Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

How to switch off day light ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to switch off day light ?

Hi there !

Just bought a second hand 2004 Volvo V40. The car is nice and i am really liking the drive. Please can some one tell me how to turn off the parking light during day time ? Cannot figure out how to turn them off.. Whenever i start the car, the headlight is turned on automatically.. If i put it 0, then it will turn off when i shutdown the engine but the other position ( i guess parking ), will have the small lights on.

I don't want these lights to be on when i start my car..

Thanks very much for your help

Regards,
Ganesh

Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: How to switch off day light ?

If the car came with the owners manual read through it tells you how to do it.

If not the dealer has to do it.
Or someone may post how to do it. I don't know how to do it that was I always use the Volvo computer system to do it.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Daytime Running Lights:
TheV40 comes from the factory with daytime running lights activated. Carry out the following steps if you wish todeactivate them (in the U.S. only ). These steps may be carried out again to reactivate and deactivate the daytime running lights as desired.

Programming for On or OFF
Turn the headlight switch to position .
Turn the ignition key in position II.
Pull the turn signal lever towards you and hold it while turning the headlight switch to position 0.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I still don't understand why people don't want DRL's.

1. In most U.S. states it is illegal to not use them or for that matter not to have them.

2. It makes you more visible. Yeah even in broad daylight it makes your more visible.

3. It isn't hurting anything at all.

I keep my low beams on all the time.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:35 PM

I still don't understand why people don't want DRL's.
I agree, but he asked so I gave the answer.

They are not legal requirements in the UK but I would never think of switching mine off. Other drivers still flash their lights at me to tell me mine are on. Therefore, they do what they were designed for - they have seen my car.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:51 PM

On the switch where you turn on lights there is a small flathead screw to the lower right. With the lights on the off position push in the screw with a small screwdriver push it in and to theleft and that disables the drl's

Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: chewy

On the switch where you turn on lights there is a small flathead screw to the lower right. With the lights on the off position push in the screw with a small screwdriver push it in and to theleft and that disables the drl's
Yes this is found on the 850's and 70 series models to like year 2000 or 01.

However most of the newer model Volvo's do not have this.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 AM

The steps listed to turn off DRL's is correct as I did it to my 2000 V40. If you talk to any headlamp manufacturer anytime you activate the lights upon ignition is very, very hard on the bulb filament. Thus, bulb life is much shorter. Never turn on your headlights before the engine starts b/c engine surges etc can cause premature bulb failure. Having DRLs on to be safer is up to the individual, more visible yes, will it prevent or stop an accident, hardly. Just my opinion. If you want nice bright and white light, try Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, they have lasted in my Volvo and all my other cars just as long as halogens and they put out some great light.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: VOLVOV40WAGON

The steps listed to turn off DRL's is correct as I did it to my 2000 V40. If you talk to any headlamp manufacturer anytime you activate the lights upon ignition is very, very hard on the bulb filament. Thus, bulb life is much shorter. Never turn on your headlights before the engine starts b/c engine surges etc can cause premature bulb failure. Having DRLs on to be safer is up to the individual, more visible yes, will it prevent or stop an accident, hardly. Just my opinion. If you want nice bright and white light, try Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, they have lasted in my Volvo and all my other cars just as long as halogens and they put out some great light.
If it is hard on the bulbs why would they make them standard in every car mostly and that they come on when the car is turned on? If they are hard on the bulbs don't you think there would be another setting to have them turned off and then you can switch them on when the car is turned on?

By the way you making it sound like Sylvania Silverstars are not Halogen bulbs. Which indeed they are just regular Halogen bulbs. I had them before I upgraded to HID's. Great bulbs yes and I had no problems with mine like so many others have. I would do HID's before Sylvania Silverstars again though.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Rob, thanks for the input regarding my opinion on DRL's and Silverstar lights. If I remember correctly, and I would have to read the owners manual, but I believe the owners manual states this fact. I spoke with the Hella corporation and they told me the same thing--do NOT have your light switch on when starting the car as slight start up surges could cause premature failure. So for whats is worth, I'm keeping my switch off and the DRL's off too. But I agree, it is O.K. to have them on; why else would the manufacturer put them there?

I didn't know you could install HID's on a V40. It is so hard to find anything out there for this car. Body kits are major $$$$, let alone HID's. Any suggestions on where to get some nice accessories for my V40? There is a place in Canada I believe that sells some nice Volvo stuff--Eurosport Motors I think. Have a great day!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM

Correction: It is actually Eurosport Tuning. I thought it was Eurosport Motors but it is actually Tuning. I have worked with a guy Frank and he does a great job of providing info. for accessories and parts. Check them out.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: VOLVOV40WAGON

Rob, thanks for the input regarding my opinion on DRL's and Silverstar lights. If I remember correctly, and I would have to read the owners manual, but I believe the owners manual states this fact. I spoke with the Hella corporation and they told me the same thing--do NOT have your light switch on when starting the car as slight start up surges could cause premature failure. So for whats is worth, I'm keeping my switch off and the DRL's off too. But I agree, it is O.K. to have them on; why else would the manufacturer put them there?

I didn't know you could install HID's on a V40. It is so hard to find anything out there for this car. Body kits are major $$$$, let alone HID's. Any suggestions on where to get some nice accessories for my V40? There is a place in Canada I believe that sells some nice Volvo stuff--Eurosport Motors I think. Have a great day!
You can get HID's for $125 from MyDepots with a 14 month warranty or get a better set for around $200 from SharpHID and get a LIFETIME warranty. I got a set from SharpHID and love them.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM

OWNERS MANUAL? MAYBE SOMEONE WILL POST THE ANSWER???!!! Uhhhh YA T H I N K??!!!! ARE YOU A MORON? IF U DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, THEN DONT "effing" POST THEN!!! IF THERE WAS AN OWNERS MANUAL IM SURE WE WOULD READ THEM, BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS AN OWNERS MANUAL... those who are the forum police, who feel compelled to comment about the questions and "i still dont understand why people want to drive without running lights, it is illegal not to"!!!! WHY DO YOU CARE IF PEOPLE ARR RUNNING WITH THEIR LIGHTS ON? and it isnt the problem of those who right such crap... So, go find something else to do!!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by hollianne97
So, go find something else to do!!
I think someone needs a time out. And perhaps a small dose of manners...

Lynn B.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely, starting the vehicle all the time when the lights are already on adds additional load to ones battery? Not ideal if it just happens to be nearing the end of it's serviceable life.
Okay if the lights were activated just after the engine starts and recharging action is underway.
Also the alternator must be working just that bit harder on a constant basis affecting it's operational life if lights permanently operating.
(just comments but am certainly not personally against one having daylights if preferred and especially on long distance highway trips where visibility is crucial with overtaking manoeuvres are required.)

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it is illegal not to"!!!!

Not all countries of the world require the use of DVL's.
Here in New Zealand it is optional but definately not discouraged at all.
Actually, they are more commonly seen operating here nowdays than in the past.
Motorcycles here commonly have lights on and are required to, due to they reduced visibility because of smaller size.