No crank condition after working on unrelated

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank condition after working on unrelated

'98 V70 GLT 173K mi. Has idled rough periodically when hot and seemed to run ok when i unplugged the maf sensor. SO Yesterday I started the car moved it and removed the air hose from the air cleaner to the turbo. Checked and cleaned the ptc, replaced the maf sensor. After re-assembly i went to start the car and No crank! The dash lights come on and everything else seems normal. There is no power to the solenoid when ignition is in crank position. I checked all fuses and the start relay tested good. Tested the sockets for the relay #86 has 12v at crank position and there is continuity between #87 and solenoid wire (at starter) But the socket for #85 (ground) is not grounded. I get 8.5 volts between #85 and 86 when in crank position. I do not get continuity between battery ground and #85 no matter what position the ignition switched. At this point I'm considering an attempt to jump the starter safely somehow, or to take the ignition switch and or wires apart to check for loose or corrosion. Any suggestions for further testing would be appreciated. I would rather have it towed to the Volvo shop than to create more electrical problems! I'm thinking i could save a couple hundred if i can drive it there.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated: No crank condition

Today I pulled the green power wire off the solenoid (spade connector) tested for power and there was none when key in crank position. Using a jumper lead to the solenoid spade connector I left the key in number 2 position and jumped power from positive (battery) and she fired right up. Now to figure out why the start relay is not sending power down to the start solenoid? I THOUGHT I HAD TESTED continuity from #87 socket at the start relay to the solenoid but apparently not. I do however get some kind of ground (about 80 ohms) between the relay socket and ground. Could the lead be shorted out between there and the starter Or does this somehow run back through the ignition switch? If there is a short then why is it not blowing a fuse when the relay is activated? I'm looking for a wiring diagram or schematic but so far have not found one for a '98 on online. At least I can hotwire the starter and eventually drive it to the shop when that gets old.