Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Can anyone recommend a good fault code reader?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend a good fault code reader?

Hi all,

New to this forum. As I am about to aquire a 2005 S40 (2.4i), I am interested in getting a fault code reader. Is there a code reader that will read specific Volvo codes, or are the so called "Volvo" code readers all just generic devices?

I am comming from a 2000 BMW 320i (Euro version), for which I have a BMW specific reader made by Peake, which has very detailed and specific BMW code descriptions. Does such a device exist for Volvo? A simple generic reader does not do it for me except as a last resort.

Any informed comment welcome. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Actron reader read all the codes. The Volvo Vadis software might suit your needs as I think it is much more speicific in what it covers. It is not a reader however.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks for that jks2. The Actron or similar will probably do it. The Vadis software would be pricey I guess, but I'll be looking into that option too.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Default Best code readers

Acetron mid level is more than adequate for the garage user and so is the craftsman from sears. Both give you detailed I/M status and freeze frames to help you diagnosis the many code issues volvo's seem ti have. Bless be the code reader gods..lol

Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Actually you can download the Vadis files with Bit Torrent if you have a machine that runs windows XP. I have it on a few systems that are portable. You can also get them on ebay. I got the Vadis pre 2006 all models and the detailed wiring diagrams. I paid $1.99

Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 AM

what is the protocol that Volvo uses? Is it the same for all models? I have a 1998 S40?

thanks

Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Volvo uses OBD-II like everyone else. The issue, I believe, is the detail the code readers give you versus the dealers diagnostic tool. For most people the generic code reader works just fine. Usually you can figure out what it's telling you. Sometimes it's not so obvious and you look for answers from others who have had that code.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 AM

On OBDII vs manufacturer specific:

As I understand it OBDII codes are generic/mandatory fault codes as required by government(s) so that independent workshops are able to diagnose faults which are emissions systems related. (and maybe somewhat more than that).

By way of an example let me ask a question:
My BMW specific Peake fault code reader easily pinpointed a bad inlet camshaft position sensor. (car would start and idle OK, but engine would die when gas was applied).
This reader also pinpointed a bad thermostat heater element.

Will a generic OBDII reader do this for me? Will it allow me to reset fault codes and service indicators?
Maybe I should ask the question:
Will a generic OBDII reader read every singe fault code stored in the control unit(s), including specific Volvo codes, or only generic type codes?

OBDII probably uses a simple serial port protocol such as RS232 which any computer buff/electronics tech is familiar with, and the universal OBDII D physical connector. The secrets are in the actual codes which can be read and interpereted.

I'm getting a 2005 2.4i S40 tomorrow, and as a DIY'er, I'm just trying to increase my knowlege base, and avoid dependence on expensive dealers. Trying to get the big picture here. Thanks.

Last edited by Wally_E; 01-08-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Default OBD II and Volvo's

Originally Posted by Wally_E
On OBDII vs manufacturer specific:

As I understand it OBDII codes are generic/mandatory fault codes as required by government(s) so that independent workshops are able to diagnose faults which are emissions systems related. (and maybe somewhat more than that).

By way of an example let me ask a question:
My BMW specific Peake fault code reader easily pinpointed a bad inlet camshaft position sensor. (car would start and idle OK, but engine would die when gas was applied).
This reader also pinpointed a bad thermostat heater element.

Will a generic OBDII reader do this for me? Will it allow me to reset fault codes and service indicators?
Maybe I should ask the question:
Will a generic OBDII reader read every singe fault code stored in the control unit(s), including specific Volvo codes, or only generic type codes?

OBDII probably uses a simple serial port protocol such as RS232 which any computer buff/electronics tech is familiar with, and the universal OBDII D physical connector. The secrets are in the actual codes which can be read and interpereted.

I'm getting a 2005 2.4i S40 tomorrow, and as a DIY'er, I'm just trying to increase my knowlege base, and avoid dependence on expensive dealers. Trying to get the big picture here. Thanks.
Walley, yes and no, OBD II is the generic set of codes that can get you in the ball park, but can also leave you scratching your head after replacing the item the scanner suggested. Keep in mind, that just because you have a bad reading on, say, a cam shaft sensor, it doesn't necessarily mean the cam shaft sensor is actually bad. Volvo has a whole subset of numbers in the VADIS program that cross correlate to OBD II codes. I always head for the forums before I invest any money in a repair project. Just search your code OBD II number under your model header ( yours would be S40 05 thru ?). You'll usually strike oil in a few minutes and get yourself on the right path to repair and Yes you can erase codes, but Volvo's have to cycle through several hot/cold cycles before the IM's complete and shift into ready mode. In other words you can clear the code, head for inspection and still fail because the comprehensive components won't be ready. Hope that helps Bama...Happy Motoring

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM

I have yet to hear of anything available to the DIY Volvo mechanic other than a generic code reader. I have a cheap Actron scanner and it reads and erases codes just fine. But as you might guess, it's the generic OBD-II codes by number and description. If your t-stat goes bad you get a generic code that says something like coolant temp below thermostat temp. Is it the t-stat, coolant temp sensor, or something else? In my case it was the T-stat but others have had a bad sensor.

IMHO, the generic reader is better than nothing and way better than paying the dealer a ton of money. For those with no desire to purchase one your local Advance, Autozone, O'reilly's, etc, will read the codes for you. They will not erase them though. If you borrow the reader and pull your own codes you can erase them easy enough.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Hudini- unless something has changed they'll erase them as well. At least here in Jersey they do, everything else you said, however, I agree with. There is no denying that the OBD II code reader is way better than a trip to Volvo. I actually bought a Actron pocket scanner for my daughter to keep at school. Volvo's throw ghost codes all the time and it was easier for me to get a nights sleep knowing what her CEL was showing when she is 200 miles away. I think it was 50 bucks and doesn't come close to the 2 bigger readers I own, but the average Joe would be wise to buy one, especially the do it your selfer's. Happy motoring....Bama

Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Maybe it's a local thing with erasing the codes. Maybe it's just Advance Auto since they are the only ones the wife/daughters have gone to while I'm here 7500 miles away.

That's a good idea buying your daughter one. Makes me think I need to teach mine how to use it when I can't help.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 AM

It will definitely buy you some sanity and it's a piece of cake to use. it also allows them to erase the code under your watchful supervision. I know exactly how you feel....Bama

Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM

So let me try and summarise here.
A generic code reader will read all codes from the car, both OEM specific and generic, but they will all be in generic form.
If I want a more specific interpretation I will need to use the Vadis software to cross reference generic to Volvo specific?

Also is there a known "easter egg" to reset a service due indicator, or will a code reader have this capability?

Some good input here, thanks guys.

Last edited by Wally_E; 01-12-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 AM

The Service Engine light is reset manually. Push trip odometer reset button and hold, turn ignition key ON (all dashboard lights come on), wait for Service Engine light to start flashing, release trip odometer reset button (SE light goes out), turn key to OFF.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Code Reader Erase

Advance Auto will erase. "Against company policy" for Autozone. They can't push button to erase but you can! My exsperience in Virginia.