No start after PCV system replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start after PCV system replacement

Hello everyone, I believe this is my first post on the volvo forums. I can't thank people enough in the threads about the neutral safey switch by the shifter...saved me from having the shop rip it apart and replace it for $300!

Now to the issue at hand:

1990 740 GLE, with the pcv system involving an oil trap, flame guard and the like. The system was clogged according to my shop and needed to be cleaned out/replaced. I ordered a kit from the volvo dealer and did it myself. During the process I removed the fuel intake and sort of "suspended" it up a little so I could get at the oil trap and other components. After putting it all back together the car will turn over but won't start. I used "power starter fluid" in the air intake and got a few firings so I believe I can narrow it down to the fuel system.

Before took apart the manifold I unplugged the external fuel pump and removed the fuse for the one in the fuel tank. I've returned both and I'm not getting fuel still. At least thats appears to be the problem.

It occurred to me that I might have unplugged something along the fuel rail or around the oil trap...but I will recheck those connections while awaiting your ideas. I suspect something electrical or related to the injectors.

Is there a simple way to check fuel pressure? Do I need a special tool for that? This car has been a pain for a while...but I'm more of a do-it-yourself-er than a mechanic so any input would be helpful.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Unhappy Bump... Need some help please!

I still haven't figured this thing out. Can anyone suggest how to test the fuel pump relay? I figure it's probably very proprietary to volvo so if I don't need a new one I'd rather not buy one. I checked all the injector connections and surrounding fuel line connections...nothing out of the ordinary so far.

What could have caused the fuel pump to not give any fuel? I have been assuming electrical but is there something else besides the obvious? Is there some kind of safety circuit that keeps the injectors from giving gas if there's a disconnected sensor somewhere?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 AM

Check the fuel injection GROUNDS, and associated wiring-you must have hooked something wrong...