Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone recommend tires other than Michelin?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone recommend tires other than Michelin?

Hello,

Can someone recommend a good tire other than the michelin pilots' that came with the T-6 XC-90?? These tires wore out fast and they cost way too much (1,000 bucks for 4) to replace. thanks..

Old 10-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Default RE: Can someone recommend tires other than Michelin?

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you read back on this XC90 board you'll find a number of posts on the subject from earlier this year and late last year, or, search the board for "Goodyear" and "tires". Usually I am happy to do this search and post the link to the thread (when I don't have an answer myself) but am pretty strapped for time.

I am curious to learn however, why you got poor mileage from your Michelin Pilot's. I ask because I have had conversation on this subject with others on this board, and some (like me) had great success with the pilot, whereas others had the same experience you describe.

I start to wonder if it could be tire size, or possibly made slightly differently (though they should not be...)? The Pilots we had specifically were the HXMXM4, and size was 235-60R-18. Were yours a16 or 17 inch tire by any chance? Are they the HXMXM4 or some other Pilot model? I believe there are several Pilot's, from what searching I did earlier this year.

How would you describe your driving style? Again in our case, my wife drives the XC90 daily to work, a combination of freeway and city driving on not-so-great roads in the Detroit suburbs, and is known to have a lead foot. With all that, we still got 64,500 miles out of the factory installed PilotHXMXM4's.

All the questions are not meant to pry, only to learn more about the situation, because it does seem strange that some get great mileage and some do not.

Incidentally, I caught a sale at Discount Tire for the exact tires we had from the factory on sale, and got the four mounted and balanced, with the warranty and lifetime balance and rotate for $700 back in June. I could have squeezed a few thousand more miles outof the factory tires duringthe summer months, butwith 64K on themthey didn'towe me anything, and I couldn't pass on the price.

Good luck, let me(and the rest of us) know ontheabove if you would. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have to say that the tires aren't 100% ready to be changed yet, so sorry if I mesled anyone. One of the tires is wearing faster on the outside then the rest of them, but that might be due to me not having them rotated sooner but I think the ultimite problem lies in the fact that my driving style is 85% city, very short trips, stop and go with alot of turns. Couple that with the AWD and that might be it. The rims are 18 inch. Hope this helps, thanks-

Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM

I'm about to replace the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus that I put on a year and half ago. I got just about 30k out of them - what they were warrantied for. Before that I got about 30k out of the original tires too.

Looking for a longer tread life this time - even if I have to give up some performance.

I am currently considering Sumitomo LSH Touring with a 70k warranty and Toyo Open Country A/T with a 60k warranty. Anyone had either of these on their XC90? Would love some input.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:49 PM

I have a 2006 Volvo XC90 whichI just replaced all four Pirelli's scorpionswith Yokahoma Geolander HTSs'. The first set of Pirellis lasted 13,000 miles . Next set got me to 34,500.

Tires and installation of Geolanders ran 169.00 per wheel at local volvo dealership. They ordered the tires for me prior to my service. The Service rep indicated volvo was actually recommending Yokohama Geolanders as replacement tires on the XC-90, but I have noideaif that was official or just an unsolicited opinion of the rep.

So far so good, they seem quiet, handle well on dry, wet, snow and ice. Jury is still out on longer term tread wear. I only have 800 miles on them so far.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

Very nice, very quiet, smooth ride, very safe even on rain.

Got about 35,000 miles on them and barely any sign of wear

Old 01-01-2009, 02:11 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, make sure to have 4-wheel alignment done, possibly by the dealer (I know they steal[8D]but other average town tyre shops may not even be able to do the job right).

I am thinking that some XC90s came out of the factory with alignment slightly off, because I have read many similar stories.

Also, certain XC90s are affected by this recall:

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2006/12-...lls/index.html

2003-2006 models are affected with this tie rod recall.

JPN

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
eae

I just put on the Goodyear Eagle Response Edge. Great handling, good in the snow, quiet and comes with a 50M wear warranty. Shopped around and was about to use Tire Rack when my local dealer beat the price....

Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 AM

I ened up buying Kumho KL51 road venture. My dealer matched tire rack. So far good tire that had good ratings on tire rack. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM

My car had new Hankook Tires on it when I purchased the car used. They were cheap ($125.00) but have been discontinued. I got 45,000 miles on them before I ran over a nail.
I had a road hazard warranty and I replaced them with the Toyo tires. I have about 15,000 miles on these tires and they ride well and have plenty of rubber left on them. Unfortunately my T6 transmission has to be replaced so I am trading it for a 2007 V8. I hope this is the right decision! EAS1

EDITED BY MODERATOR JPN
EAS1, I edited your post as your browser seems to be putting out its transmission language.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 PM

How many miles are on your T6? I keep hearing bad things about the trans. I have a 2004 T6 with 44,000 miles and no problems so far. My warranty is good until May of 2010. Thanks.