Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fluid (IS Synthetic!)

I agree… also most of the problems I had when fluid was cold … after 10-30 minutes of driving it was shifting ok.
Sure, I will let you know next month where it stands…
I spend sometime in research. I even called Amsoil… I have no doubt that their fluid is a good one. Very stable no matter hot or cold transmission. More resistant if you ran your tranny hot… and depends on contaminations you might run it longer.
It cost around 80-89 for 12 quarts (I do not remember) if you will buy 10$ "membership" for 6 month.

I will give you another example with another car I have.(Chrysler Cirrus, my backup car)
Cirrus should take special atf but when I bought it used 3 years ago shop replaced transmission fluid with Mercon.
A week from oil drain and refill, my car started limp mode. So the picture was like this you driving on highway and all the sudden that thing goes to neutral and at 50MPH it shifts to second gear. I went to trans shops and they told me that I have to replace transmission they do not know why that thing is acting crazy. Well I did research and found that fluid might cause a problem… so I went to Chrysler and ask them to replace it with recommended ATF. In 10-20 days after this procedure transmission fixed itself. Now cirrus is burning oil but never had another problem with transmission.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:04 PM

I forgot to mention that I did a flush. I believe that for me it is easier then D and ReF
…some steps and some modified steps without oil drops.(or very insignificant):
1. Get IPD flush kit. (it is kind of expensive but has this “green” clip for transmission hose and o-rings … I did not use it but it might be needed if you will damage clip or you need o-rings… otherwise you need a hose only)
2. (slightly modified step) Follow IPD instructions up to what hose to disconnect…. I disconnected upper hose!
Reasons:
My hands a little bigger then they should be, so I did not like location of the lower hose…
If you will flush it though lower hose you will have some c**p in the radiator…maybe
3. “Insert” IPD hose to the radiator (in my case it was right diameter but if it is not tight enough…get it from Hardware Store), secure hose with tape (I used 3M it is easy to remove )
4. …follow IPD instructions.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:54 PM

How many miles do people have on their original AT? I just bought a used 2001 2.4T with 105k on it, I have no idea if it has ever had its transmission fluid replaced, it was serviced by Borton Volvo in Minneapolis since about 50k.
Am I about to be out $$$ for a new transmission? Right now I'm not driving it more than 10miles a week, since I'm studying all day at my home. I'm going to ask the previous owner if the transmission fluid was flushed.
How can you tell when the transmission is going? It seems to drive fine now.

I took another look and I still couldn't find the dip stick.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:44 PM

Dip stick:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...;postid=714080
Transmission and fluid:
http://www.samarins.com/check/transmission.html

Old 06-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red02S60

I agree… also most of the problems I had when fluid was cold … after 10-30 minutes of driving it was shifting ok.
Sure, I will let you know next month where it stands…
I spend sometime in research. I even called Amsoil… I have no doubt that their fluid is a good one. Very stable no matter hot or cold transmission. More resistant if you ran your tranny hot… and depends on contaminations you might run it longer.
It cost around 80-89 for 12 quarts (I do not remember) if you will buy 10$ "membership" for 6 month.

I will give you another example with another car I have.(Chrysler Cirrus, my backup car)
Cirrus should take special atf but when I bought it used 3 years ago shop replaced transmission fluid with Mercon.
A week from oil drain and refill, my car started limp mode. So the picture was like this you driving on highway and all the sudden that thing goes to neutral and at 50MPH it shifts to second gear. I went to trans shops and they told me that I have to replace transmission they do not know why that thing is acting crazy. Well I did research and found that fluid might cause a problem… so I went to Chrysler and ask them to replace it with recommended ATF. In 10-20 days after this procedure transmission fixed itself. Now cirrus is burning oil but never had another problem with transmission.
Well said, the daughter got the old Neon trans fluid changed a couple of years ago, they put in Mercon. Now shifts were horrible. I found it out and fumed back there and bought the Mopar +4 myself and watched them put it in. After a couple of days shifts were great. Now the car is still fine, (sold it to a neighbor).

Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Report:
Amsoil ATF worksreally well.
40+ daysand car switches well.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 PM

where is the drain plug for the transmission? I couldn't seem to find it.
Thanks.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Default RE: Transmission Fluid

Okay, I'm lost between synthetic, non-synthetic, etc.

I was told by Volvo Service (of course) that the car really needed to have Volvo Transmission fluid and it needed to be done at 50,000. I'm sort of okay with the 50,000 miles but do question the need for Volvo branded transmission fluid - that just seems to be more of a racket and in line with boosting margins in the service department. I feel that I may have been duped. Was I?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Hi.

1. I changed the fluid in my s60/2001 2.4t when bought it. I used Mobil 3309 because it's 4 times cheaper and you need a lot of it to flush the transmission.
2. After transmission flush, your transmission may start acting up. Volvo s60 is very sofisticated electornically and after you change the trans. fluid you most likely will need a transmission software reset. labour + software, about $100.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Whats the word on tranny coolers? I know for most cars it is said its good to have and prolongs life of tranny.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: nikesboy

Okay, I'm lost between synthetic, non-synthetic, etc.

