Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fluid (IS Synthetic!)

ORIGINAL: reg

Fred........please do not dis TECH. He IS a Volvo mechanic and has been for many years. His technical expertise is valuable and whereas we all disagree on certain issues...........he would not state something if it were not true. Now..........I do use the "correct" fluid in my Asin/Warner transmission.............and I do pay the dealer his $100.00 to flush the trans as I simply do not want to truck a case load of used fluid to the recycle depot. Red Line makes a synthetic auto trans fluid and they inform me that their product will not harm the Asin/Warner transmission.......................Red Line fluids are superior............I would certainly hope that you agree with that assesment and it supports TECHS use of synthetic fluid. Next thing we can argue is brake fluid, spark plugs.... but let's not. At any rate your input is valuable but let's be kind and not argue. Please note that TECH has posted over 10,000 times on this forum and gives his advice freely and on his own time. THAT'S INVALUABLE ADVICE.

REG
Reg,
thank you for your words. I don't like people giving improper advice which was made up. Tech made up the comment that he has written proof From Volvo and from Valvoline that Valvolines synthetic is okay for S60's. That's false and misleading and harmful. Also he discredits himself when he says that the trans are made by Ford and or GM. Again unknowledgable and wrong. It's Aisin Warner and it requires JWS 3309 compliant trans fluid. Period.
Synthetic is not all the same or made to the same spec.
Now I will agree that I have read that Redline (not Royal Purple) is okay to put in the Aisin Warner trans ever though it's not JWS 3309 approved. Why do that when the Mobil 3309 is completely available??? It's not going to be better, but that RL won't hurt.
Using RP, Valvoline, Mobi 1, Dextron, Mercon and +4 is harmful, and must be not used.
Personally I don't care if Tech has experience or not, he doesn't with Trans fluids, or transmissions, and if this is an indication of his knowledge base it's totally off.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:40 AM

Am also waiting for his "WRITTEN Proof" that Valvoline synthetic fluids are okay for AW trans and the Volvo S60, and that Volvo itself... ha... has approved this.

Also waiting to here about how he thinks Ford and GM transmissions are in the S60, whoo boy.
And that the trans doesn't have a drain plug (which it does) and it DOES have a filter (which it doesn't). Waiting to hear his comback with baited breath...

I fear about the rest of his expertiese. I haven't seen a reply yet, when he got totally busted.

The only advice and proper advice is to Use Mobil (not Mobil 1 ) 3309 which is the Volvo fluid and drain and fill (you said flush but you got a drain and fill)
The drain and fill you got probably used only 3.2 to 3.5 quarts. The Volvo dealer sells a gallon of the rip off trans fluid for about $75 dollars. They charged you $25 for the loosening of a drain plug and pouring the 3.5 quarts in and then kept the other half quart. If you got the Mobil 3309 fluid by the 12 quart case for $46.50 you could do three drain and fills. And then just take the quarts to the nearest quickie lube, who by law, have to accept it and dispose of it for free. And then you have a complete transfer of all (or at least 82% of the trans fluid). Obviously the Torque converter holds the other 6 quarts and by running it around the block you can mix it up and drain again.
A moderator shouldn't BS about things he is totally ignorant of and doesn't know squat about.
Very misleading and could be financially harmful to others.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:02 PM
reg

Hi Fred. Nope, the dealer "hooked" me up to a flusher and pumped about 12 to 14 qts of fluid. Circulated it through the trans. I've had it performed twice now. Since I have three autos from the same dealer, he isn't about to screw me when he knows I am going to be purchasing autos from him every two years. (No, I don't lease) At my age and status in life, I only work on my Hartge, Cushman, and Healey but in my younger years I totally rebuilt trans (manual), engines, drive lines, jeez, I even use to paint autos. What I am suggesting is that I would know when I am watching the tech flush the fluid that indeed, he is flushing and not simply draining. Incidentally, I will look into the Castrol oil as you suggested in another post. Sounds interesting and I was not aware that there was another product sold under the Castrol name. Lastly, BMW oil is bottled by Castrol............the M3 uses.........get this..... 0-60 weight oil!! Oil has come a long way. I recently purchased a new MX5 for my wife's summer auto and it uses.... 5-20! Tolerances and economy now dictate that the old 10w-40 is a thing of the past. Thanks for your input!

REG

Old 08-13-2006, 02:25 PM

You betcha he hooked you up. To get a complete flush is using about 12 quarts to get it all out including the torque converter. Volvo dealers ususally use the volvo fluid although I know of two that use the Mobil 3309. As long as they used either fluid for $100 you got a fantastic deal. If my dealers said they would do the flush for $100 I would be standing in line there on a Sunday waiting for Monday morning.

I am sure you know your stuff.
And I see Tech posting on other areas currently, not in the S60 forums is all. Still waiting for the written proof that Valvoline Synthetic fluids can be used on these cars. That simply never happenned.

I did the 3 drain and fill routine two months ago with 3309. Shifts great. I don't think I need to flush, and plan to do this every year especially if it only costs $50.

The oil product you are referring to is Castrol Syntec 0/30 (back of bottle says made in Germany), available believe it or not, only, from Autozone. Has a true cult following and is, in my opinion, perfect for turbo S 60's with the 2.5 L engine white block. Smooth as butter.

The following users liked this post:
Zombi (01-24-2023)
Old 08-13-2006, 04:08 PM
reg

Fred, to be exact, I looked at my receipt..........it was $122.26 for the last trans fluid change. A couple of years ago I went on an internet search and found the Mobil fluid and wrote that number in my owners manual in case I was caught somewhere and needed trans service. If the shop did not have access to the correct Volvo stuff, I would be able to direct them to the correct fluid. This all came about when a forum poster had her trans fluid changed at an instant oil 'place' and her trans was lunched. Of course hell would freeze over when I had an oil change facility ever change my oil......but............. I change my own on all the autos....that is one thing that I still do along with the brake fluid changes. Incidentally, I use ATE Super Blue and then rotate that with ATE Gold. That way I know when the old stuff is out and the new fluid is coming through. I used to use vacuum but now I use one of the pressure bleeders that are on the market............. You waste a bit of fluid but it is neater and faster! I am going to switch/try your Castrol oil after I use the 5 quart jug of "regular" Castrol that I have on the shelf. Thanks for the "tip".
REG

Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 PM

Reg, I am very curious. Did you confirm they used Volvo fluid or the Mobil 3309. 12 quarts of the stuff from Volvo would run you about $225 just for the fluid at $75 dollars a gallon.
It has to be Mobil 3309 at $46.50 a gallon.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 PM
reg

You know........I do not know. I have had the service done twice and simply watched the tech pour the jugs into the "machine". Somehow I would think that Volvo would scream if they knew their fluid was not being used. I do know that the coolant is Volvo... well at least it's coming out of a Volvo gallon jug.........
REG

ORIGINAL: FredMc

Reg, I am very curious. Did you confirm they used Volvo fluid or the Mobil 3309. 12 quarts of the stuff from Volvo would run you about $225 just for the fluid at $75 dollars a gallon.
It has to be Mobil 3309 at $46.50 a gallon.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The things I have learned from this post are!!!
1.Volvo Lies about the transmission fluid that is in the transmissions.
It is not synthetic fluid.

2. There is alot of Miss Information out there.

Attached is the letter from Vavoline I said I could get. You might have to Zoom it to read it good.

As stated in this post I was wrong (I admit it)
https://volvoforums.com/m_16106/tm.htm
The Gm transmission is in the S80 The 6 Cylinder engines. That has the trans. pan and filter.
The AW50/55 transmission have the Drain plug and no Filter.

As for the Ford Statement I never said they were in the cars. (Go back and read again) I said they would last longer if they were in there.

Also here is an E-mail I got from Vavoline about the Trans. Fluid and the trans.

Yes, Maxlife is 100% compatible.

To: VWEBMAIL@Ashland
cc:

Subject: Site feedback from Valvoline.com

The following person submitted a question or comment via the Contact us
form of type Ask Valvoline
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Johnson
Address1:
Address2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone:

Email Address:

Comments:

I actually have a quiestion.
I own a Volvo S60 I was wondering if the Valvoline High milage ATF is
compatible with the Transmission?
I have an Asian Warner 50/51 transmission.
There has been alot of disbute about the fluid not working with these
transmissions. Thats why I thought I would go right to the source.

So I wasn't making up that the fluid would work and it wouldn't. Clearly seen by both documents it will work.

The only thing I was wrong about was that it was synthetic!!

Name:  picture569.jpg
Views: 9740
Size:  38.0 KB

[IMG]local://upfiles/853/9BADDDA3B3D944A58AAA4AF3C75A5055.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/853/306837CADE19455A9929B4B70FB4C8B1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-15-2006, 10:40 PM

Tech I think you are an honest guy. I think you are reading into things too much and we have to deal only with facts.
having said that I have the following comments.

