Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Guide to installing Neo ProLink iPod interface with HU-650

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Guide to installing Neo ProLink iPod interface with HU-650

Installing a Neo ProLink PODVOLHUV2 iPod and iPhone adapter in a Volvo V70N with an original Volvo HU-650 stereo.

Since the included instructions were less than informative, I've decided to share a step-by-step guide to how I installed the adapter in my Volvo V70N Bi-fuel 2006. The iPhone holder is from Kensington.

I assume no responsibility if you get into trouble
, this post just describes how I installed my kit in my car. If you're not comfortable with basic electric installations you might want to pay to get it installed.

1. Double-check your manual so that your Volvo stereo doesn't require a security code if the power is lost. I did a search and found someone claiming that only models before 2001 or so required codes, and the manual didn't say anything about having to have a code, so I went ahead without worrying about it.
  2. Remove the minus/negative connector from the battery, and make sure it cannot get into contact with the battery again.

3. Remove the plus/positive connector from the battery, and make sure it cannot come into contact with either the battery or any other part of the car.

4. Move the gear selector lever to its backmost position and then insert a flat screwdriver under the rear of the gear selector lever frame and gently lift the rear of the panel straight up.

5. Remove the frame by pressing the four blue catches.

6. Remove the climate and radio panel by unscrewing the two torx screws at the bottom and pulling the bottom of the panel backwards and then downwards.

7. Remove the frame by unscrewing the top three torx screws and then unlatching the three catches on either side.

8. Locate the brown (negative/ground) and red (positive) cables going into the center connector. On my car (you may want to double-check this on your own car) these carry 12V even when the key is removed from the ignition.

9. Cut the red Volvo cable and attach the yellow lead from the Neo ProLink adapter to it. Do the same with the brown Volvo cable and the black lead from the adapter. Make sure these connections cannot be loosened by vibrations and isolate them carefully. I used standard car terminal connectors and lots of self-vulcanizing tape.

10. Reattach the Volvo connectors and plug the Neo ProLink adapter's DIN connector into the radio.

11. I chose to drill a hole in the top of compartment to the left of the radio, big enough to fit the iPod connector through. Since I drilled this in the top of the compartment, it didn't matter that the hole looked like someone used an axe. :-/

12. Plug in all the adapter cables and then check all connections again. When you're confident that everything is correct; reattach the battery leads and test that everything works with the radio and the iPod / iPhone.
  13. If everything works; pull the cables down from the radio hole into the gear lever compartment, and find a good spot to safely attach the adapter. I chose to fasten it with self-adhesive Velcro straps to the left of the lever.

14. If you plan to use an AUX audio cable to connect other devices to the car stereo, drill a hole in the wall going into the compartment between the front seats. Don't drill the hole too far up since there's another plastic wall behind it, which will make it difficult to pull the cable into the compartment.

15. Reattach all the panels and frames in the opposite order from when you detached them. The big radio/climate panel should be inserted with the top first.

Some notes on the Neo ProLink adapter and an iPhone 3G with 3.0 software:
  • The iPhone protests every time you attach it and says that the attached accessory doesn't work with the iPhone. Annoying, but just click "No" so that it doesn't enable Airplane Mode.
  • The GSM interference when calling transfers to the radio and the speakers. This improves if the phone is placed further from the radio unit, and mainly occurs when the reception is bad.
  • You use the "CD Changer" mode on the HU-650 to access the iPhone. CD button #1-4 is used for playlists (the iPhone screen is locked,) button #5 gives you access to the iPhone screen interface and button #6 switches to the AUX input. Sometimes the radio switches to the #4 mode when the radio is turned off.
  • Contrary to what I read about the adapter, it DOESN'T transfer any text data to the radio, only the track number! The steering wheel buttons do work, though.
  • The adapter introduces some low noise or interference into the audio. This can easily be heard when the engine is turned off and the audio levels are low, for example when listening to audio books. As soon as the engine is turned on, I can't really claim that I can detect the interference anymore.

Last edited by humlan; 07-26-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added the brand of the iPhone holder
Old 10-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Hey there. Great job with the step by step, doesn't look too complicated to me, since I have plenty of electronic installation experience (plus the fact that I'm an electrical engineer lol).

Anyways, I don't want to use an FM transmitter so I'm looking around for ways to use my IPOD in my 2001 S60 T5 I just bought. This Neo Prolink Ipod interface claims "digital CD quality" but you mentioned interference and no text display, just track #.. I'm hesitant to spend the $200 on this.. I'm wondering if there's a way to easily install JUST an audio cable - I don't mind using the IPOD for control, or that it won't charge the IPOD.. I just want a good clear digital input!

Would you or anybody know if that is possible?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the guide, i'm going to be buying one this week.

i have a 2003 s40 and have had to enter my security code before. just a heads up. will post back if i had to for this install.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM

I'll be installing this hopefully Saturday: Neo ProLink - PODVOLHUV2

It's install is a bit different from the OP's. (HU-613 2001 V-70 stock) I only have to splice into one ground wire and access by removing the penholder plate.

The unknowns: a possible security code reset of the radio if the battery is disconnected. Other than that, I not too keen on hackin' into the car, but...I have a decent pictorial found here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/563954092PqvyNa

If any one else is interested.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Default Neo-pro-link update:

NEO-PRO-LINK PODVOLHUV2 UPDATE:

After a bit of hacking away at the internals of our 2001 V-70, my Wife and I finally got this unit to work! I believe it was a connectivity issue more than anything else.
NOTE! This is for our unit only, a HU-613 that's in our 2001 V-70: We accessed power through the RED wire in the back of the stereo unit. I used Radio Shack connectors but I scraped away the housing on BOTH the RED & YELLOW (of the NEO) wires to establish connectivity. We did some trial & error and finally, borrowed a neighbor's volt-meter to detect the power source. For OUR car & radio unit: it was the RED wire.
Please note: we had this radio unit replaced by the dealership through a warranty issue early in 2002. If any of the HU units have changed since then, or before, I have no knowledge about that.