I was told by Volvo Service (of course) that the car really needed to have Volvo Transmission fluid and it needed to be done at 50,000. I'm sort of okay with the 50,000 miles but do question the need for Volvo branded transmission fluid - that just seems to be more of a racket and in line with boosting margins in the service department. I feel that I may have been duped. Was I?
I wouldn't say duped, they are half right to make sure the right fluid is used. The Volvo fluid is to a JWS 3309 oil spec (we all know it's mobil 3309). The owners manuals say to use JWS 3309 compliant oil and the only one on the market (not compatible but exactly to the spec) is either the Volvo fluid, Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-1V (which is Mobil 3309 as well).

I have over 35K on the Mobil 3309 (changed at 40K), and I drain and fill several times a year consuming about 12 quarts over that time. Cost of a case of 12 is only $50 so to me it's a good program. Trans seems fine at 75K

Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 AM
reg

My 02 c70 has the fluid changed every two years by the dealer............flushed. The dealer uses the G.M. fluid and NOT the Volvo fluid. Never had a problem. TECH also agrees with this fluid. The dealer mechanic infomed me that he has never had a trans failure using the G.M. 'stuff'.

r.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Reg, I recall (and If I am incorrect I am sure you will let me know), that you had the trans flushed with BG fluids not GM (whatever that means) fluids. Are you saying you have dexron in the trans. If it works (and it must or you would have shifting problems by now) then obviously you are staying with it. My only point is that straying from what is OEM or recommended is a bit of a crap shoot based on the AW trans requirements.

What Volvo dealer are you referring to that uses GM fluids?There is a premier Volvo independant shop here in Ann Arbor MI that only uses BG fluids for their flushes.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:10 PM

Hello everyone!
Here is a good deal...

[IMG]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/avlube_1977_798989" width=102 align=left border=0>

Meets Toyota, Lexus, Volvo, Audi, Saturn, Ford, VW, Saab, Porsche and Mitsubishi transmission requirement T-IV and Aisin AW requirements JWS 3309, GM 9986195, and Audi G-052-025-A2. Certain vehicles including Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Saturn, Ford, Volvo, Volkswagen, Saab, Porsche, and Mitsubishi use this ATF as transmission fluid. 3309 is an exceptionally high performance ATF for use in certain slip-controlled lock up automatic transmissions. Case of 12 quarts.

atf3309Regular price: $69.00Sale price: $57.00

go to: http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html

Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM

New poster here asking for help. 2001 Volvo S60 T5.

Wife was driving the vehicle home when it went into "limp home" mode. WhenI took it in to the dealership (with "Service Engine" light on). They told me the trans fluid was "worn and discolored" and needed to be flushed. After flush with BG, replace and software upgrade ($368 total), the vehicle nows drives worse than when I took it in. The slight hesitance shifting out of 2nd gear is a now a full blown lurch. When I took it back to dealership (foolishly waited since it didn't seem so bad at first), they politely informed me that the new transmission the vehicle needed would run me a cool $4k. After speaking with the Service Manager (who told me that the General Manager agreed with him), they offered the number for Volvo USA to file a complaint (who was less then helpful).

Any advice???

Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM

To: kjbaker600

>>> After flush with BG, replace and software upgrade ($368 total) <<<

Hey man, thoseyahoosat the dealershipcharged me $400+ just for the Trans Oil Change (2004 S60 2.5Tauto trans)... You might have a wrong oil typein your transmission since they charged you so little. who knows !?!

P.S. What is BG stands for???

Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 AM

Hi guys I don't have your problem although it is related. I have 154000 miles on my 2001 S60 I looked into changing the transmission fluid but I was told by 2 different mechanics that if it was not giving me problems leave it alone. They said that flushing or changing the fluid may disturb the grime that has built up and cause transmission failure. I would appreciate any input on my situation. Thanks mstrplmber

Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Radik

To: kjbaker600

>>> After flush with BG, replace and software upgrade ($368 total) <<<

Hey man, thoseyahoosat the dealershipcharged me $400+ just for the Trans Oil Change (2004 S60 2.5Tauto trans)... You might have a wrong oil typein your transmission since they charged you so little. who knows !?!

P.S. What is BG stands for???
http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html
Independant company that has a universal trans fluid. It is NOT JWS 3309 capatible , I would get the right fluid in there, Mobil 3309 or the Volvo fluid.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Hello all, I just got a s60 2.5T AWD with 60K miles... I'll have it certified through 2010 and 100,000. I am just wondering if there are any precautions I should take as I don't know what they'vedone to the tranny to deem the car certified, i .e. I don't know what kind of fluid they used or even when they last switched it, etc.

It seems as though it shifts a little bit inconsistently, though I'm not sure if it is normal or not. Sometimes I'll barely press the gas and it will jump forward with a bunch of power, other times it seems to hesitate until it can't ignore my foot anymore. It's still amazing relative to my 1997 Suzuki Esteem, though, which is why I need some input

Any thoughts/help?

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid