Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 S60 - Vida

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S60 - Vida

Gents,

Some time ago I ordered the Vida disks so that I could view the repair manual for my 2013 S60 T5.

Everything was fine up to the point at which I needed to enter a password. The instructions provided did not work.

It is frustrating that there is no reliable shop / repair manual for my car. The few times I took my car to the dealer, they did a lousy job and did not touch some of the maintenance things required.

Can someone point me to where I can reliably view the repair manual for my car?

Or has someone had success with downloading this manual - password- ?

I have both a macbook air and an older Dell (windows).

Appreciate any help in just getting a good copy of the repair manual.

Thanks

Kid

Old 11-18-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by kanadakid
Everything was fine up to the point at which I needed to enter a password. The instructions provided did not work.
On mine there is a single field where all I need to do is enter "admin".

The problem may be that buried in the instructions there is a patch that you need to install, and if you don't install it correctly, you might end up in this situation.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:01 AM

Ericy

Thank you for taking time to reply to my inquiry. Where did you get your VIDA disks? looking for a reliable source so that I can view the repair procedures for my car? Where can I get a reliable set of disks ? Thanks Kid

Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by kanadakid
Ericy

Thank you for taking time to reply to my inquiry. Where did you get your VIDA disks? looking for a reliable source so that I can view the repair procedures for my car? Where can I get a reliable set of disks ? Thanks Kid
I got mine from Ebay, but I can't remember which seller. And in retrospect, it appears that everything on Ebay are pirated versions of something originally from Volvo.

In normal usage at a dealer, I believe that there will be username/password fields, and some sort of admin will need to configure the accounts that are allowed to use the thing. Part of the point of the "patch" is to modify the thing so that you just have to enter "admin" to get past the login screen.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM

So far I can not find a reliable source (Ebay) for the VIDA repair manual. The vendors on E bay do not respond to question about installation or support. So I have new rotor and break pads with no repair information. Does anyone have a set of disks they will send me that actually work on their PC ? I will return them. Or can someone take screen-shots of the break service and repair for 2103 Volvo S60 T5. Think it is unreasonable for Volvo to make it so difficult to get repair or service information. The dealers I have been to did a horrible job.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Its unreasonable for Volvo to not support your illegal copies of their software?

Its brakes. Nothing special about the job unless you are doing rears and have electronic parking brake. Then you'll need VIDA to put them in service mode unless you pull the motors.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:50 PM

ES6T,

If you can not offer help to a post then why bother responding to a legitimate request of need by derailing it off topic with a comment that has nothing to do with the need for help.

I see your thousands of posts and your response sounds cavalier and offers nothing other than being self serving and side tracks my request by incorrectly restating my request into an off topic debate.

1) There is no legitimate, reasonable access to repair information for my Volvo Car.
2) There is reliable reasonable access to repair information available for almost every other manufacturer.

Had I known that I would have so much difficulty getting repair / maintenance information for my 2013 Volvo S60 T5 I would have purchased another car. There are a lot of other great cars out there where this information is reasonably accessible.

Why does Volvo do this ?

To support dealerships who in my opinion offer sub par service and "lets be honest here" tech writers who's only job is to up-sell service that it not really needed or required.

The couple of occasions that I visited the Volvo dealership they did not do all of the work required by the manual and some of the requested work was not performed.

There was no request for Volvo to support illegal copies of proprietary software.

But what is unreasonable is for Volvo to not provide reasonable access to repair information
for their vehicles.

"It's brakes" Nothing special about the job. Another comment that offers nothing by way of help but to serve as a way for you to elevate yourself.

Yes, I am doing the front and rear brakes and the car does have a EPB system.

But even if it did not have an EPB system there are anomalies to every car, torque specs and other details that should be followed. After all my family and loved ones will be in the car and would like to have the knowledge, comfort in knowing that the job was completed correctly and within spec.

So no thanks for sidetracking my need for help by re-directing my request into a direction that was neither suggested or helpful.

Now I sit with rotors and pads and no reasonable access to the replacement procedures about how to install them properly.

Looking forward to post #3884 with some helpful and insightful information about replacing my brakes and rotors. Kid

Old 12-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

A lot of my cavalier posts are towards people who think that they are owed something because other manufacturers do it one way or because they read about a problem that is common so it should be a recall or they shouldn't have to pay to have a dealer program keys.

1) You can buy a legal copy of VIDA. But you are right, probably not reasonable just for brakes. If you just want torque specs, try AllData.

2) I'm not sure about that, never looked into it.

Maintenance information is in the owners manual, if you are referring to the maintenance schedule. If you are referring to how to perform various parts of the maintenance schedule, then that is also in VIDA.

Why does Volvo do this? Because what incentive do they have to provide this information so that people can do their own work? For information like oil changes, air filters, brakes, spark plugs and other relatively simple work, most mechanically inclined people can perform it without a manual.

And your comment about my only job being to upsell work that is not needed is exactly why I wouldn't want to help you. Are there dishonest technicians at dealerships? Sure. Are there dishonest technicians at independent shops? Yep. Are there dishonest plumbers and electricians? Yes. There are dishonest people everywhere. But painting with a broad brush isn't warranted. I do not sell work that is not needed and I never have a problem if a customer wants to come back and see everything I am recommending. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but that does not mean we are all bad.

Good luck.