Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

PCV system cleaning and replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV system cleaning and replacement.

Hello all,

My V70s been having 'typical' problems associated with a clogged PCV system (rough'er idle, oil coming out near the filler cap), and I've just been quoted $400 from a local indie place to replace all the associated lines and parts, including labour.

Does this seem like a fair price?

I'd love to tackle the job myself, but I fear I might not be able to handle it.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pcv

Hello, I'd say this is a fair price. I just did this job on a Saab engine and it's intake manifold DIDN'T have to be removed as the Volvo's does. I must do this soon on my 2002 non-turbo Volvo as well. How many miles on your car? Keeping this system clean is one reason I use synthetic oil. The fact that many swear syn. oil is better at startup is the other. Kira

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, I'd say this is a fair price. I just did this job on a Saab engine and it's intake manifold DIDN'T have to be removed as the Volvo's does. I must do this soon on my 2002 non-turbo Volvo as well. How many miles on your car? Keeping this system clean is one reason I use synthetic oil. The fact that many swear syn. oil is better at startup is the other. Kira
Thanks Kira,

Car has 224,000 km and going strong. I bought the car from my Brother, but unfortunately I have no prior service records indicated PCV work, so I've been sticking with the synth to help keep it unclogged and happy.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 AM

Anything else you could recommend that may need 'a poke around', when something like this is being done?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Default at ~140K statute miles....

Hello, Replace any other rubber hose under the hood. Carefully inspect the cooling system hoses. A quarter billion meters is a long time. Check the air cleaner element, remove it's housing and clean it. Replace the vacuum hoses going to and from it's backside. Service the battery, remove it's tray and clean the area with baking soda and water. Since the oil filler cap has had oil leaking past it, replace it. When you order parts online--> from a site sponsor <--buy a dozen aluminum crush washers for the oil drain plug-they work on the transmission drain too. Ask your bro if he ever changed the plugs. Correct plugs only, please (that's your engine talking). What year and trim level is this car? Turbocharged?-do the air pump trick now! Cabin air filter?-remove it and replace it with a piece of moldy bread (only kidding). Kira

Last edited by Georgeandkira; 11-16-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, Replace any other rubber hose under the hood. Carefully inspect the cooling system hoses. A quarter billion meters is a long time. Check the air cleaner element, remove it's housing and clean it. Replace the vacuum hoses going to and from it's backside. Service the battery, remove it's tray and clean the area with baking soda and water. Since the oil filler cap has had oil leaking past it, replace it. When you order parts online--> from a site sponsor <--buy a dozen aluminum crush washers for the oil drain plug-they work on the transmission drain too. Ask your bro if he ever changed the plugs. Correct plugs only, please (that's your engine talking). What year and trim level is this car? Turbocharged?-do the air pump trick now! Cabin air filter?-remove it and replace it with a piece of moldy bread (only kidding). Kira
Its a 1998 Base... I wanted one without a sunroof, and no Turbo for now (to hopefully keep repair costs down). I've done quite a bit of work on the car when I first bought it 5 months ago. Changed the plugs, Rotor and Distributer Cap and all new leads. New engine mounts, new battery, new front sway bars, as well as tie rods and minor work on the suspension (It does sqeak, but I think that might just be the top of the seats?) Also had the timing belt done, Serpentine Belt etc, new waterpump, new K&N Air filter... and the oil filler cap has a new seal... Oh, and I put T5 rims on the car (They have a metallic finish, which I've never seen on another T5 before..) with dark tint.. I think with the PCV clean, it'll give a little life back to the engine (Feels a little sluggish now)

Last bit, I promise... and this has been a bother for me... The discolouration on the steering wheel... I've seen a lot of V70s with it. Is the leather worn past fixing, or is there something I could do to make it a little tidy'er.

Cheers

Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Default If it is indeed leather

Hello, Clean it with saddle soap, no? If it's dirt and skin oil grunge-happy cleaning. If the surface is abraided I suppose all you can do is recover it. I love an old fashioned plastic over metal steering wheel. These modern ones are so chunky and dirty feeling to start with. The same goes for gear shift levers, in my opinion. Good luck. Kira

Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM

does the intake manifold have to be removed to service the PCV system?? This oil leak is driving me NUTZ!!

Thanx s70fanman

Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM

I hear ya fanman, I should buy stock in cat liter at this point. I believe we will have to removed it, there is a post lurking around, maybe a sticky on the process of replacing it.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Finally got the PVC system fixed on my S70 and that controlled the oil leak, the entire fix was my own design and saved me MONEY. The system works like a charm and was (except the HASSLE of removing the intake manifold and related hoses and stuff) rather economical compared to Factory Parts

Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM

I need to know how to check the cooling fan on my s70 as the fan motor does not seem to work

Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Turn on the AC the fan should come right on.