Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 AM

Default Burning Rubber Smell

When I drive my car for a certain distance, and turn on the vent or the A/C, there is a burning rubber smell coming from the engine. Then when I stop and get out of the car, the smell is still there for a couple of minutes.

i thought maybe one of my belts is rubbing, or one of the hoses is burning... any clue?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Default S40 - same problem?

Hi!
I cant point to a solution, but I noticed exactly the same in my S40. Can't really distinguish if it is burning rubber or burning oil, though...

I thought it came from the seat heating - but I have never been able to point out exactly from where that stinging smell came.

I'd love to hear if others have the same problem as we do. And a solution to it...
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 PM

I'd love to hear if others have the same problem as we do. And a solution to it...
Old 01-05-2010, 05:01 PM

I took my car to a dealership, check ur oil return line from the turbo if u have one. Mine is an 02.

The oil is leaking onto ur exhaust and burning up making it stinky.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:05 AM

Oftentimes, one of two common causes are responsible for your brakes overheating; an emergency brake left engaged while driving, and the "breaking-in" of new front pads.

If you haven't had front brakes recently installed, check that you have disengaged your emergency brake. Driving a short distance with the e-brake applied can cause the rear shoes to overheat and to give off a strong odor. If this is the case, simply disengage the brakes and proceed to drive normally. (However, if you have gone quite some distance with the e-brake engaged, you should have the rear brake lining checked.)

Alternatively, if you have just had new brake pads placed on your vehicle, it would not be unusual for you to notice the same burnt rubber smell for a brief period as the brakes "break-in." If the smell persists however, (more than an hour or two), your front brake calipers may be stuck on. This usually occurs when the pistons in the front calipers rust or wear out and begin to seize. Always ask your mechanic to check the calipers and other braking hardware (or do so yourself) when changing your brake pads.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 AM

I think strange smells have been reported before. No, not me, I bathe regularly! Anyway, I'm too lazy to do a search right now, but my car (with 17,000 miles) still has that rubber smell, and I can't figure it out either.

It seems rain or inclement weather brings it out more with my car.
==================================
vending
kinderbett
Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Yeah i experience something similar; we might be on the same page. It's like a burning smell - hmm i have no idea why but it happens.
=======================
nutrition counseling pregnancy
Geschenke Empfehlungen
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM

Default Odd Smell, Too

I'm not sure if I have the same problem, but every time I turn off the A/C but leave the Vent on, I get an odd smell from the vents. It only occurs *after* I shut off the A/C and keep the Vent on.

It kinda smells like burnt rubber but I suspect it's more related to the freon or something similar?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 AM

I have noticed that it increases in the rain too.
Having just finished a hard day at the SCCA event, and not noticing any greater smell, I have to think this is exhaust related
=====================================
roof paint
wrought iron buffalo
Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 AM

smelling something 'foul' that is not really there is a type of hallucination... you may have a psychotic disorder. this doesnt make you crazy; just a part of your brain doesnt work properly.

hallucinations mean people see, hear, smell and taste things that arent really there
=================================
Making Decisions
best online business
Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 AM

Tags
2000, 850, brake, brand, burning, car, changed, oil, pads, rubber, s70, smell, start, volvo, xc90