Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Reliability of 2000 s80 t6 twin turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of 2000 s80 t6 twin turbo?

Yeah i've seen this amazing looking s80 twin turbo on kijiji. Here is the add (it's in french thought) 2000 Volvo S80 T-6 Berline***174244 Km***SUPERBE LUXUEUSE*** - Montréal autos à vendre - Kijiji Montréal

I know the early s80 aren't the most reliable cars, thus why i'm asking feedback on this s80 twin turbo. Is it worth the 4250$? The car has quite low mileage at 177 000 km.

Because every time i see the pictures, i fall in love with the looks of the car. If i don't get this car, i'm deff doing with a 1998 s70 for now, and something else like an s60-s80 this summer. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM

I would really appreciate some help because i'm going to see the car tonight, and before i fall in love with it and decide to buy it, i'd like to know if i'm getting into something bad by buying this car !?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pass, and don't look back. the twin turbo s80 is an awesome car, but the early years were not good, too many problems mostly minor, but they add up. they had major transmission issues.

but if you got all the service records for it might turn out to be a bargain.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 AM

IMO The reliability is no worse than any other twin turbo car. You will have the satisfaction of the quickness of a twin turbo car but at a cost of higher maintenance of a turbo vehicle because it has more parts. Check for oil leaks (you will need to remove the plastic tray at the bottom to properly examine that), check for any messages like check engine light. As for transmission check for 2nd to 3rd upshift judder.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 AM

well put poop....just had to sorry...

Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 AM

I tried the car, it seems to run great, trans is smooth, engine starts very well, suspension is tight and seems to have no loose. Check engine light is on, when i go back, ill bring my computer and plug it in to see whats the problem. The place has a 1 year waranty at 250, ill have to see what it covers if it covers everything on the car, ill take the waranty.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM

What kind of maintenance should i be doing on this car? Besides oil changes, spark plugs, and how often should i do maintenance? Once a week? Once a month?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM

The fact that you have a OBD scanner suggest that you know more about cars than the average person. There is really nothing special about maintaining this car. If you really want to put some maintenance into it, start with examining the timing belt (most important). Next, which is unique to this volvo are the electricals leading up to the ignition coils. The engine gets quite hot under the plastic cover, quite often in tropical countries, the plastic looming gets brittle and crumble, exposing the wiring, if not replaced, the insulation on the wiring starts to breakdown as well from the heat of the engine. I see a lot of snow in your picture so I guess this problem may be less severe. Eventually you will have to replace rubber spring seat, but you can usually hear a knocking when going over bumps or uneven roads. That part is not expensive, just 1 or 2 hours labour each side. Check out IPDUSA, they carry a lot of usual wearable parts. Your dealer will also be able to source OE parts. I like this car, the black color suits it well and the black leather interior means very little dirt will show, (you will still need to use leather conditioners to maintain it to a good standard.)

There are probably 2 - 3 dozen other things that could go wrong with the car (but that applies to any other car). Just read the forum, you will find you are not the first.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM

[quote=poopbunny;306401]The engine gets quite hot under the plastic cover, quite often in tropical countries, the plastic looming gets brittle and crumble, exposing the wiring, if not replaced, the insulation on the wiring starts to breakdown as well from the heat of the engine. I see a lot of snow in your picture so I guess this problem may be less severe. quote]

Sorry to jump in but that part really caught my attention - when I replaced my spark plugs a couple months ago I noticed my looming under the plastic cover was very crumbly - I actually vacumed out the loose pieces. I didn't think much of it and didn't replace the looming.
Any issues that may come of this?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 PM

none at all, if you are worried about it wire loom is 30 cents a foot.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Okay, so i got the car yesterday, rides like a dream, anyways, i was wondering a few things, has anyone installed an aftermarket radio with rca outputs? Because i have a sub that i'd like to use again. Also, does anyone know if theres some boost gauge that i could use for the car? I was thinking of a bov but since the turbos are so small it'd be pretty useless. Also, i'll definitely get myself a custom stainless exhaust around summer time.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Congratulations on your new ride!

I now have a Mercedes S500, but I like the S80 so much I could not bear to part with it, so I kept it.

How about a Heads Up Display?
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...000-s80-59288/

Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM

I recently acquired one Identical to this one...2k S80 T6. Despite the negative press from some, I am really impressed with it... I doesn't have the tire burning power like my 850 R but it does get in the wind pretty quick. I bought mine for the cost of towing it to my house because the shop that had it didn't know what they were doing and the owner needed some money ASAP on the spot... He had to pay the tow guy so I paid for everything... $300...150 for the tow, 150 to the owner who couldn't afford to fix it..they were going to sell it as scrap!.. So when I got it the Head was off, missing some Cam tappets, missing a Turbo charge pipe, surprisingly every single bolt when they took the head off was in a box and not one bolt was missing... The cylinders were rusty. They said it blew a HG and had a Cracked cylinder because it was aluminum! haha..I immediately saw that the cyls were rusty from sitting...(When was the last time you saw aluminum RUST?).. so I closed the hood and made an offer and they jumped on it.. Had the head checked and it was 18 thousandths out..Shaved, new stem seals and checked for cracks...New HG, T-belt, Wp, tensioner bearing etc... VVT timing set, compression check...125 across the 6...new plugs, fire in the Hole! REpaired the normal leaks...Dip stick, both Turbo oil return seals, Tranny cooling line o-rings...Leak free and runs smooth as silk... Transmission is so smooth you can hardly tell it shifts many times...It does have a small whine in 2nd which concerns me..its not loud but noticeable to a trained ear...almost sounds like a PS pump low on fluid or a small rattle in a heat shield..but really faint... No torque or slipping loss... I am really impressed with it.. I know its Volvo Flagship and basically it's over engineered and many brick walls for the DIY'ers... Limited to intricate details in data system without special diag tools and an expensive Volvo Data collection / monitoring system... Some thing will be at the mercy of the dealer.. other than that, I hope it is a reliable car from hence forth..I've put 500 miles on it since I got it running. He did you ever say what your CEL was?.. Enjoy it man.. I love mine.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Check for that whine on the trans. Could be a bad sign... But i do agree, this trans is VERY smooth, but sometimes i does shift a tard harder, but i mean, 95% of the time, i don't notice it shift. I'll still be doing a trans oil change near june, and probably add a trans cooler just to make sure i avoid any problems. I did have a question, what the hell is the W on the trans? I can't find any info on that on google and it's bothering me lol... Also, i could probably get a set of 18" pegasus wheels for cheap, one would need fixing but i'm maybe looking at 100$ of repairs and the wheels are 500$ with good summer tires. So would that be a good buy !?

Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 PM

I believe it is a winter setting. You'll notice in the dash it will display "W" instead of "D". Seems to start in second rather than first for slick conditions. Not sure if it does anything else, but I've used it a few times during some snow this year. Not necessarily any better if you know how to drive in snow but handy.