Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Shuts down during right had turns???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shuts down during right had turns???

Okay it all started a couple of weeks ago when my wife came home from work and everything was fine. Then in the morning it won't start. I narrowed it down to a bad fuel pump as you might remember from that post. I replaced the pump and it started right up. I took it for a spin and it was great it had gained back some lost power, (it had been sluggish) I was back to getting normal mpg. Then I take a right turn with out stepping on the brakes or gas just kind of coast around. It instantly dies at the top of the turn and will not start back up. It is now getting a ton of fuel and plus a can hear the pump going when I turn the key on so it’s a new problem. I call a buddy we tow it home. Then I try to start it and it fires right up. So I take it for a spin around the neighborhood and I floor it around all kinds of corners brake around corners and everything is great. I try to coast around a few left turns and it has no problems. I take it close to my house and coast around a right corner and it dies right away. I'm thinking this is dumb why it would die only on right turns when coasting. Then if I let it sit for a while it will start again. I try the right turn thing 4 more time to see if it was just a coincidence. Nope it does it with out fail every time. So I just replace the fuel filter and it still does it.

It does bring up one code. PO120 Throttle/petal position sensor/switch a circuit malfunction. So I'm thinking that is it. But what is that? Is that the same as the throttle position sensor I replace on my Mitsubishi?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Arnold

Old 10-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Shuts down during right had turns???

Yes That code is for the throttle position sensor located on the throttle body.
That could cause the problem.

The only other thing I can think could cause the stalling would be the baffles in the tank broke and hitting the pump and blocking the fuel flow on a right turn.

Is it possible to get a hold of a fuel guage that you can connect and leave on there and get it to act up?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM

How common is it for those baffles to break because I have encountered a similar issue, but I am not pulling any codes. I was pulling a 315 EVAP code and replaced the purge valve but that didn't change anything. The car is still dying in the same manner as Volvorator's and at other random times after short drives. I am not pulling any relay codes.

Wes
1994 850 Turbo Wagon

Old 06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Not very common.
Try like I said above with a fuel guage.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dies on right hand turns

I'm having the same issue. I pulled a right turn out into traffic and the car just died. I put it in neutral and while still coasting managed to get it started after a couple tries. Didn't happen again that trip and set no codes.
Today it died in the middle of an on ramp and wouldn't restart. I had given up and called for a ride when it finally fired up. I managed to limp it to work but it was acting up. It did set the code for a throttle position sensor and I ordered one in. Will most likely install it Sunday or Monday. It just doesn't make sense to me why it's happened on right hand turns but it's nice to see I have "company".
Will let you know how the new sensor works out.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me as if you have a short in wiring somewhere that is only happening when the wires are pressed out from centrifugal force.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
I'm having the same issue. I pulled a right turn out into traffic and the car just died. I put it in neutral and while still coasting managed to get it started after a couple tries. Didn't happen again that trip and set no codes.
Today it died in the middle of an on ramp and wouldn't restart. I had given up and called for a ride when it finally fired up. I managed to limp it to work but it was acting up. It did set the code for a throttle position sensor and I ordered one in. Will most likely install it Sunday or Monday. It just doesn't make sense to me why it's happened on right hand turns but it's nice to see I have "company".
Will let you know how the new sensor works out.
Check your fuel injection relay. I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting the TPS all the way back to the ECU because I was getting the code and my car was stalling after I put silicone hoses on it. I changed out the TPS did a resistance sweep test at the ecu terminals and it looked perfect. Long story short it was the fuel injection relay, the gray one on the drivers side of the fan shroud. Why the ecu throws a TPS code for this I have no idea?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Kills on right hand turns

It still doesn't make any sense that it dies on right hand turns and not straight or left but I did replace the TPS and it's fixed the problem. I repalced mine with an O'Reilly Part Number: EC3040 that I got for 74.00. Fixed the problem and no engine codes ........

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-30-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Price and availability
Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to hear that you got her fixed!