Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Pontiac Grand Prix HUD (Heads Up Display) is broken...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Pontiac Grand Prix HUD (Heads Up Display) is broken...

One of my friends has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix that has a HUD (heads up display) that is out of wack. A spring on the driver side has pulled through it's plastic bracket and I'm trying to remove it so I can fix or rig it back up. She got in the car and thought it was out, then noticed that it was shining way up near the top of the windshield.

So, I get the thing to my house and I've been trying to figure out how to get the forward dash piece out for over an hour. Darn thing just won't come loose at either end. I went and picked up an AllDataDIY.com disk / software from AutoZone to see if I can access the manual information to get this part off. Really sucks.

I think Volvo's are a lot easier to work on than other cars. The guy at AutoZone told me that this disk will give me information on all these different cars but now that I have it home I see that you only get "Access for a single vehicle for one year". I guess there will be a way to purchase other subscriptions if I want to. They claim this ALLDATA is an AutoZone company.

If anyone has any tips for me, please post them. I'm going to stop for now, have diner, something to drink, watch some NBA, and fall to sleep. I'll get back on this around 4 am.

Chow!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Got up this morning and finished that Grand Prix. My friend is so excited to get that HUD fixed.

I also installed a iPod adapter in her factory stereo. It had a wiring harness that allows it to be controled by the stereo. They got it from Crutchfield or Amozon and it worked great. Super shound quality, a lot better than those FM transmitters and it can even be controled by the buttons on the steering wheel.

Here is the link to the instructions if you find someone that needs them: http://www.atthetipwebs.com/HUD.htm

Last edited by rspi; 05-07-2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem with our '04 Pontiac HUD

I think I have a similar problem with our HUD. You can see it still lights up by looking through the windshield. Figured I could just take the dash apart and see what's wrong. Attempted to start taking apart the dash when I got stopped due to my lack of knowledge (did not want to mess anything up). So I called the local Pontiac dealership and they indicated for me to buy an alldatadiy.com subscription. So I did. The pictures are very unclear and the instructions are broken up in to different threads. (sucks)

Do I need any special tools?
Do I need to take out the whole dash or just the driver side?
Any helpful hints?
Did you have to purchase a replacement parts or just use glue/tape etc?

Thank you

Last edited by nblomme; 06-29-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Default Opps

Sorry, did not see your link the first time I read your post.

THANK YOU!!! VERY GOOD POST

You da MAN!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I also installed a iPod adapter in her factory stereo. It had a wiring harness that allows it to be controled by the stereo. They got it from Crutchfield or Amozon and it worked great. Super shound quality, a lot better than those FM transmitters and it can even be controled by the buttons on the steering wheel.
I have an '04 GP with a HUD, too - I'm looking to add an iPod adapter. Do you know which one your friend bought?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ericmatz
I have an '04 GP with a HUD, too - I'm looking to add an iPod adapter. Do you know which one your friend bought?
This is what they got.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...ce.html?tp=120

USA SPEC GM Interface Model: PA11-GM

You can also find them on Amazon.com