2000 Volvo V70 stalling out in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Volvo V70 stalling out in hot weather

Hi there,

I have a 2000 Volvo V70 that has been stalling out in warm weather for quite some time. It always happens when I'm heading into a stop. Idle goes down real low and then stalls unless I keep my foot on the gas...as well as the brake. It also usually happens in stop and go traffic. Every time I've taken it into be serviced they can't find a problem and don't do anything. Yesterday it was 100 degrees and we'd driven about 30 miles and it was fine and then right after we headed up a steep hill it began idling funny and my check engine light went on and never went off. Any ideas? I know nothing about cars but if anyone has had experience with this I'd love to know so I kind of know what I'm talking about to the mechanic.

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 AM

Hi
i have a volvo v40 and i have the same symptom:
I changed :
Spark plugs
coil pack
map sensor
maf sensor
fuel filter
injector cleaning
throtle body cleaning
also o2 sensor brand new
no vaccum leak
check engine on dash saying (misfire on all cylinders and 02 sensor bank1)

and still have rough idle and car stalls at stop
when car is cold starts fine after 2 min keep roughing very bad
yesterday the car stalls while driving on highway

please i need help
is there anyone who had previous kind of symptom on volvo v40 model 2001
1.9l turbo
from canada

thank you guys!!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Default need help also

hi i have a 1998 v70 glt with the same problems. got the car 4 months ago
every once in a while throwing a misfire code. now the hot muggy weather is with us in nyc the car after warming up gets more pronounced in hotter weather rough idle sometimes the car cuts out. i have changed many things also
plugs
wires
distributor cap
rotar
engine coolant sensor
maf sensor
still doing the same thing and i am my witts end
PLEASE HELP ME AND THOSE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM
THANKS

Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Pinnie
Hi there,

I have a 2000 Volvo V70 that has been stalling out in warm weather for quite some time. It always happens when I'm heading into a stop. Idle goes down real low and then stalls unless I keep my foot on the gas...as well as the brake. It also usually happens in stop and go traffic. Every time I've taken it into be serviced they can't find a problem and don't do anything. Yesterday it was 100 degrees and we'd driven about 30 miles and it was fine and then right after we headed up a steep hill it began idling funny and my check engine light went on and never went off. Any ideas? I know nothing about cars but if anyone has had experience with this I'd love to know so I kind of know what I'm talking about to the mechanic.

Thanks for any help!
Did you find what code error you have for the Check Engine? You should read it with an OBD2.
Does the car idle rough when cold?
If not check first to see if you have vaccum leak somehere, very simple just spray brake cleaner all around the upper
Engine and around hoses only when the car is cold at the first start.
If you see rpm going up and down while spraying around engine then you have a air leak.
When did you change the timing belt?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 AM

the timing belt was changed just 2 weeks ago. i have not checked the vaccum lines yet. Originally only every once in a while it threw a misfire cyl5 error code but that was in much cooler weather now throws the engine misfire codes on individual cyls and also mulitple misfire codes. it does not throw any other codes. this morning was high humidity and the car didnt start right away and its the first time this has happened. the only things i have not done yet are
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
any other ideas??
only thing that puzzles me is that before with minor idle problems at high speed car ran great
any ideas as this has really gotten me nutzzy

Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM

i was so frustrated i worked on the v70 myself to find the problem checked each cyl for compression all were ok but when i checked the plugs which were put in 2 months ago i found the gap to be 32 rather then the required 28 regapped them and re installed them and now the car is running like a champ again when they were put in the mechanic(?) never gapped them and car ran horrible. as of now i think my problem is solved
thanks to the forum
peter

Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 AM

update---- car is running much better but still a slight low idle problem so i changed from the aftermarket coil recently installed to back to the older probably original Bosch coil and now running 100% i believe (fingers crossed) now i understand when people here say USE ORIGINAL parts