Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2000 S-40 1.9T Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S-40 1.9T Engine Issues

OK story behind my car. I've had it since 02. It has 130,000 miles on it. Only problem I have ever had was CV joint and that stupid not much brake when cold issue in my model S-40. Until 3 years ago oil and plugs were changed regularly.

Now explain problems:
I moved to the Philippines for 3 years for work. Changed oil, plugs and put new pads on front right before I left. Mom drove my car for the 3 years and only thing she did was buy a battery. In 3 years she only put 9,000 miles on. She is 74 and drives very cautious. I got home in May changed the oil and plugs because she never changed. Car drove good for 3 months. In the past few months I have noticed even worse than normal gas mileage. Started noticing a like whining noise on acceleration a week ago. Went and bought a OB II scan tool. Got these errors in order:

P0101
P0420
P0455
P0102
P0234
P0172

Plus when I got home my ABS light and airbag light are on and I cant find away to reset them or find any codes on why. I did drive it about a month before leaving plus I have always did my own brakes in this car and every car I have ever owned so I know its not my installation.

I know from reading threads and my own personal experience that the P0420 happens a lot. I am used to just resetting it at before emission testing and in a few months it just comes back on.

I am afraid my turbo is dying. Can anyone help me with what I should do first?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Your gas mileage being worse and the P0172 "System bank 1 too rich" go together. First thing I would do is check if that noise you hear is a vacuum leak from a hose. The P0455 could be an indication you have a hose busted somewhere.

The (P0101 and P0102) are for the Mass Airflow Sensor. I'd get some MAF spray and clean it, off the car. While it's off check your hoses thoroughly for cracks and leaks. The system is designed so that all air passing the MAF must go through the engine. Check the hose from the intercooler back to the throttle body. That hose gets old and cracks easily as the engine rocks back and forth while this hose is rigidly attached.

Unless the car starts belching blue smoke I would not suspect the turbo. The overboost code may be the Boost Control Solenoid (aka Turbo Control Valve on later models). You would need to get a boost gauge to check if it's actually over boosting. I would not replace it yet. You need to get the other issues taken care of first.

You can reset the SRS and ABS codes with a DiCE tool and VIDA software. If they come back then you have to track down the issue.

It's an old car and getting older. It just needs some TLC ($$$).

Old 12-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houdini you posted this in another thread I read today

"Ok, there is a large hose near the throttle body that sometimes breaks causing weird issues. It's about 3/4" diameter and tends to break completely in two.

It's the S shaped hose that comes from the throttle body and ties into the intercooler on the right side of the red square in the pic:"

Dude mine was almost in two next to engine block. That got rid of the noise I was hearing and it's acting ok. My question is could this be my full consumption issue also?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It could, yes. On a MAF based engine all intake air must be accounted for (as opposed to a MAP based system). If air escapes the intake system through a busted hose then too much fuel will be programmed. I'd replace the hose, reset the trouble codes, then try it again to see how it acts.