Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo XC90
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2003, 02:27 PM

Default XC90 OIL - WHAT KIND DO YOU USE?

Ok, I plan on doing oil changes inbetween my scheduled ones on my '04 XC90. I was wondering what everyone else uses for oil. Volvo recommends Castrol, but my dealer uses Motorcraft. I was thinking of just using Castrol GTX for the first 10,000 miles and then switching to Mobil 1. What do you guys think about this plan? The only thing that concerns me is the fact that the vehicle is turbo. Will Castrol GTX be good enough or should I use a turbo approved oil like Penzoil Turbo? Just cursious what you guys think.</P>
Old 12-03-2003, 05:53 PM

Factory scheduled maintness call for oil changes when the oil service light comes on. About 7500-10000 miles.</P>

This is what I am doing:</P>

First oil change at 2500 using castrol. Clean up thenew engine shavings. Next oil change at scheduled interval and use whatever the dealer is using. Next oil change at scheduled interval with Synthetic Mobil 1. The car will have over 10,000 by then. I will bringthe oilto the dealer if they do not carry Mobil 1. I am a die hard fan.</P>
Old 12-04-2003, 09:10 AM

That's similar to what I'm doing. I changed the oil the first time at 3000 miles with Castrol Syntec Blend which is a semi-synthetic. Then the dealer will change the oil next at 7500 miles with the Castrol again and then I'm going to go to Mobil 1 the next time. Thanks for the reply. Once you put Mobil 1 in, how many miles are you going to go between oil changes?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 AM

According to the Mobil 1 hotline, (800) 662-4525 in the US, officially the oil shouldbe changed at Volvo's recommended 7500 mile interval. However, we all know synthetic oils last much longer than that. Commercial fleets running large engines use oil analysis and find they can extend their drain intervals many times. The problem is that microscopic particlesare either generated by normal wear or enter through the air system and can contaminate the oil. Unless the oil is analyzed periodically to make sure the particles are not building up, you risk shortening the life of the engine.</P>

Unofficially, some people change Mobil 1 at 15,000 miles or more, but change the filter more frequently and seem to have good luck. Personally, I expect to keep my Volvo for over 200,000 miles, and changing the oil is pretty cheap insurance. I figure that if I change the oilwith Mobil 1 at 7500 miles instead of 15,000 miles, I've spent an extra $600 total over the life of the car.Not a bad investment.</P>
Old 08-15-2005, 10:21 PM

Default RE: XC90 OIL - WHAT KIND DO YOU USE?

I use Mobile 1. 10-30W (in Northern CA). Change Filter every 5K, and change oil every 10k. Have been doing it in my 1996, 960 old lady since I boght it new. She still hauls up the hills just fine.

In any case, I suggest that whichever brand you use. Use only the syntetic oil. Because they withstand much higher tempertures, far better then organic ones. All late model cars use syntetic oil. It is bit more expensive, but at the end of the day, you will get your money's worth by having to visit the garage less often.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:21 PM

Tags
1030w, 2003, 25, 850, change, filter, grade, kind, length, mobil, oil, synthetic, type, volvo, xc90, xc90s