Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Help! To repair head gasket/valve job or not to (5-month old post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 AM
lmh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! To repair head gasket/valve job or not to (5-month old post)

Just found/joined this forum after googling for help all evening. I recently (last month) spent a good chunk of change (and plastic) getting my favorite car ever(!) ('98 V70) inspected, repaired, and set for winter... (major tune-up, tires, tie-rod, alignment, etc.....) It drove like a new car... until yesterday (which is about 3 weeks post change chunks....) when I heard a bit of "growling" under the hood.... no clicking, no smoke, gauges all fine. I figured I'd bring it in today.. also not something that is usual for me....[why waste a band-aid that will only get in the way, on a cut that'll heal itself eventually] This morning, on my way into town (about 15 miles) the clicking began (which I usually associate with no oil/engine having seizure)... and as I (tried to) accelerate after the light, power lagged/skipped the (also a brand new occurrence). Pulled into station, popped the hood and (foolishly I'm now figuring) shut it off. Then, for some unknown reason,tried to re-start (bad idea)... Nothing. This car has always started. Well, this very long story will become shorter (I promise!)....looks like timing belt went awry, tensioner wrecked, valves damaged/bent, and everything else that happens when head gasket/valves are blown. Other than yesterday's "growling" and this morning's clicking, there were no symptoms.... no smoke, oil OK, fluids all intact, in their right compartments and all correct colors.... I'm freaked out...From what I've read, repairing this mess will cost much more than car is worth.... but I love this car.... (also have no $). So, what to do? Is there a least bad way to make this better?! Car has about 170K, but (until yesterday) ran great. I'm still in shock... not to mention flustering my poor mechanic/friend as I failed quite miserably at trying to not cry (and I am NOT a crier...). Didn't mean to turn this into a dear abby, but I just need some advice about the worth of having this work done. [won't have actual quote until Monday]. Am not thrilled about spending part of the weekend grieving the loss of my wonderful (but very broken) navy blue wagon!! So much for promises of short story. I just can't believe this happened... I've been so responsible! (other than driving it when I didn't know I wasn't supposed to....) Thanks. I feel better already!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you do any work on it yourself?
You might be able to find a used head for cheap to make it a little cheaper.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 AM
lmh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding. Definitely can't do work myself... could handle an oil change and tune up 30+ years ago.. but not equipped (physically or mechanically) to attempt engine work. Will try to find used head. Still not sure it's worth it... but, pretty hard to find a decent car for less than $3k. Thanks again.