Volvo Has never said their fluid is synthetic (people assume the high rip off price insinuates it is synthetic and special) I have never seen anything written by Volvo saying their fluid is synthetic. And Volvo does NOT say that Valvoline can be used. All Volvo says is the JWS 3309 oil spec compatible oils can be used. Period

The Valvoline letter will be ignored by the writer. Valvoline only says that it's Maxlife trans fluid could be used for Volvo. They are essentially saying it should work. It does NOT meet JWS 3309 oil spec. It is NOT recommended by Volvo. Only Mobil 3309 is. And they say ONLY once the car is out of Warranty can you use the Valvoline fluid. It violates the warranty.Your right another poster (Volvo Tech CMC), said it was a Ford transmission. He obviously doesn't know S60's at all regarding transmissions. You said GM.

It is very clear That:

Valvoline Maxlife trans fluid is NOT approved by Volvo for S60 trans
Valvoline says it can be used once out of Warranty
Volvo Doesn't approve the use of Valvoline Maxlife as it doesn't meet JWS 3309
Only Mobil 3309 or the Volvo fluid (one in the same) is approved.
Volvo fluid is NOT synthetic, no where has this ever been stated by Volvo, nor does it say it on the bottles either.

S60 auto trans are made by Aisin Warner
S60 trans do have a drain plug and a fill dipstick
S60 trans do not have a serviceable filter

End of Misinformation on this subject

Old 08-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Administrator

I will work on Making a sticky for Future refrence.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Better yet I just Pinned this Post.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after reading this post all i get from it is a bunch of arguing Ill tell you i am a technician at a dealer and work on these cars for a living i know whats recommended. the volvo trans fluid is synthetic as well as is the p/s fluid and dif fluid. they are all synthetic the manual trans uses different fluid from the aw55-50. if the dipstick is underneath the intake box and piping and hard to get to the trans fluid is synthetic the s80 t6 uses a gm trans and type3 g dexron fluid which is regular non synthetic trans flush is recommend at every 45k i have access to all volvo info and technical support so feel free to ask me i help if if i can

benny

Old 08-20-2006, 10:53 AM

Benny,
Okay on your say so we submit, the fluid is synthetic.

Heresay and not correct at all. If you live in Clawson, then you work for Suburban Volvo. I can tell you that the part no. of the trans fluid was given to their service department by moi. They ALL said it's not synthetic, but shrugged their shoulders in explaining why it cost $18 a quart. Even the bottle from the Dealers doesn't say it's synthetic. Aisin Warner requires JWS 3309 oil spec fluid for that trans. And it's NOT a synthetic fluid.
What you say in no way shape or form trumps 3 forums who 99% say Mobil 3309 and Volvo trans fluid is one in the same. It's not special and it's not synthetic. No literature exists from Volvo or Mobil to say it's synthetic. None. It's an old wives tale to substantiate the inflated pricing from the Stealerships.

The forums is for education and learning. We have all learned it is Mobil 3309 and NOT synthetic.
Your comment "i have access to all volvo info and technical support" implies that you can find this information. Go ahead and find it then. Find me one shred of evidence that say the Volvo Fluid is synthetic and this has to come from Volvo. Or, rather, find me the source of the Volvo fluid and have them quote that's it's synthetic. You can't provide that. So how do you know so well that's it's synthetic? You absolutely do not know that. You only over heard it and repeated it like it was gospel...
NEW DEALER STOCK, VOLVO TRANSMISSION FLUID - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. A MINERAL OIL SUITABLE FOR AW55-50SN AND AW50-42LE. THE OIL PROVIDES AN EASY GEAR CHANGE AT LOW TEMPERATURES AND OPTIMUM PROTECTION AT HIGH TEMPERATURES.
IMPORTANT: THE OIL IS NOT TESTED OR SPECIFIED UNDER STANDARDS OTHER THAN THOSE INDICATED IN THIS LISTING. IN ORDER TO SPECIFY THE CORRECT OIL FOR THE CAR, ALWAYS CHECK THE OWNER'S MANUAL FOR THE CAR
TECHNICAL DATA:
DENSITY: 870 Kg/ cu M
BASE: MINERAL OIL
LOWEST FLOW POINT: -65.2F
FLASH POINT: 388F
VISCOSITY @ 104F: 40 sq mm/sec
VISCOSITY @ 212F: 7.5 sq mm/sec
VOLVO PART NUMBER 1161640.

