NO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Headlights

Hello Every,

How you've been Pierce.

I have a 740 Volvo and my headlight problems started after I had to
Jimmy weld a chain to the hood. I had to start to lock it to the bottom of the frame after some slithers of crap broke into my car and wiped me clean of everything in the car, my trunk and battery. ( all my tools, jack even my tire)

1st the left light went out and only the passenger light worked. I clicked the brights on. Notice I said click the brights on and they both came on.

After a while I could no longer get both heads lights to come on by clicking and leaving the brights on. I had to press the lever just before it engaged the brights only to hold it into position would both lights come on. If I clicked it into position, the passenger high beam would go out. So the diver side comes on when high is on but passenger goes out. Driver goes out when high is off and passenger comes on.

So, I have to hold the lever up to the engagement but not click it into position will i get both lights to come on.

I looked to see if I may have disconnected a wire but could not see anything. I checked the fuses that are under the ashtray and all are good. I do know there are relays but how will I know if there bad so I dont have to spend $60 or so for each if I dont need to.

I'm not sure where all the relays are. I'm guessing there are 3 behind the steering column just below the speedometer . Somewhere?

Anyway guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

most all the relays on a 740 are behind the ashtray, forward of the fuses. the highbeam/lowbeam step relay, however, is out in the front of the car near one of the headlights, i believe.

when you welded this, that was arc welding, or gas ? and did you disconnect the battery before welding? ALWAYS disconnect the vehicle battery before doing any arc welding on the chassis, if you don't want to fry random electrics.