months? Since I am in the market for a new or late model auto, I am open to all the information I can get. In almost every list I have seen, Toyota and Honda are at the top. Although, I know from experience the Corolla, Matrix, and Scionhave issues with road noise. My little Corolla is a great car, but ithas a very choppy ride and the seats are kinda small. I rode in an xB the other day and it had all kinds of squeaks. Even the little Lexus SUV has somewhat of a rough ride. I'm getting older (44) and I want a nice quiet ridein either a hatch or wagon. I drive like an old man, and I don't want a sporty suspension or hot engine. Although, the C30 is about a cool of a car as I've ever seen. The Audi A3 isextremely nice too. I'll just keep looking and test driving. Please share your thoughts.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota are no better built or more reliable than their direct competitors. They WANT you to believe it, but I just don't see it in teh cars I work on and have owned.
They're good cars, make no mistake, but they are not somehow mystical as their disciples would have you believe.
Buy teh car that fits your needs/price/desires first.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:15 AM

It really depends on what you want. If you're looking for luxury, go with Volvo. If you want a good, solid car that is slightly easier on your wallet, go with Toyota. My family has owned a '91 Camry (which I loved) and a '97 Avalon...I love my '98 S70 more than both. All of them have given my dad and I very few problems, so I wouldn't worry about maintenance for whichever car you buy.