Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drive-E fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive-E fuel economy

I thought I'd pass on the fuel economy results of a 1070 mile trip I took where I decided to check the indicated fuel economy against measured.
The trip consisted of about 200 miles of typical New England twisty, hilly two lane roads going through lots of small towns. I averaged about 45mph and the reading showed 34.3mpg. The rest of the trip was interstate through New York and on to Illinois where I drove between 72 and 75mph most of the way.
I also did several long checks on the odometer which showed that it underreported the distance by 0.6%.
At the end, the display showed 35.9mpg while my calculation was 35.4, a difference of less than 2% which I thought was pretty good.
In previous long trips where I just relied on the readout, I found that the V-60 is very sensitive to winds in terms of fuel economy. I did the same trip in June with a 10-15mph head/crosswind and it knocked things down to just over 30mpg.
Overall, I think that Volvo has hit a home run with this engine, especially since the new XC-90 is using a more juiced up version so it's clear Volvo is putting a lot of their eggs in the Drive-E system. Now if they could just smooth out the start/stop system which is incredibly crude compared to the Camry Hybrid we have.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM

I have a new V60 2015 E Drive. about 3000 miles on car. Have taken trip recently a trip lots of highway, some 2 lane road. Averaged 34 mpg. Highest seen over tank full was 35 mpg. Actually am a little disappointed since highway rating is 37 mpg. In my most recent cars (2009 Audi TT and 2005 Subaru Legacy) I have achieved 1 or MPG above the highway rating on such trips.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:45 AM

I also am used to getting at or somewhat above the EPA rating although to be honest, I'm probably driving faster with this car than others. The only other car I had that didn't often exceed the EPA rating was a supercharged Bonneville.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 AM

Does anyone know with Drive-E if it is possible to shut off the auto stop/start function?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 AM

As far as I know, the only way is to use the green button labeled "A" as the bottom of the stack. You have to do it each time you start the car if you want it off. If I'm in lots of stop and go traffic, I'll turn it off but otherwise, I just leave it on, as crude as it is.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldacura
Does anyone know with Drive-E if it is possible to shut off the auto stop/start function?
yes. If you go into the my volvo settings in the dashboard there is a setting that determines if the engine stop start feature is either enabled or disabled each time the engine is started. If you untick the checkbox in the dash, then the green light on the button will be off every time you start the car. In fact, whdn i picked up my 2017 s60 t5 inscription, the engine stop start feature did not work, evev though the green light in the button at the bottom of the stack was illuminated. I had to go into the my volvo settings and toggle the check box off and back on. It has worked fine since thrn.

Last edited by Marty Miller; 03-05-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marty Miller
yes. If you go into the my volvo settings in the dashboard there is a setting that determines if the engine stop start feature is either enabled or disabled each time the engine is started. If you untick the checkbox in the dash, then the green light on the button will be off every time you start the car. In fact, whdn i picked up my 2017 s60 t5 inscription, the engine stop start feature did not work, evev though the green light in the button at the bottom of the stack was illuminated. I had to go into the my volvo settings and toggle the check box off and back on. It has worked fine since thrn.
That's interesting because it isn't possible on mine. Maybe the difference is that I have a very early build Drive-E with perhaps an older Sensus version and the menu does not allow for changes to the function. It does tell you if start-stop is available but you can't turn it off in the menu.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:42 PM

The engine has to be running and it has to be warmed up, the outside temperature has to be between 23 and 87 degrees F, your seatbelt has to be on and you have to drive it fast enough to get the system to engage. I think that's about 15 MPH. Then navigate to the Drive-E area from the My S60 screen and select Engine System. Once you get to there, toggle the system off by pressing the green illuminated button on the bottom of the center stack. You should see a "system off" message on the screen. That's it. Since I didn't want to disable it, rather I wanted it to start working, I just toggled it off and back on again with the car idling to get it to start working. Another way to disable it is to put the gear shift into sport mode. Another area in the menu that disables it is My S60 - My S60 and put a check in the ESC off box. That puts the car in sport mode with electronic stability control off (or at least turned down a lot) to allow mild drifting, etc.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Just to double check that I haven't missed anything, I went out and followed your steps. Again, all my menu does is tell me if Start-Stop is available. You can't do anything about it if it is or isn't available.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by mainesail
Just to double check that I haven't missed anything, I went out and followed your steps. Again, all my menu does is tell me if Start-Stop is available. You can't do anything about it if it is or isn't available.
once you reach that point in the menu, at first, there is nothing on the screen. If you press the green illuminated button on the bottom of the center stack, you will see the statement appear to tell you if it is enabled or disabled. Pressing that button toggles the option off and on.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Sorry that I misunderstood. I took the original question as asking if you could permanently turn off the Start-Stop function. I do use that button on occasion if I think that the engine will only shut off for a few seconds.