2000 V70 SE Wagon - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 V70 SE Wagon - HELP!

Hey all,
I've been lurking and researching on these and other forums since we bought our 2000 V70 SE Wagon last spring. Unfortunately, she'd been through the ringer before we got her, so please understand that I'm just trying to give you some perspective on what our girl went through before she was ours...

2000 Volvo V70 SE Wagon
We purchased: 4/2015, northern Indiana
Now reside: Colorado
Condition: Poor

We came upon this vehicle on Craigslist being sold by the brother-in-law of a woman who was known to indulge in illegal amphetamines and have run-ins with the law. When we got it, the interior of the car had been stripped by the police and at some point held together with drywall screws and such.

These are the problems we're having. As I've mentioned, my dh and I have both researched quite a bit, so there is a great degree of comprehension. I just need to get this vehicle in a proper condition to deal with the outdoor conditions. Any help is great appreciated.

1) Someone "sat" their elbow on the 'down window' button and fried the controls for the FRONT DRIVER. We bought a new control from Amazon and it has controlled 3/4 windows without fail -- the bad window being the one that someone camped on until it was fried. I can add more details later if requested, but I suspect that the motor is fried. I know there's a couple of options as far as windows not wanting to go back up, but I need to know the most probably considering the fact that someone literally took a nap on this switch. And if you agree that it is the motor, can I switch out one of the other door so I can at least get the window up? I'm freezing!!!!

2) Approx 6 months after purchase, the dashboard starting lighting up like a Christmas tree. There is a rhyme or reason to the lighting up of the dashboard, but I haven't quite figured it out. Some combinations inveitably lead to some outcomes, while other times there is no problem. The only steady is that the "wet conditions" (?) light flashes constantly. Other than that, I just find that some lights (on the right side of the steering wheel only) come on randomly. At times, restarting the car re-sets the issue. Other times, it progresses from one 'set of lights' to the other 'set of lights', almost invariably ending in a situation where the car will not take off at a normal rate of speed. This car has been driven hard in every way imaginable, but it has take-off under normal circumstances. However, when this one particular sequence takes place, the whole car melts into 1/4 speed. I have my suspicions about what may be going on here, but I'll wait to hear any input...

So, this car has a lot going on and this is just the start, but I need to drive my kids across the country for Christmas, and I would appreciate if anyone had any input on this particular issues.

Thanks so much,
Meagan
x-posting on a few forums, please forgive!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

As to the door issue, The motor should be protected by a circuit breaker. First thing to try is pulling the fuse (#27?) or disconnecting the battery (check youtube or google). That should reset the circuit breaker. If no luck, you will need to to pull the door card (inside part of the door) and make sure the window regulator is ok. As to swapping motors, there are separate part numbers for left and right as the unit includes the actuator so unless you want to disassemble both - better to buy a proper replacement. The random dash lights suggest something is setting off the traction control system putting the car into "winter mode" (ie where it starts in 2nd gear - not good for the tranny long term). This could be one of several things - ABS controller (a good write up Volvo ABS Problems ), ABS sensors, speed sensor etc. If one of the ABS sensors is bad the car will think the wheel is going a different speed from the rest... If you have a local mechanic or a store like Autozone, they may be able to pull a computer code giving a clue as to the cause.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your driver's window regulator is probably bad.
You will probably want to get the car scanned. You can buy Volvo-specific scanning software like VOL-FCR or BrickDiag, but you can also bring the car to the dealer (I don't recommend due to cost) or an independent Volvo mechanic. A good place to start is just scanning the standard OBD-2 codes, but I can't promise you'll get anywhere with those. Like mt6127 said, Autozone should scan your codes for free.
When you say "wet conditions" light, do you mean the little red light in the snow flake, or the yellow/orange up arrow light? A flashing up arrow light usually points to a transmission problem.