This is the Manual trans fluid data sheet
NEW DEALER STOCK, VOLVO TRANSMISSION FLUID - SYNTHETIC. A MULTIGRADE SYNTHETIC OIL INTENDED FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS IN PASSENGER CARS. THE OIL HAS VERY GOOD LOW TEMPERATURE PROPERTIES AND ENABLES SMOOTH GEAR CHANGES DOWN TO -40F.THE LOW FRICTION CONTRIBUTES TO LOW FUEL CONSUMPTION. RECOMMENDED FOR ENGINES SUCH AS M56, M58, M90 AND M5M52. THE FLUID HAS BEEN SPECIALLY DEVELOPED FOR THESE TRANSMISSIONS AND HAS NO EQUAL ON THE MARKET. IT OFFERS VERY GOOD GEAR CHANGING AND LOW TEMPERATURE PERFORMANCE.
IMPORTANT: THE OIL IS NOT TESTED OR SPECIFIED UNDER STANDARDS OTHER THAN THOSE INDICATED IN THIS LISTING. IN ORDER TO SPECIFY THE CORRECT OIL FOR THE CAR, ALWAYS CHECK THE OWNER'S MANUAL FOR THE CAR
TECHNICAL DATA:
QUALITY: API GL-4, VOLVO STD. 97308, 10; SAE 5W - 30, (SAE 75W)
DENSITY: 890 Kg/ cu M
BASE: SYNTHETIC
LOWEST FLOW POINT: -54.4F
FLASH POINT: 453F
VISCOSITY @ 104F: NE
VISCOSITY @ 212F: 10.5 sq mm/sec
VOLVO PART NUMBER 1161645.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Default RE: Transmission Fluid

http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html

Mobil 3309 if you have Asin W. transmission.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Sorry, but must I must agree with cornfed. Volvo is not the only car manufacturer to utilize the AW transmission. Toyota currently carries the T-IV fluid for about $5 per quart; meets the same 3309 spec. Mobil 3309 also meets spec., but is harder to find. Personally, I found it on the net for about $60 per case, before I tried the Toyota dealership. There are cheaper alternatives that meet the T-IV spec, but I won't mention now.

I suggest everyone does their own research, but man are we looking up a dead dogs #($*.

From what I understand, this transmission will not be repaired- rather it will be repalced at a cost of 4-5k.

Check the fluid; if its not pretty, flush it per Volvo recommended procedure - even if you have to pay a little extra from the dealerdhip. It's cheaper than a new trannie.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:26 PM

uhhh, that has been determined and slam dunked for quite sometime about Mobil 3309 being the only source for JWS 3309 oil spec.

You don't have one oil manufacturer "cheaper" than Mobil 3309, or Toyota T1-V which is Mobil 3309. No one else meets the JWS 3309 spec. Universal fluids (which is where you may be going) that say "it's compatible" don't meet jws 3309. All you have to do is call a Mobil distributor in your area and go pick it up for $50 per 12 quarts.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:52 PM

Thank you guys for this discussion!!! I bought S60 base with 45k miles on it and brown transmission oil…

I totally agree that transmission fluid from Volvo is not synthetic and the price is ridicules. I guess that Volvo dealers are very interested in transmission rebuilds or they would like to sell you a new car or increase price for professional flush service.

Long story short, I replaced transmission fluid with Amsoil… just a few hours ago and did a test drive. I cannot believe that amsoil can do what it did. Transmission shifts faster and sometimes I cannot feel how it shifts!

Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Where is the dip stick for the transmission fluid? How long do will the automatic last?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:11 AM

Small, yellow stick… in my car it was hidden behind radiator’s water house. Virtually it is in-between radiator and engine on the bottom… or you can follow transmission houses, they go to transmission and connected to the radiator from driver’s side of radiator.

Automatic transmission lasts for a life of Volvo fluid up to 105k(some people say that transmission was ok after 105k also). As my understanding we have 2 choices: change fluid more frequently or change transmission every 100k Miles.
…just my opinion.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:28 AM

You are the second guy I know of that is using Amsoil synthetic trans fluid. I thnk of all fluids that is the only one, if the 3309 was NOT available, that I would use. The main reason you are running more smoothly right now, is because the old fluid was so sheared down and oxidized.

Stay on here and give monthly report on how it is running. 3309 is so inexpensive and is the correct fluid according to Aisin Warner. Amsoil is a universal fluid recommended (only by Amsoil), but doesn't meet the specification. Nonethe less I believe I would have no qualms using it. Except for price. But frankly, Amsoil is much less expensive than the Volvo rip off fluid which is just rebottled 3309.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid