Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S80
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 PM

Default S80 oil leak

I was hoping someone might know what this oil leak is- since the dealer said it is quite common! They claim it is a "drain tube plug" missing in the block and want about $350.00 to make the repair.

I wonder if it might be a plug that blocks off the port where the turbo oil line returns to the block? They claim it requires removal of a manifold- I cant recall if they said the exhaust of intake.

In addition, although I can smell burning oil after a long hot run, I don't see any oil dripping from the car- no spot on the ground.

Anyone with a similar experience?
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar245 View Post
I was hoping someone might know what this oil leak is- since the dealer said it is quite common! They claim it is a "drain tube plug" missing in the block and want about $350.00 to make the repair.

I wonder if it might be a plug that blocks off the port where the turbo oil line returns to the block? They claim it requires removal of a manifold- I cant recall if they said the exhaust of intake.

In addition, although I can smell burning oil after a long hot run, I don't see any oil dripping from the car- no spot on the ground.

Anyone with a similar experience?
Sounds right. looks like you need the PVC service. There is a plasitc box under and to the left of the throttle body. When the hose he mentions clogs it leaks oil. If its clogged you should get smoke coming out of the the dip stick tube. When its good and warm pull out the dip stick see if it smokes.

If it is the PVC service its something you should have done. Get them to clean the throttle body while in there.

My mechanic was a bit more reasonable. He said I may need the manifold off but would start with the PVC box first, sometmes its just the hoses in there that clog or go bad. I paid about $150. I did not need to remove the manifold.

Jim
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Thank you for the courtesy of a reply. This seems reasonable, as I can imagine this may have not been done before. I will have my mechanic check into it.

Over the last few days we have experienced battery trouble. I am thinking the car had its original battery- which was marked "Volvo... Made in Germany". We drove it to a shop and had it tested. The flunkie said "it has a current drain". Really? With the trunk open and the trunk lights ON... it has a current drain? So ~embarrassed~ he closed the trunk and ran the test again and mumbled "its charged". I asked "So... its OK?" "Yeah" he said. My son gets in and its dead. LOL! I purchased a new battery, and the wrenches to put it in (they were too backed up) and everything seemed fine- starter spun the motor a bit quicker than usual. The proof will be when my son gets in it today and it starts again- or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0439.jpg (86.8 KB, 12 views)
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Theres two common oil leak troublespots. First one is underneath the inlet manfiold. This is the PCV breather box, the seal for this was updated at a later stage to a better one. Commonly this box gets clogged with crud.
The other area is the turbo oil drain pipes at the exhaust side of the motor. These DO NOT require a manifold to be removed, although that is commonly (and mistakenly) thought.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 PM

Just to be sure, mine is a NON-turbo 2.9. I was told on the phone by a Volvo mechanic that the plug for the turbo oil cooler return line is common to pop out. Volvo quoted $350, this independent shop quoted $280.00- including the $7.00 part.

It would seem if the manifold does not need to be removed, it would be far cheaper to get this fixed, or possibly I could do it myself. I have the skill, just not the experience on Volvos, nor do I have a lot of free time.

So, if anyone knows of a thread where this repair is addressed, please point the way, because I cant seem to find it.

As for the PVC "box"- is that a non-turbo issue as well?
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3
Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Ah, I thought you said it was a turbo somewhere. I need to lay off the sauce!
Anyway, for sure it should be a DIY job. jack the car up, take A look and judge for yourself. I
don't think there's a guide. Like a lot of things on this car it's not difficult as such, just friggin awkard.

I believe the 2.9 uses the same PCV box arrangement, which you should checkout as that might be the root cause of the plug popping out.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Tags
1999, burning, common, crackcase, drain, hot, leak, leaks, oil, pipe, run, s80, smell, source, turbo, ventilartioon, volvo